SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Duty-ready, flat-faced, curved Glock trigger that do not reduce length of pull or safety design?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duty-ready, flat-faced, curved Glock trigger that do not reduce length of pull or safety design? Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted
Hi all,

I would like to experiment a flat-faced Glock trigger for my Gen 3 G19. I only want the face itself to be flat. I still prefer a curve to the trigger. I'm also looking for a proven reliable solution that is suitable for self defense, and one that does *not* reduce the length of pull (I prefer a long smooth pull like a short DA revolver) nor affect any safety measures that are designed into the Glock trigger system. This will be used in conjunction with a Striker Control Device (SCD) from Tau Dev Group which I have on all of my Glocks. I am also willing to experiment with a new trigger bar/connector combo as well if it is a proven reliable solution. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Chris

Posts: 2332 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 181 | Location: NEPA | Registered: March 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Timney is the cats meow.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
I'm also looking for a proven reliable solution that is suitable for self defense

The factory Glock trigger is everything you need. Its the only "duty ready" trigger in existence.

Don't change triggers on "duty" guns. Learn the gun, become proficient with it in its stock configuration.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
The Vickers and Timney triggers recommend above have flat faces but are not curved per the OP's request.

quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
I'm also looking for a proven reliable solution that is suitable for self defense

The factory Glock trigger is everything you need. Its the only "duty ready" trigger in existence.

Don't change triggers on "duty" guns. Learn the gun, become proficient with it in its stock configuration.

It sounds as if Chris wants to change his trigger shoe, which doesn't affect how the trigger system functions. A lot of shooters don't like grooves on the the trigger face. A lot of shooters find the protruding safety tab irritates their finger after a long day of shooting.

My recommendations from most to least expensive:

Overwatch Precision Falx trigger - I had one of these and liked it, but the radius/roundness of the face might be more than you want. It comes w/ trigger bar and overall might change your pull characteristics more than you want (that being none at all).

Lone Wolf Ultimate Adjustable Trigger shoe - aluminum alloy shoe adjustable for pre & over-travel. Of course, you don't have to adjust it at all and leave the travel same as OEM.

Johnny Glock enhanced OEM trigger shoe - OEM trigger shoe w/ flat face and adjustable pre-travel

OEM replacement trigger shoe - cost ~$15. Use a Dremel & high grit sandpaper to flatten the face yourself. If you're not confident doing that, or it's too much trouble, get the Johnny Glock above. It's only $22.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:

OEM replacement trigger shoe - cost ~$15. Use a Dremel & high grit sandpaper to flatten the face yourself. If you're not confident doing that, or it's too much trouble, get the Johnny Glock above. It's only $22.

Sorry for the drift, Hey Chef do you know of anywhere that a person can actually buy an OEM trigger shoe ??? I'd like to but can't find anywhere.. again , sorry for the drift mike

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:

Sorry for the drift, Hey Chef do you know of anywhere that a person can actually buy an OEM trigger shoe ??? I'd like to but can't find anywhere.. again , sorry for the drift mike

I just tried looking and couldn't find anyplace that has them in stock. Maybe if you contact Johnny Glock, he'll sell you an OEM trigger shoe that he hasn't modified yet.

Other than that, I'd put out a WTB ad/post on local classifieds if you have them in your area or a Glock forum website or FB group.

Edited to add: Lone Wolf's website says they have the Gen4 trigger shoe & bar assembly in stock for $17.99.

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/PRODUCT/481/glo-3608/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: iron chef,

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I use Johnny Glock shoes in all mine. I like a little bit of pre-travel, and have mine set about half way between factory and the wall.

Johnny uses an exacto blade to shave off the trigger safety tab flush. He has a method that lines up the flat of the blade along the face of the trigger as a guide, and slices it flush in one fell swoop.

I don't think Glock sells the OEM shoes separate, and all of Johnny Glock's OEM shoes are take-offs from factory trigger bar assemblies.

Your best bet might be to buy a factory Glock17 Gen3 trigger bar assembly and shave the tab, or an Overwatch PolyDAT.

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I like the Apex trigger shoe on many of my Glocks, it checks the boxes you mentioned and it’s fairly flat.

I have 2 Timney triggers in match guns.
You can mix and match spring weight and connector styles to give different pull weights.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think Glock sells the OEM shoes separate...

You're correct. Glock classifies the entire trigger bar with shoe as one part and has a single SKU for the entire assembly (trigger shoe, inertia block lever, lever spring, pin, bar). If someone wants just the shoe alone for whatever reason, or the shoe and inertia block lever, then they buy the bar assembly and disassemble it themselves for the parts they want. Many aftermarket Glock triggers reuse the factory trigger bar (albeit often modified in some form) rather than fabricate one themselves.

