SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Opinion on two Browning HPs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinion on two Browning HPs Login/Join 
posted
Hello. I've had a hankering for a HP for while, probably irrationally.

First, thoughts on HPs in general?

Second, a local seller has two available. Both are 70s-era. One has been magna-ported (by that company) with trigger job and feed ramp job. By the pix, the finish looks significantly better. $400 more. The other is factory stock, finish good but not as nice.

Any real-world experience on magnaporting for a full-sized 9mm in terms of performance? Concerns for an HP? These are not particularly historical, and I'll likely look at both this weekend.

Please be 100% candid. And I got dibs in case anyone tries to track them down...Thanks!

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My preference would be for the non-magnaported pistol. For a magnum caliber, magnaporting - maybe. Nine mm - not so much.

As for the finish - that can always be done by someone you choose. For a $400 difference, that would be a really nice redo with some extras too.

Posts: 4983 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
My preference would be for the non-magnaported pistol. For a magnum caliber, magnaporting - maybe. Nine mm - not so much.

As for the finish - that can always be done by someone you choose. For a $400 difference, that would be a really nice redo with some extras too.

Almost exactly my thoughts. I'd rather have an unaltered one, and refinish if I decided it was an improvement.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
The other is factory stock, finish good but not as nice.

This one

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Super sexy pistol. Great shooter, but watch out for some serious hammer bite. Mine was a nice shooter, very accurate, but it bit my hand bad. I replaced the hammer but it was still a bit bitey.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:

Watch for the refinishing specials CCR runs (and advertises here) from time to time. I have a P6 they did a beautiful job on.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get the original...they're great pistols with a strong history of accuracy and dependability. Hammer bite happens occasionally for some, but has never been a factor for me in the three I've owned with both types of hammers. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 728 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the unaltered one.

Posts: 12181 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Waffles
Picture of cherokee2u
posted Hide Post
I like stock pistols Smile

A shepherd must tend his flock....and at times fight off the wolves

Posts: 2988 | Location: Carolina | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Magnaporting a 9mm is like putting a spoiler on a Dodge Neon. It may look cool, but anyone with a clue thinks it's dumb.

Get the unaltered one.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ditto on getting the unaltered pistol. I think you'll find the HP one of the best, naturally pointing pistols made.

Jerry

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Pass on the Magna ported. The $400 would be a great starting point Hp

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In maybe a Sigforum first, unanimous opinions.

If I get one, it will be the stock version. So, anything in particular I should be looking for, good, bad, ugly when I take a look, including basic disassembly?

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I have a pre-T gun, an Inglis, and a modern production, my thoughts on them are favorable. Get the stock BHP. About the only drastic mod I would approve of would be a S&W revolver sight mounted in the slide.

Posts: 9970 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I know little about BHPs but the Israeli surplus that I bought is clover-leaf accurate. Go with the stock.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5965 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I'd go for the stock one. After all, 9MM is not exactly thunder and lightning in the muzzle blast and recoil department. I'm a long time HP fan. None Magna-ported.

NRA Life

Posts: 1565 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too would go for the stock one. A magnaported BHP doesn't interest me at all. The later Mark III black plastic/rubber grips tend to do a little better job at keeping your hand further away from the hammer and preventing hammer bite.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:

If I get one, it will be the stock version. So, anything in particular I should be looking for, good, bad, ugly when I take a look, including basic disassembly?

Umm, no. BHP is overrated, imo, especially in stock condition. Yes, I get it that it's a classic, and many folks like classics. But, that's where it ends for me.
-Trigger sucks. Yes, I know about the mag disconnect.
-Tiny safety sucks.
-Smooth front and back straps are a no go for me. Any pistol with smooth both front and back straps is a killer for me.

Yes, I've owned a few of them years ago. Tried to like them, but no, it didn't happen.

Q

Posts: 26419 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
...-Trigger sucks. Yes, I know about the mag disconnect.
-Tiny safety sucks...

These two, I absolutely agree with. Smooth straps are up to the shooter, and didn't bother me at all, nor did I experience hammer bite.

Those made in the 1970's can't take +P loads, and most likely won't feed hollowpoints. Buy the stock pistol and get an aftermarket barrel that will do both for you. I hear the trigger can be fixed, but I don't know how much improvement you can buy. As to the safety, I put a bigger one on mine and it didn't help much, since this variation of John Browning's masterpiece has the mainspring (hammer spring?) attached to the safety, with pressure added to the safety lever being the result. All the tricks that made my competition Colt 1911 better, didn't work on the BHP.

Still a great pistol, and I'd get another if I found a good one, but then I like the classic stuff. I'll never give up my pre-war Walther PPK, for instance, which despite the heavy trigger and anemic caliber, I prefer over any of the newer small pistols.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9162 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:

Umm, no. BHP is overrated, imo, especially in stock condition. Yes, I get it that it's a classic, and many folks like classics. But, that's where it ends for me.
-Trigger sucks. Yes, I know about the mag disconnect.
-Tiny safety sucks.
-Smooth front and back straps are a no go for me. Any pistol with smooth both front and back straps is a killer for me.

Yes, I've owned a few of them years ago. Tried to like them, but no, it didn't happen.

These are much of my thoughts, I had a forged frame BHP mark III 9mm and once I got a CZ 75 SA, I sold the hipower as it feels and shoots so much better, I never warmed up to the boxy hipower grip or very short trigger reach. However, I kept and do seem to like my BHP .40 caliber mark III for some reason.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post