SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig Custom Works -- What Is This Really?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Custom Works -- What Is This Really? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
For example, this model

https://www.sigsauer.com/p320-axg-classic.html

Looks like a P320 optic ready with aluminum-infused grip and walnut grip panels. The frame is marked with "Custom Works" but there are no lists of improved components, hand fitting, etc.

The case looks nice.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5059 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Supposedly limited edition put together with premium upgrades and and features. They come with an Sig coin and a Negrini case. It’s really just a Kimberized offering from our boy Ron C. Nothing really special about this one other than the grip panels. It was first offered before the AXG frames were readily available. I do have the Scorpion AXG 320, but only because I liked the way if looked and it was the only way to get the AXG frame at the time. I have no need for the rest of the crap that came with it.

Posts: 2968 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I equated it to Smith and Wesson’s performance center line, though S & W does some trigger work/polishing of components I believe as opposed to just simply adding parts or feature sets.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
I equated it to Smith and Wesson’s performance center line, though S & W does some trigger work/polishing of components I believe as opposed to just simply adding parts or feature sets.

It's as Performance Center as the current Performance Center is right now. It does use the upgraded P320 Legion FCU so you do get the better trigger with whatever nitride coating they use for a polish job.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The specs say the frame is stainless steel. I'll get my magnet out tomorrow.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

Nope. AXG = Alloy X Series frame.

Posts: 2968 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
quote:

Interesting as the spec sheet clearly states it’s Stainless.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25440 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
quote:

Frame refers to the FCU, which is stainless steel. This has been standard nomenclature on the P320 series and the P365. Confused me, too, when they first started. The frame that we're so used to on classic pistols is called the grip module on the P320/P365, be it polymer or metal.

Q

Posts: 26464 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It seems to me the correct term would be 'receiver'.

Posts: 107704 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Frame refers to the FCU, which is stainless steel. This has been standard nomenclature on the P320 series and the P365. Confused me, too, when they first started. The frame that we're so used to on classic pistols is called the grip module on the P320/P365, be it polymer or metal.

Granted it is blank on the spec sheet but why do they have a specific section stating FCU material as well?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25440 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Granted it is blank on the spec sheet but why do they have a specific section stating FCU material as well?

The people who manage SIG website screw up all the time. Nothing new. Go look at other P320s and P365s. The nomenclature is in line with what described.

The present example's description is a screw-up. You can't have a frame material as stainless, and, at the same time, frame finish hard coat anodized.
Should have read, "Frame (or FCU) Material = Stainless Steel" and "Grip (or Grip Module) Finish = Hard Coat Anodized".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Posts: 26464 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Jim in marketing said they could charge a few more bucks if it had a fancy name.

Posts: 9168 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Jim in marketing said they could charge a few more bucks if it had a fancy name.

Bottom line.

Q

Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AXG: SIG preying on gunfolk who wax nostalgia about the good ol' days of the P226, P228 and all of the other classic P-SIGs. None of this "plastic fantastic" crap, by golly. GIVE ME METAL, and that sort of select targeted marketing. Otherwise there's nothing feeling remotely "custom" about the guns, at least to me.

Yeah...I admit that this brain-manipulation time machine effect is what got me on the hook for one a while back. Reeled me right on in...by golly. Wore off pretty fast though. Just a P320 that's wearing expensive, fancier pants. Doesn't seem to shoot any better than any of other more plebian P320s.

As for their Custom Works: I'll guess that they felt it too audacious and disingenuous to call it "SIG Masterworks America"?

-MG

Posts: 2007 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the Certificate, the challenge coin and the fancy case. Lol.

Q

Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Don't forget the Certificate, the challenge coin and the fancy case. Lol.

Big Grin

Honestly, it wasn’t until I put LOK palm-swell grips on the AXG frame that the grip module came to life for me. It points and fits like it was designed for my hand. The factory g10 grips were too slick. That said, it probably isn’t worth the all in cost.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Custom price tag.

Posts: 9980 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
For example, this model

https://www.sigsauer.com/p320-axg-classic.html

Looks like a P320 optic ready with aluminum-infused grip and walnut grip panels. The frame is marked with "Custom Works" but there are no lists of improved components, hand fitting, etc.

The case looks nice.

It’s an aluminum frame. Nothing infused about it.

“Custom Works” is more of a marketing gimmick than anything else. Just means some extra features, color schemes, etc. lots of companies do it.

Posts: 1326 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Oh, what a coincidence. Hubby and I were just talking about this one today. Interested in the carry version, with the straight trigger. He asked the same question, why does it say Sig custom works? Lol. He did go look at one, at the LGS, fit his hand really well. But it was a two tone, and he didn’t really want a two tone. Putting it in the back of our minds to think about later.

Posts: 1127 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post