SIGforum
Why do we dislike loaded chamber indicators on our pistols?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/7170032744

September 19, 2018, 09:12 PM
arcwelder
Why do we dislike loaded chamber indicators on our pistols?
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I agree with everyone above. I do like how the M&P 2.0's have the small witness hole.

Boy you're in the minority there. It's there because of Massachusetts. It's called a Mass Hole.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

September 19, 2018, 09:20 PM
comet24
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Actually, I don't think the LCI itself is ugly and obtrusive. The verbiage on the other hand...

I, on the other hand, do find giant "shark fin" LCIs to be ugly and obtrusive, independent of the verbiage.

Even without the words on it, this would still be butt-ugly.

Holes and extractor bumps are acceptable, though.

That's one way to screw up a firearm.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac
September 19, 2018, 09:37 PM
DMF
The Glock LCI is fine by me.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman
September 19, 2018, 09:50 PM
scoutrifleman
My SP2022 had a loaded chamber indicator. I was getting random, intermittent, failures to feed, and occasional odd ejection (right back at me, or to the left, etc.) — since I removed the LCI, I’ve had no issues; reliability went from 99% to 100% Data point of one, I know, but I’d rather not have it. Besides, I can see a loaded round through the slot where the LCI used to be.

"Shoot first, shoot fast, shoot straight, shoot last." -- attribution unknown (to me)
September 20, 2018, 12:26 AM
soggy_spinout
Subtle ones like the extractor LCI that some gun makers use are about as acceptable as they're going to get to me. Anything more blatant is straight out visually and even psychologically annoying, as if saying that I'm too stupid to keep track of the state of my firearm. But I will admit that the LCI is a fast way to check if my gun is already hot, but I'll press check regardless. Nothing is more convincing than eyes actually on the chambered cartridge.
September 20, 2018, 12:42 AM
2012BOSS302
I would not buy a gun with one of those contraptions on it - is Fugly.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.
September 20, 2018, 12:55 AM
Gustofer
Every pistol I own has one in the pipe so I find them completely unnecessary.

I don't dislike them, I just don't have a need for them.

September 20, 2018, 07:31 AM
synthplayer
I don't have a need for them and I dislike hate them.

I found what you said riveting.
September 20, 2018, 07:45 AM
paperchasin
Never really cared about them or noticed them, until Sig came out with their flag to appease to the politicians. Other than that, pretty much like some have said, always treat a firearm as if it was loaded.
September 20, 2018, 07:55 AM
smithnsig
As George Thorogood would say, They don’t confront me none..... I really don’t notice or care.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...
September 20, 2018, 08:51 AM
oddball
My past Ruger MK-IIIs had them and I removed all of them, replaced them with Tandemkross LCI fills. The Ruger LCI was a haven for dirt and carbon inside the chamber, the filler much less so. Aesthetically, the process looked cleaner. LCIs are useless to me because I would still visually check the chamber anyways.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
September 20, 2018, 09:48 AM
Beanhead
I would compare them to those automatic seatbelts in the 80s that was on a rail. Big brother saying you are too dumb so they have to make sure you are safe.
September 20, 2018, 11:27 AM
esdunbar
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I have no problem with the Glock style that is part of the extractor and would be fine with the witness hole. A separate mechanical part as shown above is a bit much.

+1
September 20, 2018, 03:06 PM
PD
I was going to say take it or leave it until I saw some pretty ugly indicators on page 1.
September 20, 2018, 03:52 PM
mbinky
The LCI is THE reason I never had (or more aptly bought and sold) a modern Sig Pro. Absolutely useless, unless your use is to satisfy some obsecure leftist law supposedly concerning firearm "safety".

Slightly protruding extractor? I can live with it. Extra parts flapping willy nilly on the top of the slide? Never. Hell even the hole in the barrel hood is better.
September 20, 2018, 05:26 PM
46and2
Passive ones (a hole or notch) are fine by me.

But one with labels or moving parts...? Hideous.
September 20, 2018, 05:46 PM
MWC
We don't like LCIs on our pistols because:
(1) we treat every gun as if it's loaded until we confirm it's not loaded by opening the action and inspecting the weapon to ensure it's safe
(2) we assure the gun is in fact loaded at the time we put it into service by either actively loading the weapon or opening the action and inspecting the weapon to ensure it's hot.
(3) I have more faith in the methods above than a LCI - see note below about LCIs

If a gun must have an LCI, make the extractor the part that functions as an LCI. No peep holes. No additional, and unnecessary, parts!

September 20, 2018, 05:48 PM
Ryanp225
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
I agree with everyone above. I do like how the M&P 2.0's have the small witness hole.

Boy you're in the minority there. It's there because of Massachusetts. It's called a Mass Hole.

I've heard the term before but I didn't know it was for the M&P so thanks for the heads up. I could still take it or leave it but as far as LCI's go it seems to be one of the more un-obtrusive designs out there I suppose.
September 20, 2018, 07:58 PM
Hay2bale
I like them. Specifically, the ones on my SP2022 and SR9C. These are my nightstand guns, and I can tell in the dark that the pistol is loaded.

I don't think they are attractive, but I didn't want to win a fashion show. I have never had an issue with function.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass
September 20, 2018, 11:16 PM
arcwelder
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:

I've heard the term before but I didn't know it was for the M&P so thanks for the heads up. I could still take it or leave it but as far as LCI's go it seems to be one of the more un-obtrusive designs out there I suppose.

It's not just the M&P, it's been a condition of selling new guns in MA for some years. I don't know about now, but at the time, MA was the only state requiring it.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP