SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Suggest an Optic for Springfield AR Pistol
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggest an Optic for Springfield AR Pistol Login/Join 
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted
Just picked one of these up and was wondering what the forum thinks for optic choices. Price should be $500 ish.

https://www.springfield-armory...556-ar-15-pistol-b5/

Primary use will be to carry in my truck. Was thinking of this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Trijico...id=1624453247&sr=8-1

I have not co witnessed pop up sights on any gun so any suggestions there would appreciated as well.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I'd get an MRO for that price point. Cheaper than the RMR, bigger FOV and a battery you don't have to remove the optic to access. Plus you can easily purchase one with a mount included.

That or an Aimpoint PRO for the same reasons, although the PRO is considerably chunkier than the MRO.

Better battery life on either one of those than the RMR as well.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I second the Trijicon MRO. It's arguably the optimum optic for your purposes.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
RMRs and other similar MRDS are good options for true handguns, because you're limited in size by the dimensions of the slide, the requirement for it to be lightweight enough to not impede slide movement, and the need for it to still be concealable and fit in traditional holsters. But with that tiny size comes some drawbacks, so when you have the ability to go a bit larger on a rifle or rifle-like pistol (such as your AR pistol), it's usually worth doing so.

On a rifle or a rifle-like pistol, even if you're wanting to stick with an optic that's still relatively small and light, you can afford to bump up a step in size to something like an Aimpoint Micro or Trijicon MRO, or one of the various cheaper clones. Bigger field of view and better battery life, but still relatively small.

Then the next step up in size from there are the 30mm tube red dots like the Aimpoint PRO. They've even a bit larger and slightly heavier, but can be had for cheaper than the smaller micro red dots. If you're on a budget and aren't 100% set on getting the smallest and lightest optic you can, then they're still a good option for a rifle or rifle-like pistol.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holosun 403R (rotary brightness adjustment) or 403B (push-button brightness adjustment). They're inexpensive and durable. Primary Arms makes a similar dot that is also inexpensive and tough.

I like the MRO fine, but my experience (about fifty total optics used by my agency) has been mixed. I would say we've seen about 8 or so failures. Generally the optics going out of range of adjustment. Trijicon has always been good about fixing them.

To contrast that with Holosun, I've probably sold 100+ assorted optics and am aware of three failures. All were out of the box issues. Holosun also takes care of issues promptly.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was initially hesitant when it came to Holosun, mainly because of their country of origin and a certain amount of ignorance regarding their skill and craft. But after using my 512C for a while now, I have to say that I'm now a believer. Dunno what'll happen to it when the evil Beijing decides to hit the master 'kill' switch Wink , but for now its 65MOA circle-dot reticle has made for one impressive piece of kit. Just got another unit--a 510C--as a evaluation sample. After using it on my 300BLK pistol, I may have to make it a permanent fixture. Main difference between the two is that the 512C is enclosed so (in theory) no dirt or foreign substances can block and foul the emitter, while the 510C is an open design. The dual-power feature that both have is pretty nifty and so far has proven to be very usable.

They're larger than the usual T-2 Micro/Romeo4/SPARC AR style form factor (think more like EOTech, but without the pixelated illumination and the infamous holding-zero scandal baggage), but for me it's a reasonable price to pay for the Holosun's far more usable-to-me circle-dot reticle over a simple dot. The blurring that my astigmatism causes affects my shooting more with a simple dot, whereas the illuminated circle does wonders in reinforcing where I go with my point-of-aim.

$300ish price point for the 510C, $400ish for the 512C.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
The price is very tempting for the 510C.

https://www.amazon.com/Holosun...id=1624470748&sr=8-2

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
All good suggestions, I run a Sig Romeo 5 on mine, good optic clear glass, good design.

and $120 on Amazon

Link

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
For something like this, I'd use a closed emitter carbine oriented optic. Something like this.

https://vortexoptics.com/vorte...parc-ar-red-dot.html

And you're gambling on a braced pistol as the ATF is looking to squeeze them out?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
And you're gambling on a braced pistol as the ATF is looking to squeeze them out?

If they crack down on them, wouldn't I be able to get a SBR stamp for it?

posted Hide Post
For serious AR's I run aimpoint. It is the most proven of the options by a wide margin. And the price for the Pro is reasonable for what you need. My second choice (but by a long way) would be an MRO. I have a number of them on competition guns and they have proven reliable for me but they don't have the track record of aimpoint and you hear of more problems, but its a nice optic. Pretty much you don't want an RMR.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of doublecorona
posted Hide Post
I am happy with the Trijicon MRO/QD mount combo from Larue. Its $460 now:
https://www.larue.com/products...-mro-qd-mount-combo/

Deplorable NRA Life Member

Posts: 1050 | Location: Where my mind is not | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
The price is very tempting for the 510C.

https://www.amazon.com/Holosun...id=1624470748&sr=8-2

If you like that price, you'll love mine. Red and green in stock. Please feel free to reach out for SF pricing due to MAP restrictions.

(And I dig the 510C, also. Big window is nice. I wish they'd have used a T1 pattern).

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Trijicon MRO on my CMMG Banshee AR pistol (10 mm). It is awesome. I am also a believer in Holosun. I have a 510c on my Ruger Deerfield (44 mag semi-auto) and the reticle and dot clarity is excellent (I have moderate astigmatism). I just picked up a 503CU (paralow) tubed Holosun for my M1 carbine, which is an outstanding range toy. But for my Banshee, I wanted to step-up to the MRO.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If you want to go through the process. Then again, who knows if they'll screw with that and/or it's will get crushed by everyone doing the same thing.

quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
quote:

If they crack down on them, wouldn't I be able to get a SBR stamp for it?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I don't that's why I'm buying this Big Grin But I will if I have too I guess.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
How heavy duty are you looking for? If you’re not looking for hardcore duty use, the Romeo 5 is hard to beat.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Trijicon MRO. Or if you decide to up your budget, Aimpoint T1/H1.

Posts: 493 | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I am rural but do have to visit the metro, and Crotchester from time to time. I am thinking I am going to try the Holosun. Thanks for all the feedback!

quote:
Please feel free to reach out for SF pricing due to MAP restrictions.

Email incoming...

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions, now just need to find time to go shoot it.