SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Quick 220 Questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick 220 Questions Login/Join 
posted
I have a love/hate relationship with the P220. I love the 220 ST but hate the excess weight. But due to a couple of hand surgeries and some arthritis, shooting the alloy frame 220 hurts my hand.

I sold my last ST several months ago and miss it. I am presently looking for another. I like to have at least 6 magazines for my guns. My question is were there any zipper back or dovetail 8 round 220 magazines? If so were they in stainless?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: xfarfuldog,

Posts: 238 | Location: SW OH | Registered: September 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’m not aware of any factory 8 round zipper back/dovetail mags. However, before the nickel 8 round mags became available, there were factory followers that did allow you to convert the older German made 7 round mags to 8 rounds. I’ll try to find one of mine and post a pic.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xfarfuldog:My question is were there any zipper back or dovetail 8 round 220 magazines? If so were they in stainless?

Yes there were, but you will never find them

I have several flush fit 8 rounders. The ones I have use the Devel style follower. At the time my family bought 6 of them since two of us carried P220s and we wanted extra mags

It was so long ago and done for such a short time.

One is in my top left P220. I put the rubber bases on mine.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking on that big auction site I see a couple of zipperback factory 8 rounders. But they only have 6 holes not 7. Maybe the seller is confused? A few months ago I stupidly sold several 220 magazines. All were 8 round with 7 holes except for 2 of the older ones. They had 6 holes and metal base plates. I prefer the newer polymer base plates because they are easy to assemble . also I see some Novak and Act mags. IIRC they are as good as the factory or Mec-gar magazines. Not interested in Promags.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: xfarfuldog,

Posts: 238 | Location: SW OH | Registered: September 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
It's hard to see how someone could go wrong with factory/MecGar.

I hesitate to make this suggestion because (1) its expensive and (2) you may find the size inconvenient, but have you gone shopping for a 220 Match? It's slide recoils a little more slowly than on other 220s and the extra weight does seem to soak up some recoil and reduce the tendency of the pistol to torque the wrist when the shot goes off. Even with the aluminum frame it can seem to be marginally less of a handful than the ST.

I'm not sure if the .45s are still in production (the 10mms are), but they do pop up on the online auction sites from time to time.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all replies. I'm watching some P220 auctions which includes a P220S. I will check out the 220 Match. Presently own a Beretta Cougar 8045, HK45C, and Glock 21. These three all give me lighter felt recoil. But I am still a Sig man at heart.

The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xfarfuldog:
Looking on that big auction site I see a couple of zipperback factory 8 rounders. But they only have 6 holes not 7. Maybe the seller is confused?

Both magazines utilized the same body so 6 witness holes is correct. The difference was the spring and follower

Mags with the polymer base plate have longer metal bodies than the original flush fit magazines.

One of the things I liked about the flush fit is that they could accept the Factory rubber base plates

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My last (and only) issued gun at my PD was a WG nickel P228. They had the flush fit mags and we bought and installed the rubber pads. Surely miss that gun. After I left, they issued Glocks.