SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Kimber K6S feedback......
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber K6S feedback...... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The "control core" grip is hollow, but huge, expending down well below the butt, and while it does add a very small amount behind the backstrap, adds substantially to the size of the revolver. With that grip in place, it's no longer a pocket pistol.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Lots of people use the KIMBER Control Core grips and like them. HOGUE makes their rubber over mold Bantam grip, but also no back strap coverage.

I use the HOGUE G10 DAO Bantam 'three finger' grips and have no issue with those, yeah also no back strap coverage. Still better than the smooth G10 'two finger' grips that came on the Deep Cover originally.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Used, they're a good deal. New, I don't think they're a bargain at all, and if you've done any trigger work to your SP101, you've got a better .357, albeit with one less round.

Yeah...it's going to have to be really good to replace my SP101. I haven't done much to it...just stoned the burrs off the hammer strut to smooth things up a bit. But it's a great shooting gun, and it carried really well. 6 rounds obviously beats 5, and I like the sights on the Kimber better...but the SP101 is a solid performer in it's own right...and I can comfortably shoot it all day long with magnum loads.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two K6s. Both of them are 2" concealed hammer models.

I use Kimber's rubber boot grips. They work well enough for me even shooting 357s and offer a decent compromise of comfort, shootability and concealability.

Kimber did a great job with these revolvers. They offer an excellent combination of good trigger and good sights in a Detective Special sized form factor. Perhaps ever so slightly smaller.

I find them decidedly easier to shoot than the J-frames and easier to conceal than the K-frames.

I like the trigger on the K6s better than the Colts. The K6s action feels like a K-frame trigger which to me is the gold standard in DA revolver trigger pulls.

Compared to the Sp101, of which I am a fan, you get that potentially important 6th shot and at least out of the box, a better trigger and usually better sights.

The K6s would be a good choice for someone looking to EDC a revolver.

Speedloaders for the DS will work as will Kimber's K6s specific speedloaders.

Knocks on the gun are grip choices are limited, different height sights might be hard to obtain, ... and it's a bit ugly IMHO.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...and it's a bit ugly IMHO.

Actually its aesthetics is one reason why I like it as much as I do. It's not traditional that's for sure, but call it a take on how a 21st century revolver could be designed, especially from a company who has not an ounce of prior history in making anything in this genotype.

Full disclosure: I don't own either gun. Came close to buying one on more than a couple of occasions, while the other is considerably higher up on my wantlist. I've shot both, each on several occasions now, enough so that I've formed enough of an opinion as to prefer one a lot more than the other. Also, I come at this from the perspective that I won't shoot .357MAG out of either anymore; that experience is just NOT a tolerable one for me with revolvers of this size, so my op/ed is qualified in this regard.

The Ruger: straight off I've never cared for how mediocre the factory SP101 trigger is. So unlike how Ruger does the GP100, which itself has at best an okay trigger action. But the GP's is at least significantly easier to work with. Nor is the SP's as good as the triggers on the hybrid LCRs, which I find is shocking that the company hasn't rectified this by now. I think Ruger did do well with the SP101's form factor; great size, heft and feel. But at least for me it's not anywhere close to being a pleasant shooting gun when 357MAG is involved, despite its added heft over lighter revolvers. So unlike my 3" GP100, and in dire need of some gunsmithing work for that rather foul trigger. However the SP101 handles well in hand; its grip area is relatively large for a revolver in this size group though the amount of rubber padding across the backstrap could use some thickening if I had my way. Small hands or not, a little more front-to-back depth would be appreciated, plus it might make shooting .357s more tolerable. As is, I have no issues with the recoil of .38SPL, either in standard or +P loads.

