SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Best carry ammo for .380? (LCP max)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best carry ammo for .380? (LCP max) Login/Join 
posted
What's everyone's recommendation for best carry ammo for the Ruger LCP MAX? Also what does everyone like for practice ammo?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry the Inceptor ARX in my LCP's, they also make a round nose with the same weight and ballistics for the range. A bit less recoil too.

Posts: 934 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
My "Go to" .380 ACP ammo are the Lehigh Defense fluted solid copper bullets, loaded by the company that makes them or Underwood. They're found in 90, 68, and 65 grain options. In either state, they rely on a non-expanding design that penetrates sufficiently and causes good wound cavities. In my experience, they also function in even older designed pistols (such as the Walther PPk) extremely well.

https://www.selwayarmory.com/u...ender-box-of-20.html

https://lehighdefense.com/ld-a...tml?all_caliber=3368

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10203 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
My "Go to" .380 ACP ammo are the Lehigh Defense fluted solid copper bullets, loaded by the company that makes them or Underwood. They're found in 90, 68, and 65 grain options. In either state, they rely on a non-expanding design that penetrates sufficiently and causes good wound cavities. In my experience, they also function in even older designed pistols (such as the Walther PPk) extremely well.

My advice as well.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The problem with .380 is inadequate penetration with hollowpoint bullets. FMJ has more than adequate penetration (overpenetration) but is notoriously ineffective.

Discounting the exotics, I settled upon two different loads- Hornady's 90 grain XTP, or its doppelganger, Hornady's 90 grain XTP American Gunner. Honestly, I can find no difference between these two loads except price, with the American Gunner being less expensive, or, at least it was the last time I bought .380 ammo. Hornady's Critical Defense load suffers from inadequate penetration, as does Speer's .380 Gold Dot.

The other is a full metal jacket load- Black Hills' 100 grain fmj, which is slightly heavy for caliber and which destabilizes quickly in ballistic gel. The bullet tumbles end over end and creates a larger cavity than lighter fmj in .380, while giving adequate penetration and not overpenetration.

Whatever you choose, if it doesn't reach the vital organs in human torso shots, it's no good.

Black Hills .380 Auto 100 grain FMJ out of a Ruger LCP 2.75" barrel, 14.5 inches of penetration

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
An in-depth summary of available .380 ammo by Ammo Quest.

http://shootingthebull.net/blo...-380-acp-ammo-quest/

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I carry either Buffalo Bore or Underwood +P equivalent.380 in my pistols. It’s been quite awhile since I have purchased any from either company so I’m not sure they’re still being offered. I guess I need to look em both up and get a fresh supply if they do.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

...I settled upon two different loads- Hornady's 90 grain XTP, or its doppelganger, Hornady's 90 grain XTP American Gunner...

Same here. Jimmy, you've got mail.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Mike carries Hornady in her Body guard, and practices with 90gr fmj reloads

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11288 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
...I settled upon two different loads- Hornady's 90 grain XTP, or its doppelganger, Hornady's 90 grain XTP American Gunner...
Same here.
Actually, you've misquoted me.

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SteveR2012
posted Hide Post
Another resource for testing can be found here:- https://www.luckygunner.com/la...ballistic-tests/#9mm. Just scroll up for 380acp results. Right at the top of the page is the methodology used.

Posts: 109 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
The Fiocchi Hyperperformance (formerly Extrema) with the XTP bullet performed well in tests I saw years ago, and has run well in my P238. I use the Fiocchi FMJ at the range.

Hornady Critical Defense FTX (not XTP) rounds kept misfeeding in my P238.

If you go with fluted bullets, test them thoroughly. I couldn't get them to work in my P220 10mm. Kept getting hung on the feed ramp.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6046 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, you're going to have a tough time getting much to expand out of the LCP's short barrel. But, see if you can find some of Federal's HydraShok DEEP .380 ammunition. It seems to be performing well from a variety of barrel lengths. I carry it in my G42 and have been happy with performance.

Posts: 1 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: November 11, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post