SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Handgun transfer question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handgun transfer question Login/Join 
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted
Here's the deal.

I live in the home my parents lived in when they were alive and there's a handgun here that my daddy bought probably in the 60's that my sister wants. Only two children me and her and no will.
I'm in Louisiana and she lives just across the state line in Mississippi.

Question is can she come and get the gun and take it home as hers?

Thanks

Posts: 13021 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No proof is required that your father gave her the firearm as a gift. If she owned the firearm and is now collecting her property, legally obtained as a gift from your father when she was at the address in Louisiana, then she can pick it up.

Otherwise, it can be sent to her via an FFL in her state, with a transfer performed by that FFL.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
No proof is required that your father gave her the firearm as a gift. If she owned the firearm and is now collecting her property, legally obtained as a gift from your father when she was at the address in Louisiana, then she can pick it up.

Otherwise, it can be sent to her via an FFL in her state, with a transfer performed by that FFL.

It's hers she just never took it home with her after daddy died now she wants it.

Posts: 13021 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
I agree with snsguppy. Get it and take it home. Just remember that she is in MS and thank God she is not in MA or ILL or behind enemy lines in CA.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's up to you to decide if you want to obey the law when no one is looking, but according to federal law going through an FFL is not necessary for an interstate transfer if you acquire a firearm by bequest or intestate succession. You say there was no will. Did you go through probate and list this firearm as one of the possessions in his estate that would be transferred to heirs?

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
It's up to you to decide if you want to obey the law when no one is looking, but according to federal law going through an FFL is not necessary for an interstate transfer if you acquire a firearm by bequest or intestate succession. You say there was no will. Did you go through probate and list this firearm as one of the possessions in his estate that would be transferred to heirs?

When daddy died there were two pieces of property one he inherited and one that he and mama bought. My sister and I got the inherited part and half of the other piece since it was community property. We signed over the use of everything to our mama and that was it. Mama has died since then. It's just my sister and I if she lived about a mile south from where her home is she would be in Louisiana and I wouldn't have asked she could have just taken it home with her. Neither state registers guns so the only record of the gun is I guess when daddy bought it probably in the 60's from a store in Baton Rouge.

posted Hide Post
You're over thinking it, just tell her to come and get the gun. Absolutely no one knows who the gun belongs to. She isn't gonna get stopped and grilled about ownership and inter state transfers.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post