SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I got to fondle a Canik Combat Elite...and now
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got to fondle a Canik Combat Elite...and now Login/Join 
posted
I want one! The CET trigger on the FDE Combat Elite is fantastic! Since the Combat Elite Model comes in two flavors, the FDE Combat and the Executive Combat, I have a question - Does the Executive Combat have the same CET trigger as the FDE Combat model? I checked the Canik website and do not see that the Executive model listing the CET trigger. I also would like to hear your experience/opinions of these two models. Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Posts: 465 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
The Salient designed triggers on the FDE Elite Combat and the Elite Combat Executive are identical besides their color anodizing. Funny thing about the two is the FDE Combat's MSRP is a little higher than the Executive's, but the Executive is more popular, which results in the Executive having higher street pricing.

If you get the FDE Combat, be aware that there are two primary SKUs:
HG4617 has a 13.5 x 1mm lefthand threaded barrel. These are older and either out of production or no longer imported to the US.
HG6481 has a 1/2 x 28 righthand threaded barrel.

FDE Combats used to come w/ four optic mounting plates, but in the past year or two, Canik cheaped out and cut them back to one (the one compatible w/ Vortex).

My introduction to Canik was a TP9SA. It ran 100%. That led to a TP9SFx. It ran 100%. I now have a Combat Executive. It's one of the best striker-fired guns I've ever used... when it works. I had 'failure to return to battery' and 'failure to reset' problems w/ mine. I know a guy w/ FDE Combat who is currently having similar problems.

I emailed Canik/EAA, and they sent me a lighter & heavier recoil spring to try out. I installed the heavier one. My past two range trips w/ my Executive, I shot various ammo. It ran 100% w/ 124gr. 1-2 of the different 115gr, I still experienced RTB & striker-reset failure. I think some of the 115gr is underpowered to cycle the slide completely w/ the heavier recoil spring.

I have mixed feelings about the Elite Combat. Mine is the most enjoyable striker gun I own, but I don't know if I'd trust my life w/ it yet. I'm probably good as long as I stick to 124gr. My shooting is nothing to brag about, but the Executive is one of my few guns where I can 'shoot a ragged hole' w/ it.

Lately I've seen Elite Combats online for ~$600, so if you want one, the getting is good right now.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
100% right run 124 and no issues. They were designed for 124. I currently own many Caniks and also the elite combats and I've never had any cycling issues from any of mine. Fyi I break mine in with 124 then run a lot of 115 without a any issues.

German (triple) Sig pro 2022 9mm
German(tripe with proof marks) Sig pro 2022 40 P226 stainless Elite 9 P229 Elite 40/357 1911 ECS 45 P938

Posts: 33 | Location: United States | Registered: March 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Just me, but I do not support Turkish weapon makers. Not while they are cozying up to Russia.
BTW I had a Canik before. The slide seemed to be much fatter than a Glock or any other striker gun. Made me wonder if they used a lesser steel that had to be thicker?

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Elite Combat FDE for $566.10 after coupon code "FALL". At this price, someone is losing money on these. That has to be below most retailer's dealer cost.

https://www.reedssports.com/fi...9mm-4-73in-hg6481d-n

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Interesting about the misfires/failure to reset issues. I shot a match last weekend with a guy who had probably 10 "failures to ignite" throughout the match with his Canik. He said he's only changed the recoil spring. Seems like a fantastic price for a good gun... if you get one that works.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank for all of the input. I just bought one on GB for $549 plus fees. Hope to get it early next week and run it to the range. I will start with some 124 grain NATO and then see if it runs with 115 grain. I have the TP9-SFX with the Vortex Venom sight - It ran fine with the 115.
Question - Are the uppers interchangeable?

Posts: 465 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend had numerous failures to chamber with 115gr ball ammo. He called Canik, and they told him the guns were set up for 124 gr Nato ammo. They went him a lower pound recoil spring, and all is well.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had no trouble with my SFX running 115gr FMJ.

Posts: 794 | Location: York Pa. | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
A friend had numerous failures to chamber with 115gr ball ammo. He called Canik, and they told him the guns were set up for 124 gr Nato ammo. They went him a lower pound recoil spring, and all is well.
Uh huh Roll Eyes

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Canik was interesting when it was cheap. They came off as a good quality gun that could be had for significantly less than the name brand manufacturers. But now there prices seem to be creeping up into name brand territory, there are better options.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, it's perfectly normal for a 9x19 pistol to not feed 115 grain fmj without tweaking.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
No, it's perfectly normal for a 9x19 pistol to not feed 115 grain fmj without tweaking.

That's the answer HK customer service gives.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
A 9mm pistol designed to run only with 124? A pistol named Combat no less. If true, that's just beyond stupid. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post