SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New to Me W German P226
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to Me W German P226 Login/Join 
posted
Been keeping an eye out and found this at a local show yesterday. Not a safe queen, but a decent find I thought for $600.

Some wear, marks on the frame. Steel mag base plate is a little bent. Box doesn't match. Seller told me it was a NJ State Police gun.

Posts: 54 | Registered: February 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Great looking P-226.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36841 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I think it looks great. If you're in the market for more mags, there are couple members who have some nice deals currently posted in the Classifieds.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
I think it looks great. If you're in the market for more mags, there are couple members who have some nice deals currently posted in the Classifieds.

I'll look around. I have another thread about mags. Hoping to find a few W German dovetail ones.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice looking P226 you have there!

Posts: 9154 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SWEET, that’s a really clean looking gun, looks great, I’m jealous!!! Sigs finest. I have a 1988 JJ. Your mag floor plate looks slightly longer, is it marked P226 on the bottom of the floor plate?? The early WG mags with the guns came marked on the floor plate. I bought several factory mags directly from Sig in 1988 and they marked on the mag tube instead, and with non protruding floor plates. FYI, take a look at your double roll pin in the slide. It looks like it might possibly be migrating out one side. My inner roll pin somehow was cracked years ago and migrated out, sliced my hand racking the slide. Probably a good idea to get a replacement set and new recoil spring from Topgun supply. CDNN usually has older Sig mags too. Even Numrich has legacy Sig mags.

Posts: 268 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
Nice find! Congratulations. When you figure out which mags it would have came with... or which mags you want to use, holler at me. I have several 226 dovetail pairs from my search to match my WG 226. Mine is 10 years older so the mags that you need/want will not be what I determined to be the match for mine. If I happen to have the pair you need, I will sell for what I paid.

Dave

Posts: 469 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I should have just had one thread, lol. So to the mags:

The steel base plate is marked P226 and is a little deformed.

So for that KE/1994 date, what mags should have come with it? No body markings, body markings, P226 base, unmarked base, etc.? (Down the rabbit hole...)

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thinking the mag stamped P226 may be older than your P226.

Posts: 9154 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
BEE
YOU
TEE
FULL!

About the mags, I'd say the one marked SIG Sauer is correct to that year, but it looks like someone put a P228 baseplate on it. Will it seat in the pistol correctly?

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
NJ State Police carried HK P7 during the 90's time frame. I don't believe they ever carried the P226.

Nice W.German SIG though...My first pistol was a 'KE' W'German P226 Cool

Re: Correct Mags for a 'KE' (1994) P226, they were Dovetails stamped 'SIG SAUER' on the side of Mag body, the SIG Triskelion stamped on the spine and NO markings on the Baseplate.

FYI - One of the Mags you have pictured has a P228 Baseplate on it, so I'd be VERY Surprised if it seats in your P226. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
BEE
YOU
TEE
FULL!

About the mags, I'd say the one marked SIG Sauer is correct to that year, but it looks like someone put a P228 baseplate on it. Will it seat in the pistol correctly?

It will not seat/lock in. I thought it looked like a P228 base, and another here said the same, as well as the P226 base is likely earlier than the gun.

So we're moving toward the Sig marked mag being the right one, but it needs a base plate. Plain/not marked type?

Just looked and my KE P228 mags are marked Sig Sauer and have the small circular symbol. Seems that would be the same for the P226. And unmarked base plates seem pretty available.

Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Very nice pistol! My 94 226 that starts with U501... came in the gray box. Does that yellow one match your gun?

Posts: 824 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
While the yellow box was used for quite some time, I think it would a different box by 1994 (small gray plastic box?).

Thing is, if you think about selling the box, they go for silly right now. You could make enough for a few mags and ammo.

If it has a yellow instruction manual, it would date with the box, but if it had the white manual, it would be from the early eighties.

Either way, it is a really nice P226.

Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esh21167:
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:

I'll look around. I have another thread about mags. Hoping to find a few W German dovetail ones.

Not dovetail mags but good mags nonetheless.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/8030094084

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Box is not for the gun. SN is way off. U114, which is like 1984.

There's a name on the box and someone crossed out the SN and changed it. Maybe different guns got mixed up and who knows...

My 1994 KE P228 has the gray box and I think the manual is kind of pink? I'll have to check later.

posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun and nice price for it. Sweet find, thanks for sharing it!

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there a manual or paperwork under the foam?

Posts: 268 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dubagel:
Is there a manual or paperwork under the foam?

Nope. No manual or test target, receipt, etc. Just the foam.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I can't believe someone put that P228 base plate on the P226 mag and just left it there, knowing it doesn't work in the P226. Moron. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post