SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The "Great G Gap" is gone!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "Great G Gap" is gone! Login/Join 
Picture of Udo
posted
Ever since we have been allowed to post serial numbers by model number on the forum. There has been a huge gap in the P220 record. Early on there were several one to two thousand number gaps, but the big one was over eight thousand pistols wide. Several of us wondered to ourselves what the cause may be.
Over the years an occasional new serial would appear. But in every case the new entry would simply nibble at the high and low edges of the gap. As 2021 began, the gap was still over six thousand numbers.

-G109-318-HH-1977-45acp-Hawes = Thanks to reganhouse
-G109-5XX-HH-1977-45acp-Hawes = Thanks to 221FB
Great Gap
-G116-066-JB-1981-9mm-No import-Euro release = Thanks to hjs157
-G117-316-JB-1981-9mm-No import = Thanks to Udo

The two high side numbers above were both “nibblers” of the big gap. Another example of a “nibble number” was one I had picked up as a full parts kit, minus the frame, from a weapon destruction firm and failed to report.

G115-XXX-JB-1981-9mm-no import mark, bull nose = Udo

After the armpit year of 2020, 2021 brought a surge of “Gap Nines”. Here’s where I will need guidance from Para and the Moderators. I have all the data to report four other gap busting pistols. They have sold and their owners have yet to report them. One possibility would report them with the last two or three serials Xed out and GB as the source. Please advise me.
I can report the one I selected for my collection and why.

G111-XXX-HJ-1978-9mm-Reverse proofs, pinch nose = Udo

I picked this one because of the reverse proofs. I have only seen this once before on a BDA and since on a near sister to this pistol. One goal is to find where Pinch nose slides end by serial number.

I’m going to pause here before I cover another pistol I forgot to report and one other new acquisition.
Opinions welcome.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Udo,

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
As promised, here's the listing for a an early pinch nose nine from the safe that i found hadn't been posted to the serial list. It's from the second 1000 pistols

G101-XXX-HG-1976-9mm,Dual proofs Swiss on side and German on the bottom=Udo

The second is a nine that I missed nearly two years ago, but got a second bite at the apple.

G100-XXX-HG-1976-9mm,Dual proofs on the side of the chin=Udo

https://hosting.photobucket.co...7/FullSizeRender.jpg

During my searches I have found what may be the earliest known P220 operators manual. It is dated 3.76

https://hosting.photobucket.co...buble77/IMG_4598.jpg

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
Hell, I just found another. My record keeping is in a handbasket.

G104-XXX-HH-1977-9mm, no import mark=Udo

Absolutely nothing unusual about this one except it's very close the first of the '77s (HH)

If anyone has a photo request, I'll see if I can accommodate .

Earliest test target that I know of. 28.1.76 (January)

https://hosting.photobucket.co...e77/pix330529556.jpg

Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Thanks for being the keeper of the data!

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3226 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'm just a fan of all the real keepers on this site. (and early P220's.) Doubt if I will ever measure up to their experience.