SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    B&T TP9, good to go?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

B&T TP9, good to go? Login/Join 
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted
Have a variety of PCCs already and I'm looking for something a bit different. The B&T TP9 pistol has caught my eye. Thinking about getting one for eventual conversion to an SBR.

If you've got one or have had one what was your experience?

Thanks!

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Military Arms Channel did some videos on it a few years ago and they seemed to like it. I've always thought it was a neat gun, but you'd have to go all out and SBR it, get a VFG (factory for the guns with the ugly molded hole or Custom Smith Manufacturing for the pic rail model), and get the proprietary suppressor. Pretty expensive proposition.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
Definitely going to have to part with some cha-ching, but I think I can swing it. As long as it's reliable. Saw the videos MAC did, that's what caught my eye.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one and like it very much. Mine has the small angled handle on the fore grip and a tail hook brace. Very compact, accurate, reliable. Pistol and 5 mags fit into a small backpack. The can is expensive and large, but very quiet. My can still in ATF jail.

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
Are the suppressors from B&T the only ones that will fit the TP9?

posted Hide Post
Yep it’s good to go. I had one and sold it. I like my CZ EVO better. More after market options.

Posts: 141 | Location: Fort Myers, FL , USA | Registered: March 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haver not had a TP9. Want one though. Always thought they make a heck of a lot of sense, in the PCC/SMG spectrum. Ultra compact, with the mag in the grip, and a locking action. The benefits of a locking action, but smaller than it's MP5 and MPX competitors.

Posts: 2087 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TooTech:
Are the suppressors from B&T the only ones that will fit the TP9?

It’s the only one you want to use,I think there are one or two other huge volume cans that work. Adapters were made at certain points but because of the TP9s operating system Any can that doesn’t have a VERY large internal volume will likely damage the gun with increased back pressure.

I like mine a lot, the trigger is long but it’s not unworkable and it’s a really great size that’s in between standard sub gun and machinepistol. Easy to mount optics and it’s very reliable, at least mine has been.

Posts: 267 | Registered: November 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
1. Yes from I have seen it’s a cool little gun an good to go
2. If I was gonna drop that coin and wanted as small as possible I would rather get an APC9k because: A. For my research (never owned TP9) the APC9’s slightly bigger platform give it enough of a shootability edge more like a sub hun than a hand gun and B. More options for cans. I have a omega 9k on an APC and don’t think I need anything smaller. Put it on a APC9k and I think the size shootbaility ratio is slightly better than a TP9 from what I have read.

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amurr:
1. Yes from I have seen it’s a cool little gun an good to go
2. If I was gonna drop that coin and wanted as small as possible I would rather get an APC9k because: A. For my research (never owned TP9) the APC9’s slightly bigger platform give it enough of a shootability edge more like a sub hun than a hand gun and B. More options for cans. I have a omega 9k on an APC and don’t think I need anything smaller. Put it on a APC9k and I think the size shootbaility ratio is slightly better than a TP9 from what I have read.

Really just looking for a range toy and something to wow the locals with. For USPSA shoots my SIG MPX sbr is my default firearm.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I have one, a DSA import I got for $900 used many years ago. I've also got the can for it. Nice setup but no way I'd pay what they cost today; an APC9K is a better buy

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blackwaterp226
posted Hide Post
TP9 is nice, but if you're going to spend that money, use it on the B&T GHM9 instead. I own the TP9, GHM9, APC9k, Sig MPX, CZ Scorpion, and MKE 94k, and the B&T GHM9 shoots super soft like the MPX. The Scorpion hits your shoulder so hard with that heavy bolt. If you want a soft shooter go with the GHM9 or MPX. The APC9k is great, but the GHM9 does the same thing at a way lower price.

Posts: 257 | Location: Deep South | Registered: May 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I have a friend on the forum here that has one of the DSA imports and he’s spent some $ getting it right with the can and the finally correct angled grip. He went through a lot trying to get it right. I have to admit, the sound is quite dampened when shooting suppressed. I’ll also admit that I owned a Steyr SPP back in the day and it was nice but only acceptable to me with a stock so we parted. Like the others, if I had to pick, I’d picked the APC9k or the GHM9k. I have the APC9 and the GHM9 and they are so closely comparable in shooting impulse and quality it’s crazy. The TP9 is a nice weapon so if that’s what you want, go for it. It’s a excellent little PCC, especially supressed.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the looks of the TP-9 compared to a Steyr SPP I owned years ago. The TP-9 has more going for it than the SPP did-rails,ability to make it a sbr as the frame allows for a stock and the ability to add a suppressor or other flash hider/comp. to name a few. The SPP was a cool gun to have but really worthless if you were trying to do anything else to it as parts were impossible or very expensive to come by. The trigger on the SPP was terrible and long,kind of reminded me of the old HK VP70( had one of those as well), in that it was a long pull and heavy if I remember right. I have heard the TP-9 is better as far as that was concerned.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who responded!

I noticed from a picture posted here that there is a version of the TP9 that has a section of picatinny rail on the front underside of the receiver. Is this version still imported? Seems more useful than the frame that has a round receptacle that is only useful for attaching the proprietary B&T handgrip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TooTech:
Thanks to all who responded!

I noticed from a picture posted here that there is a version of the TP9 that has a section of picatinny rail on the front underside of the receiver. Is this version still imported? Seems more useful than the frame that has a round receptacle that is only useful for attaching the proprietary B&T handgrip.

The answer is either yes or possibly that they are making them here now. I have seen these available from wholesalers in the last month or so.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post