The factory trigger bar assembly is generally not that expensive though these days they might be harder to find given how relatively difficult it still is to find Glocks in plentiful supply. Fewer whole guns often means fewer spare parts made by Glock for individual sale. Add in all of those ghost and aftermarket Glock pattern builds, and availability is made all the more strained. Prior to Woohooflu we'd have anywhere from 25 to 30 different factory Glock models and variants in inventory; these days we'd be lucky to have more than 7 or 8. At closing yesterday we were down to 4 again.

For radiused, flat cross-plane bows/shoes I've long liked how ZEV does theirs however they don't sell them separately. They do sell their bar assemblies separate from their usual complete trigger groups, but it would require disassembly in order to just salvage and reuse the shoe and inertial block lever and rebound spring. Easier to just replace the trigger bar assembly as a whole and be done with it.

quote:
Timney is the cats meow.

Timney from their website touts their trigger designs as having a 3 lb break. Is that generally appropriate and acceptable for a "duty-ready" pistol? This seems like a litigation disaster of P320 proportions just waiting to happen.

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
The Timney is an innovative design and gives the user a trigger platform that can have a VERY light trigger pull if that's your desire. But in my opinion I'd only use these as competitive or range toys.
Even with the "+" connector (8#) and a 6 or 6.5 firing pin spring it's still a little too light to be considered a defensive gun.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GCE61:

Even with the "+" connector (8#) and a 6 or 6.5 firing pin spring it's still a little too light to be considered a defensive gun.

Nonsense.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
All my gen 3 G19 pistols came with that annoying grooved target trigger. You can install a gen 3 G17 trigger bar into the pistol. It has a much better (normal) trigger, than the sucky grooved target trigger.

That was the first (and only) mod I made on all my gen 3 G26 and gen 3 G19 pistols.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Thank you, everyone, for the feedback. It seems every option either reduces length of pull or introduced extra complexities. I may just go with a smooth OEM trigger. And yeah, that Timney trigger is *light*.

And FYI... here's a cool video someone did scientifically comparing the pull characteristics of various aftermarket Glock triggers. Very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4vkz1IuetY

Posts: 2332 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
I understand your further into your research and I’m a little late to the game but I recommend the Overwatch Precision Tac. Weights all stay the same and leaves the factory safeties in place. While it doesn’t reduce the trigger weight like On the APEX I have in my M&P 2.0, it does exactly what it’s supposed to. Personally I prefer the Tac trigger shoe to the APEX.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
A note on pull length, the triggers with reduced pre/travel length only shortens the travel from fully extended to the wall, the length of pull from reset to the break is the same as factory.
A trigger shoe like the overwatch, or Johnny Glocks upgraded shoe will feel the same after the take up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nismo,

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
All my gen 3 G19 pistols came with that annoying grooved target trigger. You can install a gen 3 G17 trigger bar into the pistol. It has a much better (normal) trigger, than the sucky grooved target trigger.

I did the same thing to every 3rd Gen compact or subcompact Glock I have owned. Plenty of videos on Youtube will show anyone how to do it.

Posts: 6621 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing I learned about the flat faced triggers, was the feeling of the trigger itself in that it made the trigger pull/weight feel/seem lighter. I have bought several types over the years trying to find the right one-ZEV, Agency, Pyramid,etc., and the one I liked the most and was actually the cheapest and was made by Kineti- Tech.

They make their own trigger but use the stock trigger bar, so you don't change anything about the original set up,only the trigger shoe itself. You can buy just the shoe and attach it to your factory Glock trigger bar or one that is already on a factory Glock trigger bar. The shoe itself comes in many configurations and for the price, you would be amazed at the difference it makes without sacrificing possible safety issues with the Glock design.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
I put an Overwatch Precision drop in (NP3) 43x to get rid of the serrations. Didn't change the trigger pull, but feels smoother and I like flat faced triggers.

I'm going to put one in my G19 Gen5 also.

https://overwatchprecision.com...at-drop-in-kits-new/

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackwater:
I put an Overwatch Precision drop in (NP3) 43x to get rid of the serrations. Didn't change the trigger pull, but feels smoother and I like flat faced triggers.

I'm going to put one in my G19 Gen5 also.

https://overwatchprecision.com...at-drop-in-kits-new/

When you select the NP3 version, do they polish the bar first to smoothen out the rough edges, or do they simply refinish them as is?