SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P232 defensive ammo
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P232 defensive ammo Login/Join 
posted
I just picked up a pistol that I've been looking for. I've had P230's and P232's as well. but I always ended up trading them for other "must haves". I'm not really planning to carry this; however, I want to get some defensive ammo so it isn't just a pretty safe queen, and it could be used in a pinch. Does anyone carry one? What kind of holster and ammo do you use? Is there a vendor that has spare parts? I'm not planning to punish this pistol at the range, but parts are always a good thing to have, especially recoil springs.

Thanks

Posts: 404 | Registered: November 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have one now but have owned a couple in the past. They are great guns and very smooth when shooting. The problem, as you know, will be finding some parts.

Numrich has been my go to for parts but so is another favorite of mine, Top Gun Supply. While they have some parts, firing pins can be tricky to find. I am sure there will be others along shortly who know more, who can help with parts acquisition.

My 232 and 230 always ate anything I put in them but you will have to try and see what works best in yours. I like/use Winchester Silver tip or Remington Golden Saber ammo in most of my guns, just because they never caused any issues but that's just my preference.

My wife liked my P232 so much she claimed it for her own. I can't remember what iwb holster she used for ccw but there are many good ones out there, you just have to decide which you like more and how you want to carry it.

Posts: 7080 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I assume your pistol is a 380. When I carried a P232, I used CorBon PowRball ammo as its profile enabled it to feed reliably and perform well.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 380, I generally don't like hollowpoints -- penetration is always compromised if they expand as designed.

I prefer the underwood xtreme defender load, which will deliver good penetration, and the tissue destruction is likely to be better than FMJ (if gel tests can be trusted).

Incidentally, for low-recoil, low-price practice ammo, the sinterfire 75gr copper NXG loads are extremely nice. Muzzle energy is about equal to a standard 90-some grain FMJ, but momentum is less (and thus recoil impulse) due to the lesser mass.

Posts: 487 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Fiocchi or Sellier & Bellot if you want to go FMJ with a hotter, quality Euro .380

Hornady Critical Defense .380 if you wanted to go with JHP and the polymer tip will help with reliable feeding.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I carry either critical defense or any quality factory loading using the XTP bullet. You may want to look at these results in your research.

https://www.luckygunner.com/la...listic-tests/#380ACP

There are also compelling arguments to be made for FMJ or Xtreme defender type bullets in a .380. Personally I feel a sharp/square nosed JHP that doesn't expand will probably do a little more damage and still penetrate just about as well as a round/smooth FMJ, and if it does expand (as long as it penetrates sufficiently), so much the better.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3296 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
The Hornady bullets in either Critical Defense or XTP work pretty well in .380. They don't expand much, but they are fairly consistent and still reach sufficient penetration in testing. That's what I run in my LCP and PPK on the rare occasions I carry one of them. Worst cast is they don't expand and act like FMJ.

I'm interested in the fluted bullets like Extreme Defender, but I don't know that .380 has enough velocity to rely on the flutes and they cost way more than regular FMJ.

Posts: 2659 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some really good choices already listed above. I have tried most of them(PowrBall, Hornady Critical Defense. Corbon DPX, and Underwood Extreme Penetrator).
I would feel comfortable with a pistol loaded with any of them. However, right now my choice is the Underwood load.

Posts: 276 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
90gr XTP loads such as Fiocci during the summer, and Winchester 95gr flat nose during the winter for extra penetration.

These in my P238 Smile

Buffalo Bore 100gr +P flat point hard cast ammo also shown in the picture but I never carried any. Cost to performance ratio didn't pass my sanity check compared to the loads mentioned above.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I carry my P230, I normally carry the standard pressure Buffalo Bore Hardcast.

If I am in a very densely populated urban area, gold dots.

The Hardcasts penetrate. Almost too well. But, where I live, pass throughs are not much of a concern. In LA. Vegas etc. I try and be conscious of that though.

Posts: 892 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Federal HST
Speer Gold Dot
Underwood Xtreme Defender in the +P loading

Posts: 6786 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Before more compact 9mm off duty/backup pistols became available, I carried my P230/P232 and felt confident with it. Our department's armorers did a lot of testing and both Winchester Ranger and Speer Gold Dot came out on top.

Posts: 4568 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Either the Underwood/Lehigh Defense Extreme Defense/Penetrator or a good flat nosed FMJ.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 721 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Critical Defense is the choice for my P232.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Hornady Critical Duty and Winchester Ranger both have functioned fine in my P232.

Posts: 6459 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
With the exception of my Seecamp LWS380 (which are extremely limited on the type of ammo they can use), I carry Lehigh Defense "Extreme Defense"(68 grain) fluted, solid copper, non-expanding rounds or (if you can find them) the "Xtreme Penetrator", 90 grain rounds of the same design. The .380 ACP cartridge's biggest issue is sufficient penetration and using any hollowpoint bullet accentuates this problem IF the round expands at all. Fluted bullets like those designed by Lehigh Defense provide sufficient penetration, disrupts soft tissue like a hollowpoint but without the issues of unreliability of expansion.

The Lehigh solids function well with older designs such as my Walther PPK, that are notoriously picky about bullets that are anything but FMJs. My Sig P238, Ruger LCPs, and LCP Max all feed, fire, and eject the Lehigh Defense offerings extremely well and every pistol I've used with them has demonstrated that they are amazingly accurate as well.

https://lehighdefense.com/ld-a...d-ammo-380-auto.html

https://underwoodammo.com/380-...n-xtreme-penetrator/

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10268 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Thanks for the informative post pulicords.

Certainly not hollow points, so presumably legal even in NJ. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9472 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
The previous posters recommending any factory load with the XTP bullet are spot on. They're pretty much the only HP available with limited expansion to facilitate sufficient penetration approaching or meeting the FBI standard. I think it's also an ideal general purpose woods bullet for many calibers up to and including the magnums for hunting, hiking, etc. But especially for the 380 and the 9x18 in particular.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a YT video from about a decade ago that summarized this tester's results with available .380 defensive ammo at the time. The XTP bullet was the clear leader of this pack. I think this was even discussed on the forum once upon a time.

He subsequently tested the Extreme Penetrator from Lehigh Defense and found it did really well also, although it did have a real tendency to go beyond the FBI's 18" penetration maximum.

And about a year after these two videos, he put the HST through the ringer. Not as good as the HST name would lead one to believe...

-MG

Posts: 2226 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
<snip>
He subsequently tested the Extreme Penetrator from Lehigh Defense and found it did really well also, although it did have a real tendency to go beyond the FBI's 18" penetration maximum.
<snip>

I think the Lehigh Defense "Extreme Defense" (68 grain) bullet wouldn’t have the over penetration problem of the Lehigh Defense "Xtreme Penetrator" (90 grain).

Both mentioned a few posts above by pulicords.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9472 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post