The Kimber: the K6S is also not a particularly pleasant gun for me and .357, but I kinda already knew that would be the case before I fired the first shot a couple of years back based upon my past experiences with .357MAG revolvers of this sort of size (including the SP101). Curse of small, weakish hands I suppose, but conversely I find it a breeze with .38s despite its usually smallish grip configuration. It has a very smooth and fluid double action pull that a factory SP101 has no hope of matching. Its sights are decent and perhaps a tad more usable than the Ruger's. The grip is small even with my baby hands but I don't generally use my pinkie anyways. But like the SP101 I would like a bit more dimension to the length of pull. Despite that, with .38SPL it for me is still a pleasant thing to shoot. And as I said before, I do like the look of the gun. It may not be for the traditionalists in the room but it speaks volumes to me with how it puts a modern bent on a centuries old type.

Head-to-head: the price difference between the SP101 and K6S may matter for many folks, but I find that I can look past that given how much I enjoyed shooting the K6S, at least with .38SPL and its +P loads. Similarly I find the SP101 is easy to handle with the smaller cartridge, but without some trigger work I find that I have more of a problem with consistent accuracy with the Ruger; curse of those weak finger muscles again but also a symptom of the jerky stacking in the trigger's take-up before it lights off. Sighting with either is about the same for me, though if I had to pick a "winner" in this area I'd give the slight edge to the Kimber. Add in the reality that the SP101 is down one round in capacity and at least for me the Kimber ticks all the right boxes and the Ruger comes up second in this particular two-horse race. Which is why the Kimber is on my wantlist.

Just as long as I don't have to shoot .357MAG out of it. Then I would own neither and just trudge along with my big ol' GP100s and 686.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
quote:
...and it's a bit ugly IMHO.

Actually its aesthetics is one reason why I like it as much as I do. It's not traditional that's for sure, but call it a take on how a 21st century revolver could be designed, especially from a company who has not an ounce of prior history in making anything in this genotype.

Full disclosure: I don't own either gun. Came close to buying one on more than a couple of occasions, while the other is considerably higher up on my wantlist. I've shot both, each on several occasions now, enough so that I've formed enough of an opinion as to prefer one a lot more than the other. Also, I come at this from the perspective that I won't shoot .357MAG out of either anymore; that experience is just NOT a tolerable one for me with revolvers of this size, so my op/ed is qualified in this regard.

The Ruger: straight off I've never cared for how mediocre the factory SP101 trigger is. So unlike how Ruger does the GP100, which itself has at best an okay trigger action. But the GP's is at least significantly easier to work with. Nor is the SP's as good as the triggers on the hybrid LCRs, which I find is shocking that the company hasn't rectified this by now. I think Ruger did do well with the SP101's form factor; great size, heft and feel. But at least for me it's not anywhere close to being a pleasant shooting gun when 357MAG is involved, despite its added heft over lighter revolvers. So unlike my 3" GP100, and in dire need of some gunsmithing work for that rather foul trigger. However the SP101 handles well in hand; its grip area is relatively large for a revolver in this size group though the amount of rubber padding across the backstrap could use some thickening if I had my way. Small hands or not, a little more front-to-back depth would be appreciated, plus it might make shooting .357s more tolerable. As is, I have no issues with the recoil of .38SPL, either in standard or +P loads.

The Kimber: the K6S is also not a particularly pleasant gun for me and .357, but I kinda already knew that would be the case before I fired the first shot a couple of years back based upon my past experiences with .357MAG revolvers of this sort of size (including the SP101). Curse of small, weakish hands I suppose, but conversely I find it a breeze with .38s despite its usually smallish grip configuration. It has a very smooth and fluid double action pull that a factory SP101 has no hope of matching. Its sights are decent and perhaps a tad more usable than the Ruger's. The grip is small even with my baby hands but I don't generally use my pinkie anyways. But like the SP101 I would like a bit more dimension to the length of pull. Despite that, with .38SPL it for me is still a pleasant thing to shoot. And as I said before, I do like the look of the gun. It may not be for the traditionalists in the room but it speaks volumes to me with how it puts a modern bent on a centuries old type.

