SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    So I handed my MK25 to a friend I hadn't seen in a while...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I handed my MK25 to a friend I hadn't seen in a while... Login/Join 
posted
We seldom get together, but keep in touch as best we can, and he had been recently enamored with tuning a Glock 19, informing me of his efforts via text message. He is a very smart man; excellent with mechanical things, especially vehicles, and that skillset translates quite well to firearms tinkering, I think. He had tuned the trigger, undercut and stippled the frame, mounted a red dot, etc. He was proudest of the trigger work. I am not a trigger person, but the trigger did indeed feel better than a factory Glock, when I was able to get my hands on the gun. In that same in-person moment, I handed him my MK25, which he had not seen. There is nothing done to my pistol, aside from G10 grips. He was amazed at how good the trigger was. Roll Eyes

I have nothing against contemporary polymer-framed, striker-fired guns, nor am I a 22X elitist. I do think it's a shame that some folks are unaware of firearms outside the Glock-alike spectrum. Anyway, I thought his reaction was funny, and figured folks here might have had similar interactions, or at least get a kick out of reading this.

Posts: 2086 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It happens. He was out of his bailiwick, and thus had little to judge it against. As you said, I am not a sig apologist, but an mk25 trigger versus an x5 AO, or a X5L1, CZ TSO, beretta 92 LTT/92x.

I get it. I remember years ago when I got my USP 40, (96/97) A friend and I were comparing our two duty guns. His was a 226, mine was the USP 40. Compared to my USP, his sig was a thing of beauty.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I made a commitment to train hard on the Glock platform a few years ago after being a pretty die hard DA/SA guy. I’m glad I did because it taught me how to properly run a trigger. I’ve been shooting and moving toward the P320 & P365 platforms and will most likely use a 320 in my next training class. That said, I have also been shooting my classic P22? guns lately and have been so surprised at the results. My MK25 does have a GGI SRT kit and a few new springs but the trigger is on par with a P228 that was fully tuned by GGI years ago. I shoot the Mk25 so well that I ordered some custom leather and may very well change my mind about what gun goes with me to my next class.

As to those that don’t experience other platforms it is usually from a place of ignorance. I can respect and appreciate any quality firearm. One of the range officers where I shoot makes it a point to tell me how Glocks are really poorly designed fighting weapons every time I’m there training with one. I just ignore it and keep on keeping on. As to your friend, it’s fun to watch someone realize there’s more to the world than just plastic striker fired weapons.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
It happens. He was out of his bailiwick, and thus had little to judge it against. As you said, I am not a sig apologist, but an mk25 trigger versus an x5 AO, or a X5L1, CZ TSO, beretta 92 LTT/92x.

I am confused by your comment. Are you saying you think the 226 trigger is decent, or poor?

quote:
I get it. I remember years ago when I got my USP 40, (96/97) A friend and I were comparing our two duty guns. His was a 226, mine was the USP 40. Compared to my USP, his sig was a thing of beauty.

I think the USP series is quite comparable to the 22X series; at least based on current production guns. May not have been the case in the late 90s. I actually weighed a USP 9mm against the 226 before I purchased my MK25. I shot them side by side. I found the double action to be more pleasant on the 226, and the trigger was more comfortable to me. I still hold the USP in high regard, and would like to have one someday.

Posts: 2086 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
As to those that don’t experience other platforms it is usually from a place of ignorance. I can respect and appreciate any quality firearm. One of the range officers where I shoot makes it a point to tell me how Glocks are really poorly designed fighting weapons every time I’m there training with one. I just ignore it and keep on keeping on. As to your friend, it’s fun to watch someone realize there’s more to the world than just plastic striker fired weapons.

The MK25 is my go-to "combat sidearm", but I will always love the Steyr L9A1, as my choice for a plastic striker-fired. It is crazy comfortable to me, and has, in my opinion, one of the best out-of-the-box triggers on a gun of it's type. Has to be the A1 though, not the A2MF. I bought one of the A2s when it came out, based on my love of the A1, and didn't have it long.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
quote:

I am confused by your comment. Are you saying you think the 226 trigger is decent, or poor?

quote:

I think the USP series is quite comparable to the 22X series; at least based on current production guns. May not have been the case in the late 90s. I actually weighed a USP 9mm against the 226 before I purchased my MK25. I shot them side by side. I found the double action to be more pleasant on the 226, and the trigger was more comfortable to me. I still hold the USP in high regard, and would like to have one someday.

I am saying that to some folk, they might complain that the 226 is meh for a trigger, To others like your friend that double/single action gives a very nice tactile feel when compared to another gun. It all depends on what they have shot and liked.

