SIGforum
PM9 vs P365 or P365XL

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/7420061684

October 24, 2021, 11:15 AM
CarpeDiem
PM9 vs P365 or P365XL
My current carry gun is a Kahr PM9. I love my P226 and am thinking about selling the Kahr and getting either the P365 or P365XL . The Kahr was stolen in a home break in, recovered by police and returned to me about two years later. There is nothing wrong with it I just don’t want it. Due to our situation (we travel full time in our RV) I can’t just collect things I’m not going to use. Looking for pros and cons to which one I should get.

“Always do what’s right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest” – Albert Einstein
October 24, 2021, 11:47 AM
46and2
It goes like this, basically:

If pocket carry is important, stick to the P365 due to size, else the P365XL is still quite small and concealable and adds a full handed grip and a longer barrel and higher capacity but not quite pocket sized any longer.

Beyond that, I like them both a lot and am now carrying an XL when in town vs the woods/mountains where I carry something bigger than 9mm.

To me, the P365 series is their best new pistol in ages. A future classic, I'd wager.
October 24, 2021, 12:02 PM
sigarms229
What 46and2 said.

I went from Kahr's the P365 platform and have never looked back. It is a far superior platform and its amazing how well the P365 guns shoot.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six
October 24, 2021, 12:50 PM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
I went from Kahr's the P365 platform and have never looked back. It is a far superior platform and its amazing how well the P365 guns shoot.

Yep.

The PM9 and the P365 are functionally identical in size. But anything the PM9 does, the P365 does better.

Much better trigger. Better capacity (nearly double). Better grip texture. Better mag release. Better slide stop. Better sights. Better disassembly. And better reliability (no need for a specialized break-in process to ensure reliability, unlike the Kahrs).

October 24, 2021, 12:57 PM
CarpeDiem
Thanks for the pics. Since you have both what do you think about the weight difference?

“Always do what’s right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest” – Albert Einstein
October 24, 2021, 01:02 PM
RogueJSK
It's not noticeable. You're only looking at a difference of ~ 3 ounces between the two when fully loaded (~20 vs. ~23 ounces).

Negligible difference in weight, along with the negligible difference in size.

Unless you're just one of those minority of people who absolutely loves the revolver-esque long DAO trigger of the Kahr, the P365 is a straight upgrade over the PM9 in every way.
October 24, 2021, 02:23 PM
BigSwede
I pocket carry, my PM9 had the job for about 13 years, saw no reason to change until the 365 came out. I waited a while to see if there were any problems, which there was one I believe and they fixed it

As said, the 365 does everything the PM9 does but better. Going from six to ten rounds in the same size package is a big win

October 24, 2021, 02:55 PM
Jeepster09
I would go the 365 over the 365xl due to smaller size if you want best conceal carry gun. SIZE MATTERS.

Jeeps...guns...German Shepherds!
October 24, 2021, 03:10 PM
ARH19456
I'd keep the Kahr and get a standard 365. The PM9 will take up little space and make a great back-up. I love my 365 series weapons but kept the PM9. The PM9 is slightly smaller in every dimension and mine have been ultra reliable. If forced to keep one, it would be a P365.
October 24, 2021, 03:39 PM
Excam_Man
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

If pocket carry is important, stick to the P365 due to size, else the P365XL is still quite small and concealable and adds a full handed grip and a longer barrel and higher capacity but not quite pocket sized any longer.

And don't forget about the 365X, same grip as the XL, but with the shorter slide.

Might as well just buy the one you *think* fits you better now, because sooner or later you'll end up with the other one (two or three). Wink

October 24, 2021, 03:44 PM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
And don't forget about the 365X, same grip as the XL, but with the shorter slide.

Yep. That's the configuration I eventually settled on for my P365. If you already have a P3265, you can just buy the XL grip module and some 12 round mags, and swap it over. The P365 uses a modular chassis system similar to the P320, so grips are modular, although it's held in with a pin, so it's not quite as quick to swap as the P320 system.)

(You can also do similar with a P365XL and the short P365 grip module, to have a longer slide on a shorter grip, if so inclined.)

I don't need to be able to carry it in a pocket, and I prefer the full-handed length, the elongated beavertail, and the slightly higher capacity of the XL grip.

October 24, 2021, 09:18 PM
VictorLouis
Rogue! An outstanding comparison post/pics, Sir.
Kudos. Really DOES seem to squash the little PM, now, doesn't it?
October 25, 2021, 05:38 AM
CarpeDiem
I agree, great pic comparisons.

October 25, 2021, 06:51 AM
CarpeDiem
quote:
Originally posted by ARH19456:
I'd keep the Kahr and get a standard 365. The PM9 will take up little space and make a great back-up. I love my 365 series weapons but kept the PM9. The PM9 is slightly smaller in every dimension and mine have been ultra reliable. If forced to keep one, it would be a P365.

Under normal circumstances keeping it would be a good choice. However due to our current life style if I start collecting things my wife will start collecting too. If that happens she has way more hobbies than I do, she will win the “filling the RV” battle.

October 25, 2021, 01:43 PM
Eagle1
quote:
Originally posted by CarpeDiem:
quote:
Originally posted by ARH19456:

Under normal circumstances keeping it would be a good choice. However due to our current life style if I start collecting things my wife will start collecting too. If that happens she has way more hobbies than I do, she will win the “filling the RV” battle.

I am a firm believer in having a backup gun, whether it be for your wife when you walk away from your RV or in an instance that god forbid you have to use the only gun you have and it goes into an evidence locker somewhere until court. Gotta have a couple in my opinion sir. And yes, the 365 trumps the Kahr any day as I have 6 365s and love them all...

---------------------------------------------------
In God we trust, all others are checked through NCIC.

Certified OPOTA Firearms Instructor, Taser Instructor and Glock Armorer!

October 25, 2021, 01:54 PM
Underdog
Note: I’m not being argumentative.

Why would you want to go from a proven pistol to a platform that’s had major function issues?

Zero chance I’m switching from a PM9 to a P365.

If you need more rounds jump up a pistol size.
October 25, 2021, 08:32 PM
Wasabi
I have a PM9 and a P365. I love my P365 but my PM9 isn't going anywhere. To me the slight difference in size matters when I need it. It disappears IWB in a Sticky holster. With a Magguts kit, I have 7+1.

October 25, 2021, 09:43 PM
sigarms229
quote:
Why would you want to go from a proven pistol to a platform that’s had major function issues?

Because not all P365's have issues. According to Sig, less than 2% came back for repair.

I have 3 standard P365's. The first one was an early production gun (3 digit s/n), it did have the return to battery issue, went back and since then has over 4Krds through it with zero issues. P365's two and three have over 3Krds between the two of them with zero malfunctions.

I also have 3 P365XL's and guess what, over 5K rounds between all of them and once again, zero malfunctions.

Also my guns have no aftermarket parts in them. I did convert the standard P365s to flat triggers but used factory parts.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six
October 26, 2021, 04:00 AM
R65
And don't forget the +2 kits for the 365 family

https://magguts.com/product/si...r-12-round-magazine/

Now you are at 14+1 in the X and XL versions, and the mag is only 1/8th inch longer.

That's right in there with the G19
October 26, 2021, 05:19 AM
CarpeDiem
I am a firm believer in having a backup gun, whether it be for your wife when you walk away from your RV or in an instance that god forbid you have to use the only gun you have and it goes into an evidence locker somewhere until court. Gotta have a couple in my opinion sir. And yes, the 365 trumps the Kahr any day as I have 6 365s and love them all...[/QUOTE]

Good advice, however in my case another back up isn’t needed.