New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 .45 Login/Join 
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
My SIG 1911 Super Target has run flawlessly with all of the 3600 plus rounds I have put through it so far.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd amdmt gramps
posted Hide Post
I've recently had 3 different Ruger 1911's. NEVER a bobble in any of them. All bought new.

Posts: 2106 | Location: southeast arkansas | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite pistols are 1911's and hi powers so I am biased, but I've never had any trouble with my 1911's. I have moved in to some of the better ones as I've gotten older and they definitely spoil you. To me, nothing compares to a great 1911 like a Wilson, Brown, Baer etc. I grew up with a Colt I saved up for as a youngster and never looked back.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Colt 1991-A1 has been about 2000 times flawless since 1995, even though it is modded with stainless steel FLGR, slide stop, and bushing with 32 lb. Wolff recoil spring, and Shok-Buf to shoot 45 Super; it still shoots American Eagle 230 gr. FMJ perfectly.
It is now my carry gun.
P.S. I have heard good price/quality things about Rock Island .45s although I never owned or shot one.

Posts: 71 | Registered: August 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I got this last week for $400, though it's used.

I promptly took it to the range, ran 100 rds through it and it was every bit as nice as my Dan Wesson. So I went back to the store and bought the full size version too, also $400. The sale they were having was just ridiculous.

Nice find! $400 each was a steal!

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Colt XSE and just recently acquired an STI Edge.
Never worried about "will it run ?"

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Has anyone had issues with Commander-length (4 to 4 1/2 inch) guns? Mine has given me issues and my local smith said that shorter than full size is always problematic.

Thanks!

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do hear that the 5" "Government" models are the most reliable variant of the 1911 design, but i believe it has more to do with the extractor than the length/slide velocity.
Precisely why the Smith or Sig is in my opinion the most reliable 1911 style pistol. I think a sig or Smith Commander length pistol (I even had a 3" Pro Smith 9mm 1911 that ran through 1200 rounds no issues) is more reliable than a full size 5" 1911.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Ruger 1911 family. Love mine.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
Has anyone had issues with Commander-length (4 to 4 1/2 inch) guns? Mine has given me issues and my local smith said that shorter than full size is always problematic.

Thanks!

I've heard that, and I tend to prefer a full size gun, but I've got a Colt Defender that has been very nearly perfect. I'm almost certain that I was the failure point on that one FTF.
That one gun is my only direct experience with tiny 1911s (and I'm growing VERY fond of the ugly little thing).

Commander size guns have a pretty good rep. It's when you drop to the Officer size that things get potentially iffy. As my Defender illustrates though even a 3 inch gun can work fine out of the box.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post