SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone have or ever shoot a B&T USW?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have or ever shoot a B&T USW? Login/Join 
posted
I handled one maybe six or seven years ago, and thought it was darn cool, and very nice (fit/finish). Is there a reason it doesn't get much mention? It seems the concept has taken off, with things like the Flux Raider setups for P320 fire control units. The USW was, when compared to the current trend, potentially ahead of it's time.

It's still a gun I'd like to have. I'd certainly SBR it, apply a MFAL of some sort to the bottom rail, and a silencer to the front. It could even fill a (far-fetched) practical role as a handy and capable bedside gun or packable outdoor recreation companion.

If I had to guess as to why it's not more popular, I'd put money on the price tag and the fact it doesn't take Glock mags Roll Eyes.

Posts: 2294 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say its previous lack of popularity is more due to dealing with prior headache and expense of getting the tax stamp on what amounts to being a glorified breathed-over SIG, albeit with the heft of a brand name like B&T. Which as you mentioned, carries an equally hefty hit to one's wallet. It also, at least for me, pushed up the against my boundary of 'logical need' and even 'impractical want'.

I've got B&Ts that take Glock mags and I couldn't be happier. I've got two buddies who have B&Ts that take P320 mags and they couldn't be happier. But prior to me adding the APC9k and GHM9 to my horde, I looked at the USW and simply couldn't justify the point of owning such a thing as the USW even though I have plenty of P320 gear in the safe to go with it. It's vibe to me that it was kind of cool but it's also kind of not, if that makes any sense.

-MG

Posts: 2068 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
pushed up the against my boundary of 'logical need' and even 'impractical want'
I hear ya. I reckon that's why I have never progressed beyond intermittent pondering, over these seven years. Though it's persistence in my mind is commendable. I could easily justify it to myself as an impractical want that I could feel good about indulging. I do try and create logical need for it though, as that makes it that much easier to stomach. I don't think it's overly spendy, for what it is; being a niche Swiss pistol and all.

I have nothing against Glock mags, I just never understood why so many people are so quick to discount a potentially nice subgun or PCC if it doesn't use them.

I think guns like the USW, and the newer Flux thing, have a real edge in the subgun application, due to the magazine placement in the grip making for a more compact weapon.

Posts: 2294 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
My buddy has one for the 320 and I have shot it. It is very cool, but I could not adjust well to having my face so close to the slide moving back and forth. If you have the funds and an extra fcu/slide, it is a fun toy. He used to keep it in his motorcycle box and it was great for that.

Posts: 1367 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have nothing against Glock mags, I just never understood why so many people are so quick to discount a potentially nice subgun or PCC if it doesn't use them

You can get a USW that is glock based.
I am a B&T addict so I have one (a 320 based one).
I don't find it interesting at all in the end.
Same is true for the TP9. I have an SBR'd one of those as well and it should hit lots of excitement buttons but it does not. On both of these the stock setup is the weak point.
In the B&T lineup for me the perfect gun is an APC9K, glock mag lower, sliding stock, small suppressor and that's just about perfect.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11051 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suppose I should have clarified that I mean the 100% B&T USW-A1. I have no interest in the others. The A1 is the one I handled years ago, and it's what gave me the overall impression of quality. I appreciate purpose-built, proprietary, ground-up stuff. The USW-G is not even close. The USW-320 is hardly the same either, as it lacks the hood for the sight to mount to.

posted Hide Post
I also prefer the ground-up stuff, but isn't the USW-A1 (even if made entirely by B&T) just another CZ 75 clone? It looks a lot like the Sphinx and Phoenix pistols. I have nothing against that (I'd also choose the USW-A1 over the USW-G and USW-320), but I'd probably prefer a totally original design.

Formerly known as tigerbloodwinning

Posts: 379 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
but isn't the USW-A1 (even if made entirely by B&T) just another CZ 75 clone?
Oh, absolutely. It's ground-up in terms of integration of the concept though. They didn't reinvent the pistol as we know it, but built that particular pistol to achieve the goal of that particular concept.