SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sauer 38H - A Friend Asked Me To Identify "This Old Pistol"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sauer 38H - A Friend Asked Me To Identify "This Old Pistol" Login/Join 
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted
A long-time friend from church asked me to identify his "old pistol" that he had inherited from a family member recently. When he said "Sauer", I knew who (and where) to turn to. Gool 'ol Sig Forum.
I gave him the general info about the 38H that I have photographed, below. It came with a nice old holster, two magazines (one of which has some old .32 Auto rounds in it).
Is there any more specific information our brain trust here on the forum can offer up about this specific pistol based on serial number, etc.?
Take a look. (Click on thumbnail for larger photos.)

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a mid-war pistol issued to the army. Looks correct, even the grips (most break). The holster may have been for an Italian M1935 but without seeing the back, I can't tell. But, it looks like the pistol came home in that holster so it's perfectly alright! Tell your buddy to please use caution with the grip panels. Over-tightening the screws will do them in. They make replacements and I suggest you use those if the gun is fired. Nice WWII gun!!!!

Posts: 259 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: January 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That's a "Variation 3" Sauer 38H, one of the Germany military contract as evidenced by the Waffenamt acceptance mark on the left side ahead of the triggerguard, with a serial that puts it at early 1943 production.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Great info, guys.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As Dave pointed out, it was issued to the army. The "Eagle over 37" on the left side on the front of the trigger guard indicates that in case you're curious.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Is it possible to date the ammo? Would genuine WW2 ammo have collector value?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes it is dated on the headstamp and yes it is very collectible!

Posts: 259 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: January 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
Is it possible to date the ammo? Would genuine WW2 ammo have collector value?

I stripped all the rounds from the magazine. Unfortunately, it is Remington-Peters headstamp.
R*P 32 Auto.
No date code.