SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Don't be me kids...inspect used stuff before you buy it. UPDATE: My Gun Shop is Awesome!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't be me kids...inspect used stuff before you buy it. UPDATE: My Gun Shop is Awesome! Login/Join 
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’d start with a call to S&W.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Well... The grips look nice!

Lol...they sure are pretty, aren't they? They fit perfectly, too...seamless fit to the metal. Not the most practical, though. I was planning to swap them out for a set of factory rubber boot grips, but depending upon how things go down tomorrow, I may end up selling them off to recoup some of the cost of my $450 paperweight. Hopefully I don't have to.

Posts: 8411 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Well... The grips look nice!

Lol...they sure are pretty, aren't they? They fit perfectly, too...seamless fit to the metal. Not the most practical, though. I was planning to swap them out for a set of factory rubber boot grips, but depending upon how things go down tomorrow, I may end up selling them off to recoup some of the cost of my $450 paperweight. Hopefully I don't have to.

Smile Those grips really do look nice. IF S&W decides to step up and play ball and requires you to send the gun in, maybe consider holding onto those wood grips and instead include some suitable cheaper grips...maybe those wood grips will work on your next snubbie.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
OP, I bulged a barrel in a 60 s&w on the second shot I took…unknown to me the first round was a squib….s&w repaired it for me free of charge. It was my backup gun for work. When I talked to them they told me to send it in and they musta put it to the front of the pile cause I got it back a week later..no charge..I called and told them it was my fault and I’ll pay..customer rep said it was the ammo and have a great day.

You may send it to them and see if they figure out that the barrel was screwed in too tightly.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11244 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not unusual for airweight S&W J frames. Don't know if is a strength issue on the thin section of the frame or the barrel is over torqued. An internet search should reveal many others with the same damage.

Posts: 237 | Location: PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to read about this.

Like others have said I would be surprised if S&W takes care of the repair or replacement.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t know. I had a Walther P99 back when they imported those. A few years went by and a plastic part around the flu broke. Called them it wasn’t under warranty and they quoted some prices I said no thanks. Literally years and years went by and I decided to sell it. I won’t sell a broken gun so I but the bullet called them again. Totally different experience. The sent me a label fixed it for free and shipped it back. I ended up keeping it in my 40 stable. Worth a try. Or two.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like someone tried to twist the barrel because they couldn't shoot straight and wound up breaking the frame.

There is NO WAY the gun shop didn't know about that extremely dangerous weapon's obvious defect.

I spotted it in the first photo even before I scrolled down.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34076 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well, I called the shop this morning. Talked to the same counter guy who was there on my last two visits, and he remembered me. After I explained what happened, he didn't even hesitate. Told me to bring it back and they'd make it right.

So I took it back over there, and both he and the owner looked at it...they both agreed that it looks like the barrel was over-torqued. They offered me a full refund or replacement, so I looked around the shop some. They had another newer 642 that looked fine, but I kinda don't have warm fuzzies about aluminum J-frames any more, so I decided to pass.

They also had this. I'd drooled over it on my last visit, decided it was too expensive, and opted for the 642. But it's all steel, new in the box (so definitely covered by warranty), with awesome sights and chambered in .357 mag. Plus no lock, and it's even cut for moon clips. And it has the grips already on it that I was going to buy for the other one. I decided it needed to come home with me. During the checkout process, he even knocked $30 without me even asking.

Yeah, it's a very expensive J-frame, but buy once, cry once (or in this case, buy once, cry, buy again, cry a little more...but hopefully done crying now). Big Grin

So a happy ending. My wallet is a little lighter, but I ended up with what is hopefully a first-class J-Frame, and have warm fuzzies about one of my favorite shops. In case anybody in northern Indiana is looking for a gun store, Tomlinson's Shooting Supplies in Churrubusco will treat you right!

Posts: 8411 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jam0
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear it's a happy ending. It's always good to confirm you're a valued customer.

Posts: 20 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear the store did right by you. I worked in a LGS and we always tried to take care of our customers. You’ll love the 340 pro series. I have one of those and a 360J (with a factory bobbed hammer installed) that share time as my EDC. I have a couple other guns that I’d love to carry, but one of those J frames are with me 99 percent of the time. I carry the Barnes 140gr copper round in them (both the Barnes and Federal loading). I got so spoiled withe the cylinder on the 340 that I sent my 360 cylinder off to TK Customs and had them cut it for moon clips too.

Enjoy and I’m glad it worked out for you.

Stay safe.

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
A bit confused, so the new revolver is a current model 640? I'm never sure any more which are steel and which are aluminum framed by the model numbers. It used to be easy Smile

By the way, J-frames are awesome. I have several and carry a 1980's era model 60 (all steel) almost every day in a Milt Sparks IWB --- IMHO the best CCW combo out there -- at least for guys like me.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Glad they took care of you.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wacopolumbo:
Glad to hear the store did right by you. I worked in a LGS and we always tried to take care of our customers. You’ll love the 340 pro series. I have one of those and a 360J (with a factory bobbed hammer installed) that share time as my EDC. I have a couple other guns that I’d love to carry, but one of those J frames are with me 99 percent of the time. I carry the Barnes 140gr copper round in them (both the Barnes and Federal loading). I got so spoiled withe the cylinder on the 340 that I sent my 360 cylinder off to TK Customs and had them cut it for moon clips too.

Enjoy and I’m glad it worked out for you.

Stay safe.

Yup, love my 360J...it's an awesome little gun, and it's not going anywhere. It'll still do running and backpacking duty, and around the house pocket carry. It's a full 8oz lighter than the 640, and being scandium will hopefully hold up better than that 642. So far I've had zero issues with it.

The 640 will be for work, where the snag free draw is critical, and since it's .357 I could see pressing it into trail duty in certain environments. I imagine it would carry really well on a belt, too. I'll have to play with it some to see where it fits in between my 360J and my 3" SP101.

quote:
A bit confused, so the new revolver is a current model 640? I'm never sure any more which are steel and which are aluminum framed by the model numbers. It used to be easy.

Correct. The 3xx guns are scandium, the 4xx guns are blackened aluminum, and the 6xx guns can be either stainless steel or a silver-finish aluminum, depending on the model. It is confusing. The 640 is stainless steel.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 92fstech,

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Good to hear a happy ending.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear it got resolved in a way where you were happy. I definitely winced last night, reading this thread.

Posts: 17050 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yes, your gun shop is definitely awesome.

Q

Posts: 26199 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that they did right by you!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8317 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sweeeeeet... do they have another one?

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Sweeeeeet... do they have another one?

No, but there's a .357/9mm Blackhawk Convertible in the same case that keeps calling my name every time I go in there!