SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I don't know much about 22lr suppressor hosts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I don't know much about 22lr suppressor hosts Login/Join 
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted
I have a 22lr can about to be let out of jail and was wondering if anyone could recommend a 22lr that works well with a can.

Also it's going on a 10\22 so Im guessing I need a an adapter for a handgun with caming barrel and do 22lr barrels come threaded isn't the barrel diameter too small?

First In Last Out

Posts: 4790 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are tons of options for threaded from the factory 22 pistols.
Ruger, browning S&W and just about everyone else makes them now.
No adaptors or “boosters” like needed with centerfire.
Screw it on and go.
I prefer a heavier traditional type pistol, and a few years back looked at the three choices noted above. ( I don’t care for what I call combat trainers- polymer framed guns meant to simulate at least to a degree the shooting experience of a full size service type pistol) much to my surprise the S&W victory was the Best Buy cost wise.
I don’t usually buy modern guns ( I prefer old wood and steel classics but wasn’t going to get one of my old classics threaded) so the stainless victory was it. Lowest cost option of the 3, near bullseye competition accurate, nice trigger, perfect out of the box reliability in my example.
22’s are known to be finicky, and I have only found one type of ammo it did not like, and this same ammo caused issues in several of my other guns.

22 rimfire cans are standard in the states at 1/2”x28 threads, and all the American guns come with standard threads pistol or rifle. There are some odd balls ( glock 44 for example) which has a European thread pitch and requires an adaptor to work with the American thread pitch.

The only “caming barrel” 22 I know of is the ruger LCPII everything else is straight blowback

Posts: 3292 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
No need for a booster with 22. You need to brush up on CT rules & regs- threaded barrels are considered assault weapons.
Best to have a conversation off line……

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
No need for a booster with 22. You need to brush up on CT rules & regs- threaded barrels are considered assault weapons.
Best to have a conversation off line……

I know all about the laws and am planing to capitalize on the new law making prebans no longer transferable and opening up registration for any asualt weapons we own, including hand guns with threaded barrels.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4790 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
There are tons of options for threaded from the factory 22 pistols.
Ruger, browning S&W and just about everyone else makes them now.
No adaptors or “boosters” like needed with centerfire.
Screw it on and go.
I prefer a heavier traditional type pistol, and a few years back looked at the three choices noted above. ( I don’t care for what I call combat trainers- polymer framed guns meant to simulate at least to a degree the shooting experience of a full size service type pistol) much to my surprise the S&W victory was the Best Buy cost wise.
I don’t usually buy modern guns ( I prefer old wood and steel classics but wasn’t going to get one of my old classics threaded) so the stainless victory was it. Lowest cost option of the 3, near bullseye competition accurate, nice trigger, perfect out of the box reliability in my example.
22’s are known to be finicky, and I have only found one type of ammo it did not like, and this same ammo caused issues in several of my other guns.

22 rimfire cans are standard in the states at 1/2”x28 threads, and all the American guns come with standard threads pistol or rifle. There are some odd balls ( glock 44 for example) which has a European thread pitch and requires an adaptor to work with the American thread pitch.

The only “caming barrel” 22 I know of is the ruger LCPII everything else is straight blowback

Thank you this hit exactly on the info I was looking for.

First In Last Out

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I've really enjoyed my Walther PPQ in 22LR. I usually only get about 1-2 failures out of probably 1K rounds at the most.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8853 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sig p322 is a solid suppressor host imo but I’m pretty sure the 20rd mags aren’t legal in CT.

My favorite 10rd 22 I own is a tossup between the mark iv or the browning buckmark vision… very similar pistols and the ruger is probably more readily available.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger MkIV 22/45 Lite, it comes standard with a threaded barrel (1/2"-28). I modified it a bit with some Volquartsen parts, but it works great with my Dead Air Mask can. It never fails to bring a smile on whoever is shooting it.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16701 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I played with this a bit. Perceptually, the S&W MP Compact 22 was one of the quietest, along with the Ruger Mk IV and, small as it is, the Ruger SR 22.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
The Browning Buckmark is an absolute treat.
I also have an FN 502.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger MkIV and just recently got my first supressor out of jail. This thing is a hoot! Best part is, the short barrel keeps even cheap plinking ammo subsonic, so you don't have to buy more expensive subsonic ammo like you do for the rifles if you want it to be really quiet (although shooting CCI Quiet out of my CZ 457 is quieter than my son's airsoft rifles!). No adapters or pistons required...it's a fixed barrel threaded to 1/2x28, so it screws right on.

The Ruger was a bit of a project out of the box...I had to modify the mags to get it to feed reliably, and it had some light strike-issues and a so-so trigger, which were resolved with Volquartsen parts. I tried some Tandemkross stuff first...save yourself the money and headache and just get the Volquartsen stuff...it's better.

It's running great now, though, and is a blast to shoot. So much so that I'm thinking about investing in a red dot for it.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I have a 22 lr can from Spikes, the Lil Buckwheat, and run it on my Sig 522, Ruger Mk1V and a Glock 44 with Glocks threaded barrel.

Runs fine on each of these hosts. If you go Ruger get the Mark IV, the disassembly improvements are worth it.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smith and Wesson 422, 622, 2213, 2214 and 2206 make great suppressor hosts. An inexpensive adaptor is all you need. no permanent alteration (threaded barrel) needed. The low bore axis means no need for suppressor height sights.

OZ

Posts: 160 | Registered: February 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
+1 on the vote for a Ruger pistol or similar. Here is my Volquartsen Black Mamba.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Nickel Sig - not being offensive about gun laws in CT. You cannot buy a pistol with a threaded barrel in CT- no Ruger MK4, no S&W Victory, no Buckmark. In 94- all handguns with threaded barrels needed to be registered- HK tacticals that came with threaded barrels.
CT “others” less than 16” needed to apply for the amnesty tax SBR.
Currently, CT is looking to register any CT “other” > 16” as an assault rifle.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Nickel Sig - not being offensive about gun laws in CT. You cannot buy a pistol with a threaded barrel in CT- no Ruger MK4, no S&W Victory, no Buckmark. In 94- all handguns with threaded barrels needed to be registered- HK tacticals that came with threaded barrels.
CT “others” less than 16” needed to apply for the amnesty tax SBR.
Currently, CT is looking to register any CT “other” > 16” as an assault rifle.

I don't take any offense I hope I'm not giving of that vibe.

First In Last Out

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I am a good resource for the NFA world of toys. CT is one of the worst states for gun laws. Arcwelder was complaining of Mass gun laws--CT is right up there.
I am willing to share my info--best not to do that online.

posted Hide Post
Buck Marks work well but I prefer Ruger MK pistols overall and as a suppressor host. My favorite host is a S&W Model 41. It's a top contender for my favorite gun overall.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post