SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Your Thoughts About "Starship Troopers" 1911s?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Thoughts About "Starship Troopers" 1911s? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:
The Staccato isn't too bad. I'd never trust a 2011 for "real" purposes especially in 9mm with a light. That's a failure to extract or feed waiting to happen.

Well the USMS Special Operations Group, LAPD Metro Division, LAPD SWAT, Long Beach CA PD SWAT, Texas Rangers, and a number of other agencies are doing exactly that. STI is very aware of the factors in 2011 reliability and is willing to make somewhat controversial decisions (like not making a generally available 5" bushing barreled 9mm) to keep them that way.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
No issues with my 2019 Stacatto P with TLR-7.
Shoots straight as long as I do my part. It’s retiring this weekend. I’m picking up my Stacatto C2 on Thursday and plan on using it with the TLR-7A.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chowser,

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
quote:
rail on a 1911 is heresy!

Amen, preach it brother!

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
quote:
The Staccato isn't too bad. I'd never trust a 2011 for "real" purposes especially in 9mm with a light. That's a failure to extract or feed waiting to happen.

Well the USMS Special Operations Group, LAPD Metro Division, LAPD SWAT, Long Beach CA PD SWAT, Texas Rangers, and a number of other agencies are doing exactly that. STI is very aware of the factors in 2011 reliability and is willing to make somewhat controversial decisions (like not making a generally available 5" bushing barreled 9mm) to keep them that way.

They all went to 9mm?

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Aside from the R, the Staccatos are all 9mm.

Although I only have 489 rounds through my P, it's 100% flawless, both factory FMJ, JHP and my JHP handloads. I have not, however, mounted a light yet, since the holster isn't in, but I don't imagine it's a problem, since the frame is actually aluminum, so the problems that plagued Glocks shouldn't happen.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over the weekend I attended a firearms course by one of the top instructors nationwide. Actually there were three of them. Two of them carried the Statico P pistols. They raved about them. Said they were worth every penny. The other thing that I noticed about them was that they all carried the 9mm. Not one single 45 in the whole group. They actually described the 45 as a dying caliber.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Over the weekend I attended a firearms course by one of the top instructors nationwide. Actually there were three of them. Two of them carried the Statico P pistols. They raved about them. Said they were worth every penny. The other thing that I noticed about them was that they all carried the 9mm. Not one single 45 in the whole group. They actually described the 45 as a dying caliber.

Interesting. I'm going to start a new thread about the Staccato because this is drifting. Thanks!

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suppose the answer is simply that everyone doesn't want a plain Jane 1911, some guys want a little bling to their guns. I like the traditional 1911 but I also like some of the 1911's with a little style to them.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
I prefer the classic style 1911. I own a few, including one in beautiful, high polish blue.

Having said this I do own a Springfield TRP with full length rail. In addition to the rail it has a bull barrel and a full length guide rod. I guess I am not totally immune to a bit of modernization.

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back to basics works fine for me:
Highly modded, but still basic 1911A1 Springfield GI original small ring Colt WW-2 Grips.

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
quote:
rail on a 1911 is heresy!

Amen, preach it brother!

HK Ag

I'm NOT listening!!!

I can live with the rail...

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
1911's circled in red. Not a rail, nor any "Starship Troopers" stuff to be seen, and that's the way I like 'em! Big Grin

And they're all 45ACP with two set up for "switch" caliber in 400 Cor-Bon. 9mm reserved for BHPs and 92 clone. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My personal preference tends towards the traditional, but I'm willing to make accommodations for things that actually improve the functionality of the gun (better sights because GI sights suck, front strap checkering for improved grip, front serrations if that's your thing). I can even tolerate a rail if the the gun is actually going to be used in scenarios where a light would be beneficial (such as a home defense or duty gun), but for a range toy or carry gun I'd prefer not to have one.

I don't like lightening cuts that leave the inner-workings exposed. Aside from being ugly, it seems like a good way to get crap into places that you don't want crap to go. Oh, and guns should be black, blued, or stainless. Leave the gold and other bling to pimps and tin-pot dictators.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
No issues with my 2019 Stacatto P with TLR-7.
Shoots straight as long as I do my part. It’s retiring this weekend. I’m picking up my Stacatto C2 on Thursday and plan on using it with the TLR-7A.

Just got mine back from having a Chambers Custom red dot mount installed. Still trying to sort out holsters with the 7A. I think I've found a place but still working on getting some answers from them.

quote:

They all went to 9mm?

That is how I understand it. Buck Pierson posted on another forum about the discontinuation of the .45 Staccato P because they just don't sell them. I think it's like the way sedans are dying out in favor of SUVs and crossovers - nobody wants to see them go, but nobody's going out and buying a Taurus, either. Now I know that's a simplification, but take my point.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Ruger SR1911. Everything I want without all the frills.
And a rail on a 1911 is heresy!

Agree with this 100%. It's why I currently have 4 SR1911's, 3 in 45 ACP and one in 9mm. About the only issue with the SR9111 is that Ruger magazines aren't that reliable. Good news is that the Wilson Combat 45 ACP and 9mm magazines produce perfect reliability. Currently have somewhere in the range of 14-16 47D's and 12 of the 500 Gen 2 10 rounders. BTW, the arthritis in my thumbs is getting bad enough that loading magazines take time. so I like to head to the range with 100 rounds of each caliber pre-loaded in magazines.

BTW, I'm not willing to pay for front strap checkering. never saw any need for it and never will.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just put and old school set of Pachmayrs on my 1911s that have non serrated front grips. Talon Grips make a stick on grip that you can use in conjunction your OEM grips to cover the front strap.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vipers28
posted Hide Post
Over the years I have had several 1911's (Kimber, SA & Sig- all shot very well and no issues) and enjoyed the history of the 1911. As I get older I find my allure to them even more so my attention is once again on them. I have a TRP non-railed and a Kimber Covert non-railed and very happy with both. Recently I found a SA Pro with a rail in 45 and pretty happy about it and like the traditional lines of it (even the rail). What I am really looking for is a cool 1911 in 9mm for a range only pistol. So I have been looking at the various makers to see what my options are, from Night Hawk to STI. Absolutely lust over the STI Costa with the island comp and the Combat Master. I know the look isn't for everyone but I am drawn to them just not the crazy prices they are asking for them now. With that the hunt still continues for a 1911 in 9mm that isn't your average 1911 but in the end I may just get another SA Pro in 9mm.

Posts: 769 | Location: H6 | Registered: December 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
While generally not a fan of dust collector holes, I kind of like the look of the Kimber. (I wouldn't buy one because it's a Kimber)

The STI #2 is "oogly" IMO, put at least purpose built.
Gun #3 looks like it was designed by H.R. Giger
(very oogly) Big Grin

I have handled and shot MANY 2011's, but they've all had magwells on them. With them, it feels like someone shaking your hand and squeezing too hard. One day I'll shoot one without a magwell, I may actually like them. lol

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post