SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Nice to have a classic Smith back in the safe
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nice to have a classic Smith back in the safe Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
So I have a lot of “plastic fantastic” pistols and carbines and such, but as I get older I find myself longing for the guns of yesteryear, guns that existed decades before I was even born. I find that the craftsmanship and feel in some of these older gems is almost unparalleled today, at least compared to the mass produced stuff. I had a Smith and Wesson model 19 a few years back, and it was a little rough looking, though it shot lights out and the feel was just great. Wood and steel, blued steel in fact, has no equal IMHO.

Well since I sold the 19, I have been wanting to fill the classic Smith and Wesson hole in my safe. I’ve always felt like the model 10, 38 special, was actually more comfortable to me, especially with the round butt frame. I also love the look of the 4” pencil barrel though it was tough locating one in this configuration. They all seem to either be pencil barrel square butt or heavy barrel round butt. Occasionally I check online just hoping to find a gem and the other day I found exactly what I was looking for. When I won the auction I was happier than a clam at the bottom of the deep blue sea.

Mine dates to 1968 and is in excellent shape with only some mild wear marks. The blueing is beautiful and I love the color case hardening on the hammer and trigger. The action is very smooth and the trigger pull, oh my the beauty of the smoothness that is the classic Smith trigger, I just love it. It didn’t come with papers or a box, but I don’t even care. All numbers match and grips are original. I can’t wait to get it to the range.

Please feel free to share your classic Smiths, especially the model 10’s!

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
No model 10s, but here's a couple of my classic Smiths, a 19 and a 66.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
If you intend to keep it...drop me an e mail with name and address and I can send you the warranty postcard as well as the ".38 Military and Police , Model 10" Instruction/parts manual.

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W M12 round butt 4" with modified Herrett's grips. Weighs one ounce more than steel J-frame.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Nice pics guys! FN I do plan to keep it! I’ll email you shortly that’s very generous of you!

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the new addition to the Family

That Model 10 looks great

I only have one Model 10 but it is not photographed.

My Smith and Wesson stable is very robust when it comes to the Model 27/327/627 family or the Model 57/357/657 family of revolvers. Plus several others

Here is one of my oldest, a 1953, 38 Special Air-weight Military and Police with the aluminium cylinder

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I have several...all given to me by my Dad. The 66s were pistols that he carried in 70s to early 80s prior to his retirement in 2001 after 31 years in LE. He was permitted to purchases them as they were replaced. I still have a couple of the invoices showing he paid $100 each. The others I believe he purchased them here and there. The blues are all 19-3s and the other two are a 66 and 66-2. I need to check some old boxes to see if I can find the original grips for some of them. The last pic is a screen grab of friend firing the 19 in the first pic.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1900 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Nice to see those Smiths from a bygone era. Reminds me of what is possible but became too expensive in the eyes of the company.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1529 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
Nice to see those Smiths from a bygone era. Reminds me of what is possible but became too expensive in the eyes of the company.

Not in the eyes of the company . . . In the eyes of the consumer.

Many times over the recent decades the Performance Center as turned out hand built beauties that consumers said cost too much

It is only years after their being sold out that we see them bringing double the initial price on the auction sites

SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3536 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post

An early S prefix M-57.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3483 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I decided I wanted a birthday gun. I found a M&P that was shipped in 47 same as me. Turns out it shipped in early April. I was born in late February, so that is as close as I am likely to get.

It is a very nice M&P with a 4 inch barrel.

Posts: 5609 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:

Sorry if this sidetracks the OP a little.... SigSentry, that's a unique grip filler similar to the Tyler T Grip, I've never seen one. Do you have any details on how it attaches?

Posts: 3536 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Some very nice examples in this thread! I'd like to share as well. These are my two pre-war classics.

Model 1905 (pre-10), turns 100 this year built in 1909.
Model 1917, built in 1934 if I remember right.

I need to get certificates for both of them.

And here's that same 1905 with my modern 10-10, Melbourne Australia police gun that I had recoated due to rust and finish wear. I think I dated this one to the 80's, so somewhere around 75 years between them.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GCE61:
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:

Sorry if this sidetracks the OP a little.... SigSentry, that's a unique grip filler similar to the Tyler T Grip, I've never seen one. Do you have any details on how it attaches?

It attaches with 2 screws. I don't have any additional details but looks to be well done.

Posts: 3483 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
Congratulations on the new addition to the Family

That Model 10 looks great

I only have one Model 10 but it is not photographed.

My Smith and Wesson stable is very robust when it comes to the Model 27/327/627 family or the Model 57/357/657 family of revolvers. Plus several others

Here is one of my oldest, a 1953, 38 Special Air-weight Military and Police with the aluminium cylinder

If you really meant "aluminum cylinder" (vs. aluminum frame), I'd be careful with that revolver. If my memory is correct, the Air Force commissioned a run of Model 12s with aluminum cylinders as lightweight last ditch revolvers for pilots. After a few blew up because the aluminum cylders could not handle peak chamber pressure, the Air Force recalled them all and had them destroyed.

https://youtu.be/MGR_29YbLQs

Posts: 55 | Location: Boston | Registered: May 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
My trio of Model 66's.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RKG:
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa

If you really meant "aluminum cylinder" (vs. aluminum frame), I'd be careful with that revolver. If my memory is correct, the Air Force commissioned a run of Model 12s with aluminum cylinders as lightweight last ditch revolvers for pilots. After a few blew up because the aluminum cylders could not handle peak chamber pressure, the Air Force recalled them all and had them destroyed.
It is a fantastic looking 65 year old, aluminium cylinder, revolver. Older than any Model 12. That is why I posted it

Don't you think the owner(s) that kept it looking this good for more than half a century understand it's limitations?

SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also love the look of the 4” pencil barrel

that's why I couldn't pass up this 10-5

also a classic:

and just one of my 19's. a dash 3

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post