SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Hoppes Black Grease
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hoppes Black Grease Login/Join 
posted
To my dismay, my TW25B syringe went empty. Happened to go to Bass Pro and while I was there, I picked up a syringe of Hoppes Black gun grease. Hadn’t heard of it before. But what shooter hasn’t ever used Hoppes and even if they moved on to something else, Hoppes was still good stuff, right?

Well, first off, I HATE this syringe. Bent a fingernail backwards trying to pry the damned cap off, then grease starts pouring out until I manage to pull the plunger back. My issues with the syringe applicator continue but once I stop the grease from pouring out I notice two things:
1) the grease is pretty runny. It’s more of a thick oil than a grease.
2) “Black” isn’t just a cool name of the product line. The grease is black. How the hell am I supposed to tell if the grease is dirty if it’s friggin black to begin with?

Ok, so now back to trying to actually use it. More problems with the syringe. The opening at the tip is way to wide. There’s no way to surgically place grease. Don’t worry, the syringe has a solution to that: there isn’t a way to just squeeze out a little. Pressure on the plunger does nothing. Until you push hard enough where it clicks and then the thick oil pours out like a Hawaiian volcano. Actually that may be a bad analogy, cuz the grease isn’t as thick as molten lava. There is zero control for how much you press out. And did I mention the grease/thick oil is black?

I’ve used good old Hoppes bore cleaner/solvent for forever. I often use Hoppes Elite oil. I like Hoppes products. But DO NOT buy this grease. Waste of money. I don’t even know how well it works, it’s not worth it.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1858 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3173 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
There are a ton of quality automotive greases out there that will match or exceed firearms industry grease. And cost a tiny fraction of the cost. There is no magic gun grease, just magic money generators for gun product companies.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
There are a ton of quality automotive greases out there that will match or exceed firearms industry grease.

I have seen that statement or something similar literally countless times in my years here, but the question I’ve never seen addressed (despite my asking) is how do we know which are best or at least better than others? How can I know if a particular automotive grease at the Napa store is better at protecting a firearm from corrosion and wear than a different grease that’s marketed for use on guns? Are there rigorous scientifically-valid studies that can be accessed to help us learn such things?

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are a ton of quality automotive greases out there that will match or exceed firearms industry grease. And cost a tiny fraction of the cost. There is no magic gun grease, just magic money generators for gun product companies.

I dunno about “match or exceed”. But I do agree that there’s no magic lube and most people way over think it. To be perfectly honest, my first use of it last night wasn’t on a firearm. It was on my baitcaster reel. And I’m starting to think I should take it all apart again cuz it wasn’t thick enough to stay put with all the spinning that goes on.

So why did I post about this product? All I’m really looking for in a gun grease is
1) ease of application (i.e.-good syringe)
2) it stays where you put it
3) I can tell when it’s dirty

Hoppes Black grease checked none of these boxes.

Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
quote:

I dunno about “match or exceed”. But I do agree that there’s no magic lube and most people way over think it. To be perfectly honest, my first use of it last night wasn’t on a firearm. It was on my baitcaster reel. And I’m starting to think I should take it all apart again cuz it wasn’t thick enough to stay put with all the spinning that goes on.

So why did I post about this product? All I’m really looking for in a gun grease is

Hoppes Black grease checked none of these boxes.

Thank you for the heads up on that grease.

The syringe Shooter's Choice grease comes in typically worked well for me.

Between Shooters Choice and Slide Glide, I see no reason to venture away from these two products.

I don't understand some folks passion to utilize automotive grease/oil though. To save a couple bucks? Do those folks really use that much lube for their firearms? Like sigfreund posted, I too have the same questions.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

TW25B checks all those boxes, so I don't know why you didn't just stay with that.

I prefer Slide-Glide Lite these days. It's at least as slippery as TW25B and appears to "stick" better. I loaded it into a syringe with a tongue depressor.

And I agree with the automotive lube point. My single least expensive firearm cost hundreds of times what my lifetime expenditure in firearms lubes will be.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
Mobil 1 Synthetic Wheel Bearing grease (pinkish/red in color) is what I put in syringes.

I bought a tub years ago and have only used about 40% of it. Works great and definitely lets one know when it is dirty.

As previously stated, there are plenty of good, non-firearms specific lubes/greases out there. The best part is that they are inexpensive, so if you don't like a particular one, you have only parted with a few bucks.

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

TW25B checks all those boxes, so I don't know why you didn't just stay with that.

I prefer Slide-Glide Lite these days. It's at least as slippery as TW25B and appears to "stick" better. I loaded it into a syringe with a tongue depressor.

And I agree with the automotive lube point. My single least expensive firearm cost hundreds of times what my lifetime expenditure in firearms lubes will be.

The only reason I didn’t buy the TW25 is because it was out of stock at Bass Pro when I was there. Had it been there, I would’ve grabbed it. I initially grabbed some grease/oil mix syringe, then I read it and said, no I want something that isn’t runny. The only thing there was this Hoppes Black. Little did I know....

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
FWIW, sometimes even grease goes runny - or at least RIG+P does.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I was at a company(photoshoot) in Miami that works on(maintains) certain aircraft parts. One tech was repacking the wheel bearings on the landing gear from a 747. He was using Mobil 1 Synthetic Wheel Bearing grease. It must be pretty good stuff.

Another interesting tidbit - the wheels on a 747 are loaded with 200 psi of air. They fill the wheel in a cage in case it blows.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mo4040:
Mobil 1 Synthetic Wheel Bearing grease (pinkish/red in color) is what I put in syringes.

