SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 19 poll
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 19 poll Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
You can not argue the popularity of the Glock 19. Almost to the point that it has a rabid fanboyism to the point you can ask a question like "Do you guys have a running shoe you can recommend?" and someone will blurt out "GLOCK 19!!!!!". It is the standard for that size range of pistol.

The gun does have a lot going for it, and was the first gun in that size range to really shine. I get the popularity. What I am curious to is what generation is the most popular. I'm curious if there is a generation that is more desired, and why. I get that some people have a Gen3, and that's what they prefer because when they purchased it was the latest and greatest. Are there other factors?

Question:
What generation Glock 19 do you like?

Choices:
Gen1
Gen2
Gen3
Gen4
Gen5

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I've owned a few (30+, but who's counting) 19s. Some Gen 2s, some Gen 3s, some Gen 4s, no 5's - yet.

My current Glock 19s are all Gen 4 Front Slide Serrations models. I prefer the Gen 4 grip, it fits my hand better than the Gen 3. I also like front serrations, I like how they look and I like that they aid in performing press checks.

If Glock comes out with a Gen 5 with front serrations and no front strap cut out... I'll be looking at one. (I know about the MOS version, but don't have a use for the MOS version at this time, and I don't really care for how it looks.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1899 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Gen3 RTF2. Self explanatory.

Q

Posts: 26522 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Gen 5.

I like the G19, but the finger grooves of the Gen 3 and Gen 4 are too cramped for my big hands. (The wider spacing of the grooves on the full sized Glocks works fine, though.)

I made do with a Gen 2 G19 for many years, but disliked not being able to put a weaponlight on it. Plus the grip texture on the Gen 1/2/3 Glocks leaves a lot to be desired.

The Gen 5 solved all those issues. Great texture. Rail. And no finger grooves.

Posts: 32565 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Also, I doubt anyone is running around with a Gen 1 as their go-to G19. They're collector pieces.

There were very few Gen 1 G19s produced (around a few dozen, supposedly), and the last one I saw at auction went for like $7,000.

The G19 entered mass production with the Gen 2. The handful of Gen 1 G19s were produced as a special order for the Kansas State Alcoholic Beverage Control. Glock produced those early KS ABC G19s from a combination of new shortened G19 slide assemblies and cut down G17 frames.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32565 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I voted Gen 5 because of the 19x. Mine gets carried almost every day. I like that Glock got rid of the finger grooves & the trigger seems slightly better on the Gen 5s. I've considered getting a regular 19.5 to replace my 19.4, but there's no hurry.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gen 3 for me. I like the Gen 5's, but no need to swap out at the moment.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drobinson
posted Hide Post
Two weeks ago I rented a g19.5 at the range to see what all the fuss was about. I shot better with it than I have ever shot with my p229 and I’ve been shooting and carrying it for 16 years. Now I’m the owner of a new Glock 19 Gen5 and the Sig is in the safe.

Posts: 563 | Location: SC | Registered: April 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Also, I doubt anyone is running around with a Gen 1 as their go-to G19. They're collector pieces.

There were very few Gen 1 G19s produced (around a few dozen, supposedly), and the last one I saw at auction went for like $7,000.

The G19 entered mass production with the Gen 2. The handful of Gen 1 G19s were produced as a special order for the Kansas State Alcoholic Beverage Control. Glock produced those early KS ABC G19s from a combination of new shortened G19 slide assemblies and cut down G17 grips.

Really cool piece of history. I have really small hands and the gen 3 works great for me, I can see how dudes with big hands wouldn't like them.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gen4 stippling and dual spring recoil assy is a huge plus over Gen3.
I would have voted Gen5 but that stupid cutout on the front strap rubs your finger raw.

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I read somewhere that they are eliminating that cutout.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sg:
I would have voted Gen5 but that stupid cutout on the front strap rubs your finger raw.

Pearce PG-FML baseplates solve that by filling in the cutout. Also works on Gen 2s, which have the same cutout.

Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Had a 3 and have a 4 voted best. Finger grooves fit me great on both, but the "angle" on the 3 just didn't suit me. The 4 fits so very much better.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I voted Gen 5 because no finger grooves and large mag release.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never warmed up to the ergonomics of Glock pistols until generation 4. The grip adapters finally gave me a Glock 19 that fit my hand. After a lot of experimentation, I found the medium, non beavertail backstrap gave me the most satisfaction. The gen 4 finger grooves fit my hand well so I have not looked at later versions of the G19.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
This

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Gen 5.

I like the G19, but the finger grooves of the Gen 3 and Gen 4 are too cramped for my big hands. (The wider spacing of the grooves on the full sized Glocks works fine, though.)

I made do with a Gen 2 G19 for many years, but disliked not being able to put a weaponlight on it. Plus the grip texture on the Gen 1/2/3 Glocks leaves a lot to be desired.

The Gen 5 solved all those issues. Great texture. Rail. And no finger grooves.

Posts: 3448 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The total of my G19 experience has been with a Gen4, so had to vote that way.
Only other Glock I have any time behind is a Gen3 G38

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15401 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I voted Gen4 for the ones I have or had. Sold Gen3 guns to get Gen4. G26,G19,G17. Sold the 26.

The Gen4 G19 fits and has decent grip, a more reachable mag release and the finger grooves work for me. They did something, I think slimmed the frame, that made the Gen 4 G19 work for me. The Gen3 G17 and 19 were ok, but the Gen3 G19 was just weird feeling to me so I never bought that one.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8347 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I have three...

An early Gen 5, a Gen 4 I just picked up used, and a Gen 5 MOS that I'm currently playing with...

The Gen 4 is set up simply, and is a perfect CCW/Desk gun. I've always been a Glock guy, and the G19 fits me the best of all the models.

Posts: 1970 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Gen 5. Best factory trigger, no grooves, better texture.

I purchased a Gen3 from a forum member that had been given a tweaking. The Gen5 comes with all of those tweaks standard. About the only thing I don't like is the stupid grip cutout, but I've not put enough rounds through one for that to be more than a nitpick.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post