SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Have a new-to-me XDS 45 and looking for info/advice about it
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have a new-to-me XDS 45 and looking for info/advice about it Login/Join 
posted
I've been a gun guy since I came back from SE Asia in late '68. And I shot rifles and shotguns before I went in the service, mostly hunting rifles and 22s. I've had most of the pistols and revolvers but never, ever, even touched an XD. Now I got one.

I was at my gunsmiths a few days ago and he brought out an original XDS with the 3.13 inch barrel in 45-not the newer model. He was selling it at a good price for a 97 year old man whom, I believe, bought the gun originally from my gunsmith some years ago. Price was very fair, and I called SA after the purchase and they said it was updated, because of a recall, some 10 years ago.

I shot it with my new G49 and my Bodyguard 2.0 and was quite pleased with the lack of felt recoil. Worked perfectly with a couple boxes of self defense ammo (hadn't bought any fmjs for range ammo but had some good ammo in the safe).

I've ordered more mags (came with a 5 and two 6 rounders) and purchased a Tulster IWB from Amazon.

I thought I'd despise the grip safety but it's not noticeable to me, when carrying or shooting, at least so far.

I'm asking if there is anything more I ought to know about this pistol as I am thinking I'm gonna give carrying it a try. It's not as big and heavy, in my IWB holster, as it looks or as I thought it would be, at least so far.

Thanks,

Bob

Posts: 1676 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
There was a recall on them. Came back with a worse trigger.
I did some action smoothing and changed some parts to make it better. (https://powderriverprecision.com IIRC??)
I added a fiber optic front sight.

I love it, but it sort of got set aside when I bought my Hellcat. Still use it a little for winter woods activities (when I'm not supposed to have a cartridge firing weapon...) allegedly.

Posts: 21375 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one several years ago. Nothing wrong with it, stout as you would expect but not overly so. Grip safety was not an issue at all. I also had to send it back for the recall but do not remember the trigger being a problem either. Only reason I traded it was I decided I preferred capacity over caliber for a carry gun.

Posts: 577 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like there's not a lot to note about the XDS save the recall. Mine was updated by the previous owner, and the trigger is pretty descent.

I've carried this pistol in my Tulster IWB for the past two days, 12+ hours each day, and it has not been a problem size or weight wise. Going on 10 hours so far today. The Tulster hides the gun well (3rd one I've had from that company) and I have an extra mag in a Snagmag. I have more new mags coming tomorrow and may drop another 6 rounder in my pocket in a Ammo Armor mag cover from Sneaky Pete's for a total of 19 rounds (which I sure hope I never need outside the pistol range).

Thank to the posters who contributed.

Bob

Posts: 1676 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one in 4”. It’s a good pistol. Never had a problem with it. I didn’t care for the grip safety so I used a strip of Talon grip tape to pin it down. It has a trigger bar safety so I see no need for a grip safety.

Posts: 67 | Registered: April 28, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bearverine
posted Hide Post
I had one several years ago. At the time a very nice cc pistol. .45 was a little much, launched off of a platform that small and light, for my little girl hands. Sold it to a work buddy who was a .45 purist, and moved on. He still has it, I believe.

There's a man with a pointy stick at the door!

Posts: 488 | Location: Winchester, Indiana | Registered: April 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post