Head-to-head: the price difference between the SP101 and K6S may matter for many folks, but I find that I can look past that given how much I enjoyed shooting the K6S, at least with .38SPL and its +P loads. Similarly I find the SP101 is easy to handle with the smaller cartridge, but without some trigger work I find that I have more of a problem with consistent accuracy with the Ruger; curse of those weak finger muscles again but also a symptom of the jerky stacking in the trigger's take-up before it lights off. Sighting with either is about the same for me, though if I had to pick a "winner" in this area I'd give the slight edge to the Kimber. Add in the reality that the SP101 is down one round in capacity and at least for me the Kimber ticks all the right boxes and the Ruger comes up second in this particular two-horse race. Which is why the Kimber is on my wantlist.

Just as long as I don't have to shoot .357MAG out of it. Then I would own neither and just trudge along with my big ol' GP100s and 686.

I find the Sp101, at least with the rubber hogue grips, to be more pleasurable to shoot with 357s.

Yes, there is a lot of muzzle blast but it doesn't really hurt.

All our hands our different though.

The Kimber is easier to shoot in 357 than the Smith J-frames but it is not something I'd be able to do all day.

As much as I like my tuned Sp101, as an EDC, the Kimber, with it's sixth shot, excellent factory night sights and better DA action is the winner for me.

I wish Kimber offered an alloy framed version. The K6s, while svelte for a six shot, is still heavy. An alloy framed version would work better in a pocket or on an ankle.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pm9:
After owning my K6s for well over a year, I have sold or passed on a number of now unused Ruger and S&W
J-frame revolvers.

PM9, what holster is that? I'm having a hard time finding holsters for the 3" version.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufactures Rep.
Picture of Ken @ Hogue Inc
posted Hide Post
Hogue also offer a rubber grip for the K6s that fits both DASA & DAO models

Look here for ALL colors available

SPECS:
• Color: Black
• Material: Soft Overmolded® Rubber
• Texture: Cobblestone™
• Includes finger grooves

Need technical help with Hogue products and your firearm?

Try the Hogue Knowledge Base for answers!

Hogue Gear
Holsters and more...
www.hogueinc.com
www.hogueknives.com www.heatedtoiletseat.com www.zombiegrips.com
Ken@hogueinc.com

View or Download your Catalog today;

2023 Catalog

2023 Knife Catalog

Hogue AR-15/ Catalog

Request a Catalog

Posts: 1597 | Location: Home Office, Paso Robles, CA -Headquarters, Henderson, NV. -W/Warehouses in San Diego, CA and Vienna, Austria | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken @ Hogue Inc:
Hogue also offer a rubber grip for the K6s that fits both DASA & DAO models

Look here for ALL colors available

SPECS:
• Color: Black
• Material: Soft Overmolded® Rubber
• Texture: Cobblestone™
• Includes finger grooves

Thanks Ken, but the Black one is out of stock! Any idea when that'll be back?

Also, does this cover the backstrap?

Any "G10" options on the horizon for DASA? The website just says that the G10 grips are DAO?

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufactures Rep.
Picture of Ken @ Hogue Inc
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ken,[/QUOTE]

Any "G10" options on the horizon for DASA? Nothing in the works

The website just says that the G10 grips are DAO? Yes, DAO only. Not compatible for the DASA version

Also, does this, Rubber only cover the backstrap? Yes G10 DAO does not

I can tell you our system shows a firmed production run planned for the week of Dec.7th, Should be ready to ship by end of Dec. baring Covid

Need technical help with Hogue products and your firearm?

Try the Hogue Knowledge Base for answers!

Hogue Gear
Holsters and more...
www.hogueinc.com
www.hogueknives.com www.heatedtoiletseat.com www.zombiegrips.com
Ken@hogueinc.com

View or Download your Catalog today;

2023 Catalog

2023 Knife Catalog

Hogue AR-15/ Catalog

Request a Catalog

Posts: 1597 | Location: Home Office, Paso Robles, CA -Headquarters, Henderson, NV. -W/Warehouses in San Diego, CA and Vienna, Austria | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just obtained a used one, but I haven't wrung it out yet. First thing I checked was my Safariland CompII's, and they work just fine with the OEM rubber boot-grips. With any other grip/s, YMMV. Second thing I did was to see if my favorite Taurus rubber boot-grips could be made to fit. Nope, nor anything else from what I can tell. They really have a scrawny grip-frame under there. I'd like a bit more reach to the trigger.

