SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My two favorite Old Germans
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My two favorite Old Germans Login/Join 
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted
As the son of two German born parents I have long had an affinity for firearms from that country… but these two mean more to me than the others.

On top: The ‘Family Luger’:
Before I knew the story behind the P.08 I was asked a question about it by the young lady I was dating at the time.  She was moving out of an apartment into her own condo and her father thought she should have a gun for self protection.
She asked me if a Luger was a good choice for a novice gun owner.  While she had been deer hunting with her Dad, she was not a ‘handgun person’.  I opined that a 6-shot .38 revolver would be a better choice for her situation.  
Skip ahead to the two of us eloping to Reno to get married.  My new FIL was very happy that we saved him some big wedding costs that he gave me the Luger as a wedding gift.  41 years later my wife still calls it “the bribe”.
It turns out the gun was a WWII bring-back by his brother.  The brother died in Korea and the pistol went to my FIL.  So now I am keeper of the Family Luger.  BTW, it is a very fine shooter!

Lower: ‘The Gift:
A friend of 65 years and retired Green Beret gave me this P38 in 1979 for helping him sell off his gun collection before he moved to Germany. He had been stationed in Berlin during Vietnam and wanted to go back to his then girlfriend and live in Hamburg permanently. That never happened. He is still in Portland OR and has rearmed! The gun has all matching numbers, including the magazine, plus all Nazi markings are intact. It came with a hard shell holster marked ‘1941’ and ‘P38’ and has a name written on the inside of the top flap.

Both cost me $0 but are priceless. I hope my two grandsons will take good care of them.

Posts: 3997 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful and great stories in how you acquired them.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
A couple of VERY Fine looking weapons you have there, Sir! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Nice pair & story. Thank yo for sharing these. Cheers

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! I love how those early P.38s have the stamp on the hammer (and sometimes on other small parts).

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Beautiful historic pair in such great condition. Nice addition to your collection.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1529 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. BTW you probably already know but AC is the manufacturer code for "Walther" and 41 is obviously 1941. So yours was actually made in the Walther factory. I have an AC41 also.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Beautiful AC41

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Lovely guns Z06. And they came to you in great circumstances.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, both of them. Great stories attached as well.

That P38 in particular catches my eye. I also have an all-matching AC44 (save for the Spreewerk magazine), and there's myriad tiny differences. Neat to compare. Mine is not in as nice of shape as yours, and the machining is very rough. This thing was never polished at the factory, and every piece on yours clearly was - that's a beautiful finish. Being late war, this is not a surprise, but it is nice to see what the earlier examples look like. Thanks for posting!

Posts: 17054 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Since the grandsons are currently 14 and 9 these two guns may hopefully have a long run in the family.

Posts: 3997 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Z06 thanks for posting the excellent photo of your Luger and P38 along with the story of how you acquired both pistols, very interesting. I'v been watching a youtube channel Legacy Collectables that features both pistols in their weekly episodes. Lots of good info.

Posts: 185 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need a PP series pistol.

Posts: 270 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need a P5C !

Posts: 342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Those sure are purty!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pistols.I have an all matching(except for the mag)AC 41 also. The P38 was one of the first DA/SA sidearms issued. The DA trigger pull is horrendous, but the SA is nice. It obviously replace the Luger. I have a DWM 1916 Luger also. It's all matching except for the mag which is an aluminum bottomed WW2 issue. Who manufactured your Luger?????

Posts: 652 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've owned multiple P38s, but never a Luger. Always wanted one, but never enough to pony up the cash. I handled a Mauser example once (BYF) and was amazed at the quality and precision fit of the parts.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
MMSIG229 the Luger is a typical late war factory (?) refurb mixed parts gun. It has several serial #s on various parts. The toggle is marked byf and 42. The Germans were getting as many small arms back in service but they still put together a very complete and reliable gun. Except for the 'mix-master' markings it's a great gun.