SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Hiking/Backpacking gun: does anything beat the Glock 20?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hiking/Backpacking gun: does anything beat the Glock 20? Login/Join 
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I’ve not poked “the Bear” on a hunt , but some HUGE Wild Boar I’ve killed and I have carried both .44 and 10mm. The .44 (Ruger Redhawk) It’s tons of power in a large and HEAVY package. It is also limited in rounds as you know.

The Glorp 20 has become my “go to” now as a back-up, with a KKM barrel, Underwood Hardcast, and adjustable sites. I can dot the proverbial eye of the critter, no problem, and I’ve had plenty of times to do it. A hot 10 mm is approaching .41 mag, and more rounds than my .44.

Call me crazy but I find getting charged by a wild hog quite exhilarating !!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
Call me crazy but I find getting charged by a wild hog quite exhilarating !!
I'm sure it get the adrenaline going!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Glock 20 is very popular in Alaska. However for your use, a 9mm striker fired pistol would have sufficient power and be lighter and smaller. A pistol in .357 Sig would have more power and be the same weight as many 9mm autos.

I would go with a Glock or P320/P365. When backpacking, every ounce counts.

I have seen many, many bears when in the Yosemite general area. Once, while sleeping, a small black bear walked on top of me by mistake. When small children are around, you have to be extra vigilant with regards to mountain lions. I have only seen two big cats while hiking, and think a 9mm would be more than enough power for them.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
Took a family road trip over the hill today stopped for some fresh fruit at some roadside stands, to the cheese factory in Oakdale for some curd. Then Stopped for a lunch at the new “wildfire public house“ on Oakdale rd in Modesto. Not bad food.

You were about 30 seconds from my house then. Next time you’re through I’ll tell you where to get the best peaches and pluots in he world, if you’re in the area before about 10:00 or 11:00 during the right season. They’re picked tree ripe and ready to eat and they’re incredible.

As you probably know, good strawberries are everywhere. But these peaches are something special.

Posts: 6367 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
What do we think of Double Tap ammo? I can get their 200gr hard cast locally.

http://www.doubletapammo.net/i...5_182&product_id=210

Currently my only 9mm guns are the Shield and a Beretta 92 Inox, so I’ll probably stick with the G22. But, I fully intend to buy another P320 in 9mm at some point, so that may be the long term answer and the Double Tap amok 40sw in the G22 is probably the short term.

Posts: 6367 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The XDM 10mm is out now. Either 4.5 or 5.25" Slide lengths are available. They might be well worth consideration for those without giant hands to fit a Glock 20. My Glock 21 always shot great but never felt right in my hands. My XDM 45's shot great and feel excellent in my hands.

Personal preference between Glock and XDM's both are excellent firearms but for me the XD's fit WAY better.........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Realistically your highest possible threats are:

1. Mexican cartel illegal grow operation.
2. Meth lab / meth heads
3. Mountain lion
4. Black bear

No matter what you bring you'll be under gunned for #1.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People are my general concern as was already mentioned but a G20 will work on them as well. I had a gen 3 and moved up to a gen 4 G20 recently and I like it quite a bit. Recoil seems slight to me and it's not too flippy. I drive through grizzly country a few times a year and we do some hiking. Check this out for an interesting read.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/...liber/#axzz5xtcFn3mm

I prefer the autoloader to a revolver, I'm not much of a revolver guy though. I think the G20 is easy enough to conceal in town but enough gun for the job. I also consider it will be carried more than it will be used and for hiking I have to consider falling into mud or a stream and sweating all over it all day. To me there's benefit to a polymer gun I can detail strip without tools to clean. I took a dunk with a 1911 once so that's a real possibility. I've had a big revolver specifically for bears in the past but, for me, I think I prefer having 15+1 of hardcast Underwood with two spare mags vs 5 -6 shots of 44 or 454. Bears are fast and I think the possibility of missing has to be factored in. I don't want to have 1 shot left when it's on me and we decide to hug it out. Just my thoughts on it. I thankfully have zero experience with facing off with bears of any kind.

I have dragged a large cougar off a road and I'd not want to tangle with one of those either though my understanding is 9mm and up is fine. They are ninjas though so I imagine you'd be in it's tender embrace before you even knew what hit you.

OP I'd say out of the options you mentioned I'd go with the G22 if you aren't buying something else. Since it sounds like a department gun just make sure you don't have some odd policy about ammo you put in it. I still prefer the 10 vs it's chopped version but ymmv of course.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A cpl thoughts on this topic...

I agree that your biggest concern might be illegal drug operations in the area and for that, a consult with the local forest/park rangers is in order...the idea being AVOID...no matter how pretty the scenery or how good the fishing is.

For bears or cats, I'd recommend bear spray with the gun as a very distant back up. That said, I'm not a fan of auto loaders no matter what caliber for last ditch defense against either. Years ago, hell, decades ago when I was still going after elk in Colorado's high country, I was packing out a big cow's quarters up around 9000 feet elevation. I'd made a cpl trips back and forth to the nearest two-track where we could get the jeep, but it was still a 1/2 mile's hike through crusty 6" snow and on a fairly steep side hill through the timber.

On the last trip back to the kill site, I found large bear tracks on my back trail...they followed me for 1/4 mile then veered off down slope. To say I was spooked was a considerable understatement. I'd left my Remington .35 Whelen out at the Jeep after the first trip so I was unarmed but for the 5" Ruana skinner on my belt.

I made the last trip out, after a scary 1/2 hour's hoisting the remainder of of the elk meat up into the trees. The crunchy snow and fall off from over-hanging branches had me all but running on that last trip out. It was the last time I hunted the high country without a belt gun. Later for the most part, I carried a 6" Smith M29 stuffed with hard cast Keith style LSWC's & backed by 21 grains of 2400...a potent load then and now.

I quickly found that a belt holster was no good with a pack board loaded with upwards of 100 lbs of meat; and resorted to an old standby, a 'tanker' type of cross chest holster popular with GI's and pilots in WWll and later, in my war, Vietnam. It fits between the chest straps of the packboard, and allows use either inside or out with whatever parka you'd be using.

So...boiling it all down, caliber and familiarity with heavy loads, combined with plenty of practice, in a revolver, & carried in a truly accessable holster. Thoses would be my recommedations...with bear spray as a primary defense tool.

YMMv, Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 728 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post