SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P232 makes an impression
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P232 makes an impression Login/Join 
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted
I went to the range at lunch today with a co-worker. He's a former Army MP, and brought a new-to-him Glock 22 LEO trade-in.

Unfortunately, he was having issues with it right off the bat. Multiple failures to feed.
Looking at the magazines he had I'm guessing they are the issue. They looked like they had been rode hard and put away wet (a lot). Hopefully that's all that's wrong with the gun - it also looks a bit 'worn'.

Anyway, I had my P232 and let him go through a few magazines. He acknowledged he'd never heard of one, and seemed skeptical that the little .380 would be any good.

Well he had nice tight groups at 7 yds. like he's been firing it for years. He turned around and had the biggest smile on his face afterwards. I had trouble getting him to put it down. On the way back to the office it was non-stop questions about it.

Score another victory for the little Sig that could.

Wondering how he'll like the wife's P239 next time...

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
If he didn't lose a piece of skin between his thumb and index finger then it was a good day.

I just bought a 230 that I haven't shot yet, I'm afraid. I haven't shot one in a decade and I'm worried about "thumbs forward" grip when I shoot it, since I have changed the way I shoot since I last shot it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wondering how he'll like the wife's P239 next time...

I’m guessing a very much indeed. Smoother, less sharp recoil, and more accurate.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
If he didn't lose a piece of skin between his thumb and index finger then it was a good day.

Can't quite figure that one out.... I shot a P230 (pretty much the same gun as the 232) for years and never had a hint of a pinch or scratch..... can't say the same for my Walther PPK.....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I had a P232 that would slice up the web of my shooting hand. I tried to like that pistol, but wound up selling it not to long ago.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raptor23
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
quote:

Can't quite figure that one out.... I shot a P230 (pretty much the same gun as the 232) for years and never had a hint of a pinch or scratch..... can't say the same for my Walther PPK.....

I have the same issue with my P230. I have to consciously focus on getting high enough up on the backstrap without allowing the swell between thumb and index to become exposed to slide-bite. Sometimes I'm actually successful at it, too. Wink

Posts: 33 | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I miss mine.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Bought a 232SL for myself for college graduation $425 with a box of ammo.
Best looking gun I have owned. But I could not shoot it without bleeding. Then came the first ammo crisis and 9mm kurz was pretty much unobtainable.
I sold it for more than I paid. Now I wish I hadn’t.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor23:
quote:
quote:

I have the same issue with my P230. I have to consciously focus on getting high enough up on the backstrap without allowing the swell between thumb and index to become exposed to slide-bite. Sometimes I'm actually successful at it, too. Wink

It's like the Browning Hi-power. Some people have a problem with hammer bite, some don't.

With the Walther PPK, the Sig P230 or the Sig P232, some people have a problem with slide bite, some don't.

Posts: 6621 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
The 232 always made an impression on me...mostly on the webbing of my strong hand.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Have him send that gun in to Glock, or take it to an armorer at a Glock event, they will replace whatever he needs and I've always heard amazing results.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
The only gripe I have against my P230 is that it is the only gun that I have ever had a problem with limp-wristing.
Range officer at a sheriff's department told me (in the 90s) that all the senior staff had them and the same problem.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4133 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raptor23
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor23:
quote:
quote:

It's like the Browning Hi-power. Some people have a problem with hammer bite, some don't.

With the Walther PPK, the Sig P230 or the Sig P232, some people have a problem with slide bite, some don't.

I think it really comes down to the shape of your hand. When I grip the 230, the muscle in my hand between my thumb and index swells into a bump, and the slide bites me there if I'm not careful. My wife shoots it and has longer, thinner hands and has no issue with it at all.

Posts: 33 | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcfiero
posted Hide Post
I've been lucky with my 230's and 232's. No slide bite for me.

Posts: 327 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: June 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As much as I like my P230's and 232 - I hafta say that my Walther PPS M2 shot circles around my newest P230SL today. I tried both factory and handloads with it and it just wouldn't group for me. The PPS is much easier to hit with ... but it doesn't have the sleek lines and sit-around-and-polish appeal of either a P230 or 232 ... Wink

Posts: 426 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
I have both a P230 and P232 and have always really enjoyed them. Although I don't carry either one any more, I have no plans to ever sell them. Neither Sig has ever bit my hand, although my Walther PPKs did. I sold the PPKs.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I've got size XXL hands and have never gotten slide bite from mine. It's odd I guess and comes down to a complex set of factors.

Posts: 3080 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a KD and KF P230 and KH P232SL and never had slide bite. Granted I don’t have large hands. Love these pistols and how accurate they are. Also have a German Walther PP and a PPK and PPK/S and never been bitten by any of them either.

"Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Posts: 1053 | Registered: February 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a p230 KG, all stainless. It shoots great even at 15 yards. It does bit hard though so I use shooting glove to solve the bite. I do the same with the PPK.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had two P232s, never had slide bite, but both of them had the Hogue Rubber Grips on them, I think they give more protection than the plastic ones. One thing I noticed is they both would eject the brass out about 10+ feet, very strong ejection.

Posts: 42 | Location: AZ | Registered: June 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post