SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P6 vs P225A1 vs P239
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P6 vs P225A1 vs P239 Login/Join 
posted
Wife and I were gun shopping at my favorite store (Green Top just outside Richmond). She has been hinting around at wanting another pistol for herself for a while now.

First she wanted an EMP. Then she decided she wanted a Legion (226 or 229).

After handling both Legions, I spotted a P6 in the case for $450. Seemed to be in pretty good shape 1/81 date with the fugly Redmond, WA import mark.

She immediately fell in love with the way it felt in the hand (I guess she just really likes single stacks).

They also had a new 225a1 which she obviously loved even more cause it was new and had the g10 grips. Not sure it was worth the extra money over the p6.

They also had a few p239s which shes handled in the past and did today but just didn't seem to click with them the way she did the p6/225.

Just wanted to put my thoughts out there and see how the collective felt.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P6 is a nice gun. I had an original p225 and it was a great pistol. It is a little large for a single stack but a pleasure to shoot. I had to sell it but would like to get another one day.

I don't know how hard parts are to come by now, which is starting to be an issue with the P239,especially the magazines. I like the older Sigs but with everything, finding the parts to make them run could be a challenge eventually.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Of the three, take the P225A1 and don't look back.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your ok for signing up for no parts and no support for the P6 have fun.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have all 3 pistols mentioned; P225-a1, P239 and P225. IMHO; the original P225 feels best in my hand, then the A1 and finally P239. However, all 3 feel good in the hand and I could live with any of them. I will regularly carry rotate between the 3 of them and never feel under gunned and know I have reliable, accurate and capable firearms for my non LEO carry. Heck, even if I was a LEO, I would still carry any of them with full confidence and conviction. As far as replacement parts, I have found that just about every part is available except items like the barrel for the original P225, but there are aftermarket manufactures that do offer them. As far as the other small parts, many are shared with other current produced Sigs. I don't consider that a problem today, but maybe 10 years from now.....maybe!

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
If your ok for signing up for no parts and no support for the P6 have fun.

If you're ok for signing up for marginal parts, magazines, and support for the p239, have fun.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
Wife and I were gun shopping at my favorite store (Green Top just outside Richmond). She has been hinting around at wanting another pistol for herself for a while now.

First she wanted an EMP. Then she decided she wanted a Legion (226 or 229).

After handling both Legions, I spotted a P6 in the case for $450. Seemed to be in pretty good shape 1/81 date with the fugly Redmond, WA import mark.

She immediately fell in love with the way it felt in the hand (I guess she just really likes single stacks).

They also had a new 225a1 which she obviously loved even more cause it was new and had the g10 grips. Not sure it was worth the extra money over the p6.

They also had a few p239s which shes handled in the past and did today but just didn't seem to click with them the way she did the p6/225.

Just wanted to put my thoughts out there and see how the collective felt.

Forget the collective. Let her pick her gun. Whatever she likes most, that will be her gun. Wink

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's be real, this isn't going to be some carry piece or SHTF piece. This is simply a range gun she wants. No real need for tons of mags or easy parts sourcing from heavy shooting.

I assume Wolff would have any springs I might need. What else would I need to be worried about? The extractor and maybe the firing pin?

I know some of the internal extractors are getting hard to come by.

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Then why ask for opinions?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Then why ask for opinions?

I gave my wife's thoughts on the three pistols and was just wondering how others felt about them...

My statement about it being a range gun was just so the thread didn't derail into a whole 'no parts' discussion.

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have owned all three. First was the P239. Great little single stack. Comfortable and easy to shoot with the Hogue finger groove grips. Mine is in 40 but I mostly used the 357 barrel I bought. Next I bought the P225 (P6). The classic. Felt good in the hand except that my hand always felt a little "cramped" holding it. And I don't have big hands at all. Finally I got the P225A1. LOVE IT! Comfortable, easy to shoot, accurate, I fell in love. Sold the P225 and as soon as I get to grab my P239 from my buddy who is holding it for me it will be sold also.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 1/81 Redmond import P6 that I bought as a Simunition trainer. Took 6 months for me to find an aftermarket barrel in stock (no OEM anywhere). It had the worst DA trigger ive ever felt.

After new springs, a fluff and buff on the action parts and SRT kit, the trigger is now great. Its my carry gun now but it was a project! Mags weren’t too hard to source, Numerich had them.

In your case Id get the P225A1 and keep it easy unless you want a project for at least the trigger.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I currently own 3 classic P225s. A "Swiss Montage", a German commercial (non P6) model and a late production GOTM.
Of all my Sigs, the classic P225 is the best shooting Sig I own. I don't know why. It just is. I also have a .40 P239 too.
All that being said, If I had to pick one of your choices, it would be the P225A1. The other guns are now discontinued and parts and magazines will continue to be scarce and expensive. A Euro spec P6 tends to have a heavy DA pull which may be hard for your wife to shoot well. Some P6s are finicky with HP ammo.
Best of both worlds: Get the 225A1 first and then a classic P225.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scurvy, Get her the 225A1 because she liked it best!
Does not matter that it will only be a range gun. It will go much better the next time you want a gun, if she does not feel slighted on this purchase.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P225A1 is my EDC for two years now. It’s easy to carry, I shoot it better than anything else and most importantly “I really like it”. Liking it is IMHO important, it makes me not want to leave home without it. With the A1 she won’t have to worry about feeding it all the +P ammo she wants. The bottom line is out of the 3 she likes it best and it doesn’t hurt that in this case, it’s the better choice.

Posts: 25 | Location: The Hollar  | Registered: January 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easy. 225a1. I never understand the P225/P6 feels better comments. The grip shape is basically identical but with a good trigger undercut, checkering, and better grips. I’ve never held a gun that wasn’t improved by those three things.

P6 if you are into collecting, 225a1 if it’s a shooter.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
The grip shapes are not identical and even small differences can add up a lot. I’ve never understood comments that the A1 “Classic” feels better than the original P225 b/c to me it doesn’t.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Basically identical. I stand by that. If you overlay a 225 and 225a1 overtop one another they are basically the same with the exception of a small lip at the front of the magwell. Clearly I wasn’t referring to the 239.

If you prefer a grip without an undercut, checkering or better than checkered plastic grips you are better served by the P226/P6. Most wont be once the “classic” effect wears off.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P225A1 is more of a P239 than a P225. All marketing calling it a P225 IMO.

"Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Posts: 1053 | Registered: February 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I really like my P239. I shoot it as well as any other SIG that I own.

As far as magazines, that's an overblown problem. The P225A magazine is interchangeable with the P239 except for base plates, and there are new Plus-One base plates available, to make it a 9 round magazine instead of 8 round (9mm).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post