SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Questions about W. German, triple numbered, and box colors...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about W. German, triple numbered, and box colors... Login/Join 
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted
I have a P225 that date codes to 1990 and is in a green cardboard box, it is triple numbered. Also have a nickel P226 that dates to 1991, it is in a gray box, and triple numbered. Thirdly have a P220 .38 Super that dates to 1982 in a blue cardboard box, but it only has 2 SN's, one on barrel and one on slide. All 3 of the above are W. German.

Question 1: Why would the older P220 not also be triple numbered? I am surprised there is not one on the frame, that I can see.

Question 2: Were the cardboard boxes color coded to guns or to years of production? I think the P226 is gray because of the finish, but curious about the other two.

Thanks for your input!

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
I have a P225 that date codes to 1990 and is in a green cardboard box, it is triple numbered. Also have a nickel P226 that dates to 1991, it is in a gray box, and triple numbered. Thirdly have a P220 .38 Super that dates to 1982 in a blue cardboard box, but it only has 2 SN's, one on barrel and one on slide. All 3 of the above are W. German.

Question 1: Why would the older P220 not also be triple numbered? I am surprised there is not one on the frame, that I can see.

It's on the front strap of the frame. There has to be a serial number on the frame.

quote:
Question 2: Were the cardboard boxes color coded to guns or to years of production? I think the P226 is gray because of the finish, but curious about the other two.

Thanks for your input!

Early SIGs had different colored cardboard boxes for each model. Blue for P220, Green for P225, Yellow/Orange for P226, Red for P228. About 1990 on, they started to come in the same colored cardboard box, grayish. Then about 1995, they all changed again, to the gray plastic case inside the soft outer cardboard sleeve.

Q

Posts: 26491 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Yep, I see that 3rd serial number on the 220 now, thanks for telling me where to look.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What color were the P230 cardboard boxes? I know they're out there but never saw one. This is just a guess but there must have been at least a couple versions: the first when they were imported by Hawes and later one (or two) when imported by Interarms and by SIG/SAUER following them.

Posts: 2012 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
RED. I know of red cloth cover hinged and plain red cardboard at a minimum.

Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
1977 P-220 only serial number is on front strap. Blue box is blank

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Udo:

Just threw these together for a quick family photo

I started with nothing,
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the replies and additional info!

Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:

Is your P220 a Hawes import? Early P220's imported by Hawes were serialized on the front strap of the receiver and the port side of the barrel. The slides were void of any serial number.

Posts: 3509 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
quote:
Originally posted by p08:

Is your P220 a Hawes import? Early P220's imported by Hawes were serialized on the front strap of the receiver and the port side of the barrel. The slides were void of any serial number.

Yep, had to take the barrel out, but it was marked on the left side.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: p08,

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SiGagain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
What color were the P230 cardboard boxes? I know they're out there but never saw one. This is just a guess but there must have been at least a couple versions: the first when they were imported by Hawes and later one (or two) when imported by Interarms and by SIG/SAUER following them.

Here you go...wish I never sold this one...
P1000145_edited-1 by wlegg206, on Flickr

Fast is Fine...Accuracy is Final
*SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX
*SiG/Sauer*P220*P226*P228*P230*P245*SPC2009*P365

NRA Benefactor Life/LEAA Life Membership

Posts: 2411 | Location: ChicagoLand, USA | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
Great photo! Here's the hinged lid textured card stock version that preceded yours.

Picture of SiGagain
posted Hide Post
nice...

Bill

Fast is Fine...Accuracy is Final
*SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX
*SiG/Sauer*P220*P226*P228*P230*P245*SPC2009*P365

NRA Benefactor Life/LEAA Life Membership

Posts: 2411 | Location: ChicagoLand, USA | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I know what you mean about wishing having not gotten rid of some guns. Especially some German ones in those relatively small compact cardboard or plastic boxes with the multi-language manuals and test target numbered to the pistol. So simple but quaint with attention to detail! Thanks for the pics.

Posts: 2012 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post