This would have been west (it was a yellow cardboard box IIRC) german gun p226, he bought it through his department letterhead. The mid to late 90's p226's have, I think (subjective and annecdotally) a better trigger than the modern guns. The USP has a fair trigger, but they can be gritty and can stack up, whereas the p226, his specifically, did not. While I was jealous of how nice his trigger was, it did not convince me that my USP was bad or that his was better.

I have as many usp's as I do 226's Or close to.

P226 9,22lr,357si,40,9mmsao,x5AO,X5L1
USP, 9,9tac,9expert,40,45,MK23

The only thing they really share in common is caliber and being hammer fired.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am saying that to some folk, they might complain that the 226 is meh for a trigger, To others like your friend that double/single action gives a very nice tactile feel when compared to another gun. It all depends on what they have shot and liked.

Gotcha.

quote:

I think the DA/SA functionality is the meaningful cross-over between the two. That's why I was comparing them, when I was in the market for a DA/SA gun. I appreciate the CZ and Beretta designs as well, but don't care for the controls on either as much.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Gotcha.

quote:

I think the DA/SA functionality is the meaningful cross-over between the two. That's why I was comparing them, when I was in the market for a DA/SA gun. I appreciate the CZ and Beretta designs as well, but don't care for the controls on either as much.

I agree, the DA/SA slipped my mind during that typing

Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:

The USP has the worst DA trigger pull I can ever remember using. The SA is good, but the DA pull is what I expect out of a $200 gun. I'm saying this has someone who has owned $300 DA/SA guns and been pleased w/ them.

Last week I saw a USP9c at the LGS w/ a CA (2020) date code. I asked to check it out to see if recent production USPs felt any different. Nope, the DA pull as long, gritty & stacky as ever. I've used stapler guns w/ better pulls.

But hey, it was Jack Bauer's favorite.

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My LGS has a USP-9 Expert on the way. I am not in the market, but I am looking forward to checking it out.

posted Hide Post
quote:
My LGS has a USP-9 Expert on the way. I am not in the market, but I am looking forward to checking it out.

Do it, join the dark side.

posted Hide Post
Oh I have always liked them. I have shot one too. The one thing that burns me a bit is threaded barrel availability. It falls into the "combat sidearm" category for me; I seldom shoot with a pistol silencer, but it is a requirement that the gun be able to accept one. I'd also swap to a fixed rear sight. I am sure I am a weirdo, in how I consider the 9mm Expert.

posted Hide Post
Adco, did the following three-barrel extensions for me. I would be concerned that you would loose the Oring on the Expert. You could call and ask.

I have the tactical for me the suppressed use, and I get it. what little hearing I have left I want to keep.

In researching, there is this option. fuck I may have to do this for shits and giggles.

https://jarvis-custom.com/prod...ert-threaded-barrel/

posted Hide Post
quote:
In researching, there is this option. fuck I may have to do this for shits and giggles.

Heck yeah. That's cool.

I knew it was possible to have the existing barrel extended and threaded but, like you, I wasn't crazy about sacrificing the original. I hadn't ruled it out though. Form follows function, and I typically have a strict policy of not regarding future resale when considering gun purchases and modifications.

posted Hide Post
Right now the expert is my only USP with out a TB. so I may give this Jarvis a try. It says it has an o-ring. IT would make the USP a quasi 9mm mk23? there about as far as barrel length.

Sadly Jarvis does not make a TB for my X5 AO and X5 L1.....

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
The USP has the worst DA trigger pull I can ever remember using.

This is the near universal, if not universal, acknowledgment among USP owners.
quote:
The SA is good, but the DA pull is what I expect out of a $200 gun..

I wouldn't even call the SA good. Average at best, for me.

What's mentioned above applies only to the standard USPs. You'd have to go to their Tactical, Expert and Elite models to get a much better trigger action. But, even they still are not what I would call exceptional.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
The USP has the worst DA trigger pull I can ever remember using.

This is the near universal, if not universal, acknowledgment among USP owners.
quote:
The SA is good, but the DA pull is what I expect out of a $200 gun..

What's mentioned above applies only to the standard USPs. You'd have to go to their Tactical, Expert and Elite models to get a much better trigger action. But, even they still are not what I would call exceptional.

Though not hardly a standard USP, my Mark 23 has a long and heavy, but smooth DA pull. The SA pull is quite excellent.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Now you see here, I will have you know that the Holy Church of HK and the Apostle USP,......

Yeah, I got nothing they are not great. After 50k my USP 40 has an acceptable trigger. Put it up to any of my p226's and it is the least out of 7 p226s.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
My M25 is one of my BBQ guns for sure... the other pistol that always just feels right in my hand is my P226 Legion in 357sig.

Dern now I need to go fondle it.....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with Glocks. I shot a friends 229 and I'll be a Sig fan from here on out. My 229 is accurate, reliable, and eats anything I feed it.
TF

Posts: 32 | Location: Kansas | Registered: May 15, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post