Anyhoo, I was going to post a thanks to az478**** for alerting me to the OEM's that cover the backstrap...then...this awesome news from Ken....

quote:

Also, does this, Rubber only cover the backstrap? Yes

I'll be placing my order soon.

Posts: 383 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictorLouis:
I just obtained a used one, but I haven't wrung it out yet. First thing I checked was my Safariland CompII's, and they work just fine with the OEM rubber boot-grips. With any other grip/s, YMMV. Second thing I did was to see if my favorite Taurus rubber boot-grips could be made to fit. Nope, nor anything else from what I can tell. They really have a scrawny grip-frame under there. I'd like a bit more reach to the trigger.

Anyhoo, I was going to post a thanks to az478**** for alerting me to the OEM's that cover the backstrap...then...this awesome news from Ken....

quote:

Also, does this, Rubber only cover the backstrap? Yes

I'll be placing my order soon.

Yeah, it is disappointing that they aren't making G10 grips for the DASA.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

posted Hide Post
I picked up the Desantis open top black leather holster for a 2 in Ruger and it works great with my Kimber K 6.looks like it was made for it .

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Some pictures of my Kimber K6s 3" DASA

Kimber K6s 1 jpg by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Photo Dec 11, 8 57 14 AM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Photo Dec 11, 8 57 34 AM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

posted Hide Post
My K6, DC is a work of art, and I’ve never owned a better revolver, but my 70+ year old, arthritic hand did not like the uncovered back strap. I had the G10 that came on it. Beat me up and was slick as grease. Tried Kimber’s rubber boot grip, but the open back hurt. Then tried Kimber’s longer wood grip, beautiful but still uncovered back and not what I needed. Then Kimbers Control Core and Hogue rubbers came out. I ordered both the same night. The Hogue was at my house within the week, and I decided to wait till the Control Cores came to try them.(took 4 or 5 weeks to get them). The Kimbers were good, but long, and didn’t fill in the gap in the web of my hand, as they were a little thin. Once I installed the Hogue’s I knew I’d found my grips. The slightly wider top, that also covered the backstrap, was perfect for me.
Great chance that what worked for me would not work for you, but wanted to share my experience.

Skip

Posts: 765 | Location: West Central Ga. | Registered: August 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I’ve never shot a K6. That said the ones that I have handled, while having a very good trigger, had an ODD feeling trigger. It just didn’t feel like the trigger my brain was prepared for. I can’t describe it. They just had “different” triggers. They were good but noticeably different.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I’ve never shot a K6. That said the ones that I have handled, while having a very good trigger, had an ODD feeling trigger. It just didn’t feel like the trigger my brain was prepared for. I can’t describe it. They just had “different” triggers. They were good but noticeably different.

I’ve got two a 2” DAO and a 3” DASA and know what I think you’re trying to say. There is a wall in the trigger that can be staged, but you roll through the trigger after the wall. It’s not something I’ve never felt in a revolver before. The roll through is what is unique in my opinion. My DAO is more pronounced than the DASA.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The trigger on my kimber revolver feels like a light striker fired pistol.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

I own two 2" DAO K6s revolvers. I shoot them a fair amount.

I will say the first time I shot one I experienced what you describe.

My mind expected a Smith J-frame trigger. It wasn't that. And it wasn't a Smith K-frame trigger either.

It was just a little bit different. It took me maybe 100 rounds to get used to that.

Now that I've worked with it a bit I really like the K6s DA trigger and prefer it to the DA triggers on similar sized guns.

It is just different enough though, that you will notice it when first pulling that trigger.

I'll add I've put a lot of rounds down range with Smiths over the years and was pretty grooved into the Smiths DA pulls.

I suspect that may be the case with you as well.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
The trigger on my kimber revolver feels like a light striker fired pistol.

I do believe you are right or at least that is similar to what I felt maybe a LEM feel. Like I said not bad just different.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post