SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    West German excellence
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

West German excellence Login/Join 
posted
The handguns of Willi Korth have been around since 1954. Founded in Ratzeburg, Germany, the company has always been known for exquisite refinement and outstanding build quality. The first revolvers were rather simple looking, but well made. The Korth Combat and Sport revolvers were introduced several years later and were truly a marvel of engineering and craftsmanship. It was during this time in the 1970’s and 80’s that Korth earned its reputation for building some of the finest handguns in the world. I’ve owned Korth Combat revolvers for a decade now and I’m still amazed just picking one up. If you want the world’s nicest wheelgun, look no further than a 1970’s Korth.

Having said all that, the subject of my thread isn’t a revolver. By the mid 1980’s, Willi started to look “outside the box”. In 1988 an automatic pistol of his own design was introduced. Simply called the Korth Autopistol or just Korth Pistol, this gun was, not surprisingly, build to incredibly high standards of excellence. The design is that of a falling block taken from the Walther P38 and later the Beretta 92. Korth did it a bit differently, however. The falling block is up front by the muzzle and certainly unique in its design and appearance. Supposedly, Korth designed it in that fashion to moderate recoil. The basic configuration is DA/SA and it has a super smooth, but fairly long DA pull. Personally, I was never in love with this pistol’s design or its high bore axis, but being that the gun has so much prowess in other ways, its easily forgivable.

Speaking of prowess, all parts are cut from high grade carbon steel and fitted to tight tolerances. The fit and finish is immaculate and its really a work of art as much as it is a firearm. These pistols were completely hand built in very limited quantities. The Korth Autopistol was produced on and off for over 15 years. Less than 300 examples were made. The bluing on the early models was very matte, but even. The frames have started to take on a bit of a plum color over the years. Later finishes could be optioned very extravagantly, to include plasma of various colors, gold accents, etc, etc. Being conservative like I am, I prefer the old bluing the best. The checkered walnut grips are beautiful and the wood inlay on the back strap in a very nice touch. The magazines are extremely well made and they put many of my entire handguns to shame. They remind me of the old Sig P210 magazines before they were zippered up the back. The inside workings of the gun show the same phenomenal attention to detail. It shows the great pride Willi Korth took in his craft. I tried to capture the level of craftsmanship in the pictures, but it’s the sort of gun that has to be seen in person to fully appreciate. The machining is just otherworldly in its precision and accuracy.

My overall feelings on the Korth Pistol are somewhat mixed. I think it was certainly one of the finest handguns ever made in Germany or anywhere in the world for that matter. Its attention to detail and level of quality and craftsmanship is matched by very, very few other handguns. I’m not in love with the design, as mentioned above. While it shoots decently enough, I don’t feel the design lends itself to great accuracy and I don’t care for the ergonomics at all. I guess that’s part of the gun’s charm though. It exudes exoticism and looks like no other handgun. At 43oz unloaded, the Korth Pistol is hefty, just the way I like high end handguns. Its pure class all the way, just don’t expect it to hold its own against something like a Sig P210 or Smith & Wesson 952 on a test target.

This example is a first year model, stamped “JJ” for 1988 and displays the very low serial number 24. It has been told to me from a couple sources that Willi built these early pistols himself. Whether or not that’s true, I have no idea. However, I would venture to say that he had a big hand in their production. Condition is flawless and I’m told its unfired outside the factory. After checking it over, I believe that to be the case. Its complete with the box and manual. The box is numbered to the gun. The manual is entirely in German. Caliber is 9mm, as were all the early guns. Later models were chambered in 40S&W and even 357 Sig, but I wouldn’t want the gun in any caliber other than this one.

I have had one from 1989 (serial number 122) for several years now. This latest model is identical other than the rounded trigger guard. For whatever reason, Korth offered them both ways and I now own one of each. I’m not sure which look I like better, but it definitely gives the entire pistol a different appearance.

I guess I’ll stop rambling on and on. Does anyone here have experience with this handgun? If so, what’s your opinion?

Thanks for reading. Please enjoy the pics and share your thoughts.

Here it is with my 1989 model (#122). Note the difference in the trigger guard as well as the color of the walnut grips.

Here they are with my two Korth Combat revolvers from 1976 and 1985…

Posts: 1326 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some customary macro pics…

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That’s a whole lot of fine workmanship right there! Excellent collection.

Posts: 17134 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
I mean, just utterly beautiful. . . . Thank you brother.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
That's some impressive iron that you've got there. As usual, of course.

quote:
While it shoots decently enough, I don’t feel the design lends itself to great accuracy and I don’t care for the ergonomics at all. It exudes exoticism and looks like no other handgun.

Sounds like it's the Lamborghini Countach of semi-auto pistols. Exotic but not all that great performance-wise.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
Holy shit!!!

Can we see more pics of the mags that you speak so highly of? Thanks!

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Always a treat to read and see bac's latest get. Cool

Q

Posts: 26392 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please post updated family/collection pics. Have you ever thought about posting each individual gun with backstory? I know that would take a lot of time though.

whisky

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That defines sexy.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very handsome firearms.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Very interesting and beautiful. Thanks for the history and pics.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3211 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Great Karma! I'm in! (somebody had to do it first Razz )

Those look amazing. Nice collection.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Outstanding... Congrats and thanks for sharing. I love seeing rare pistole Cool

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Those are some outstanding examples of truly fine craftsmanship. Amazing! Thanks for posting the nice photos.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1312 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
That's some impressive iron that you've got there. As usual, of course.

quote:
While it shoots decently enough, I don’t feel the design lends itself to great accuracy and I don’t care for the ergonomics at all. It exudes exoticism and looks like no other handgun.

Sounds like it's the Lamborghini Countach of semi-auto pistols. Exotic but not all that great performance-wise.

Maybe somewhat, soggy. I don't think the Countach was built with this level of attention to detail though.

The Korth wasn't designed as a target pistol.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBird679:
Holy shit!!!

Can we see more pics of the mags that you speak so highly of? Thanks!

Yes, I'll take a couple pics of them.

Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
Wow! Exquisite.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
It is always interesting to see how gun design reflects the dogma and doctrine of its day. While it may be unfair to judge a gun without having ever shot or even held it, I believe I see at least a couple design features that would be less than ideal in today's understanding and emphasis on ergonomics.

I'd bet that thin grooved trigger might be a tad hard on the trigger finger after several rounds.

Also, and again its unfair to categorically state this based on only seeing two samples, but I believe that perhaps Herr Korth may have found ways to improve upon his already high quality initial offerings observed in the later one.

It's also interesting that Herr Korth chose to update the trigger guard to reflect the trend of the time, but elected to stay with a single stack design instead of transitioning to the "Wonder 9" trend also popular at that time...although admittedly that would have required a major design change.

I'm always interested to see how different manufacturers implement their respective level of quality in their designs. Might we see some pictures of the gun field stripped and its inner workings?

quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
Wow! Exquisite.

That is precisely my impression as well...exquisite!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post