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:

Another interesting tidbit - the wheels on a 747 are loaded with 200 psi of air. They fill the wheel in a cage in case it blows.

I don't believe they were using air to fill 747 tires.

It was most likely nitrogen. At least that's what we used for helo tires, ( Blackhawks, Chinooks, Apaches ) since air expands and contracts as altitude and temperature changes.

The fixed wing guys can confirm or correct me on this.

( Apologies to the OP for the slight thread drift. )

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
FWIW, sometimes even grease goes runny - or at least RIG+P does.

Slide Glide and Shooter's Choice never went runny when I had those lubes with me in Iraq and Afghanistan. TW25 would separate after a period of time when stored, ( we used it in our aircraft guns, ) but held up fairly well over there, too.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
There are a ton of quality automotive greases out there that will match or exceed firearms industry grease.

I have seen that statement or something similar literally countless times in my years here, but the question I’ve never seen addressed (despite my asking) is how do we know which are best or at least better than others? How can I know if a particular automotive grease at the Napa store is better at protecting a firearm from corrosion and wear than a different grease that’s marketed for use on guns? Are there rigorous scientifically-valid studies that can be accessed to help us learn such things?

I say it because the industry is filled with evidence of rigorous testing. The only place I have ever seen gun lubes tested are in short articles where they are used by individuals. Here is just one example of the level of testing done on industrial grade grease.

http://www.intertek.com/ocm/grease/

I'd be surprised if you could locate anything similar for dedicated firearms lubes. It sure isn't mentioned as one of the applications they test for at the above sight.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:I don't believe they were using air to fill 747 tires.

It was most likely nitrogen. At least that's what we used for helo tires, ( Blackhawks, Chinooks, Apaches ) since air expands and contracts as altitude and temperature changes.

Nitrogen is a gas, it is going to expand and contract with temperature changes just like air... which is ca 80% nitrogen. The idea of nitrogen in tires is that it won't age the rubber.

I don't know what is in Hoppe's Black Grease, but I still have some Gunslick Graphited Grease as well as some industrial molybdenum disulfide doped grease; both of which are very black and very slippery. Reminds me, I need to clean and lube the guns I was shooting over the weekend.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd be surprised if you could locate anything similar for dedicated firearms lubes. It sure isn't mentioned as one of the applications they test for at the above sight.

Hmm ....
Then how do we know how firearms lubricants compare to automotive greases and that the latter are just as good?

I’m certainly not in a position to dispute that automotive greases may work as well, or perhaps better than the types marketed to firearms owners, but that’s my point: neither is anyone else able to support their claims that other greases are just as good. They may have reasons to assume so, but they simply don’t know.

And not to flog a deceased horse, but these claims usually completely ignore a very significant fact. Buying heavy machinery grease by the bucket or even the pound is probably cheaper per ounce than purchasing gun lube in a tube an ounce or less at a time, but such trivial economics are hardly a significant issue for the vast majority of Americans who can afford to purchase and shoot their guns in the first place. The 1-ounce tube of Lucas gun grease I have in my maintenance supplies will last me literally years at my present rate of usage, and I shoot more than most gun owners. I can see how a farmer with a collection of heavy equipment or someone who has a vehicle repair business might have large quantities of grease on hand that can incidentally be used to lube his guns, but that’s not true of most of us. I have neither the space nor the inclination to bother with keeping such a large supply on hand merely because it’s cheaper per ounce.

If, however, someone wants to set aside the space and make the initial investment for tubs of grease that he can still be using decades from now, it’s fortunate we have so many good choices.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
You are probably correct. It makes sense.

[/QUOTE]

I don't believe they were using air to fill 747 tires.

The fixed wing guys can confirm or correct me on this.

( Apologies to the OP for the slight thread drift. )[/QUOTE]

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
If, however, someone wants to set aside the space and make the initial investment for tubs of grease that he can still be using decades from now, it’s fortunate we have so many good choices.

Yes I suppose so- of course if you already have high quality grease in the gun for lawn care, marine, or automotive purposes, you don’t need tubs of anything you already have. A small bottle sits in my gun kit with about 2 oz. of grease that might be equivalent to what I accidentally overinject and wipe up with a rag...and will last for years.

And yes, choices are indeed good.

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I bought a tube and hated it. Thin, runny, separates, and if some manages to find its way to your clothing (which it will at some point since my tube at least is prone to drip) it stains like you wouldn’t believe. I really can’t think of a gun care product I’ve liked less.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can look up specifications and testing for for automotive and aircraft lubricants. The grease and oil used for these applications are designed for high pressure and temperature extremes, in particular the synthetic varieties.

I don’t really know what is inside a one oz. bottle of “gun” oil or grease. I can’t find any specs or certs from any national testing lab.

With that said, firearms are not made from special metals not used elsewhere. Additionally, a pistol slide cycling is under much less metal to metal pressure than say a wheel bearing or machine tool slide.

So pretty much any lubricant will work. Grease stays in place longer than oil, so I use mostly grease. Over the years I have not seen any articles citing massive failures in firearms from using particular products.

If having “gun” written all over the label of your preferred lubricant gives you comfort, use it. I will stick to known tested lubricants that far exceed anything my firearm metals are exposed to.

Also, side note. “Air” is 76% nitrogen. And nitrogen in it’s gaseous state expands and contracts in same way as all other gasses.

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 20, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post