SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What happened to sig quality?
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What happened to sig quality? Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The only true quality issues I have had with SIG was with a Revolution Carry 1911, over 15 years ago. My personal 320 (a 9mm compact from 2017 that later got the drop safety upgrade) has been flawless. It hasn't gone off by itself or anything.

Posts: 27963 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I only own one P320, the compact version, and it has never failed to fire or function as designed let a lone gone off by itself..(but then maybe I bought the one good one they made)
I do own a number of P226s and P239s made over a goodly number of years and just like with the P320c they all have functioned perfectly.. .well one p239 did not like to hand chamber rounds (never jammed when firing it) but I finally fixed that.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Report This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I guess I am just an old troglodyte, but, as far as I am concerned, polymer Sigs are never going to meet the quality of the old P series guns. You want polymer, get a Glock.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Report This Post
Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
I think Sig quality was at it's peak in the latter part of the last century. I'm assuming they were having cash flow issues when Cowen was brought on board. Then, from what I've read (I have no direct experience) employee moral dropped. And with unhappy workers quality will suffer. Ex. I had one P938 I worked on that had both sights well off to the right side of the slide. It shot fine and looked dumb. Final QC was AWOL.

Decisions, like the use of MIM parts for sears and hammers to save money. That would have been fine if they checked alignment and did post molding machining to true up the parts as needed. I put DyKem on those mating surfaces - out of a couple of dozen guns, I can't remember seeing a truly perfect fit up. I worked on one P938, that's supposed to have a trigger pull of 7-8 lbs (if memory serves) that was over 12 lbs - nuts!

I think Sig's USA's quality has rebounded some, though not to where it was in the 90's and early 20's. I have some Master Shop guns from '07 that are perfection, sadly that's closed down now. I've purchased quite a few Sig's during the last decade, but not one made during that time frame. Nothing they're currently making interests me.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
My p365 has made two trips back to Sig. In the beginning FTF. Recently abnormal barrel wear around the lock up.

Sig customer service was great with the FTF. They were not so great with the barrel wear issue.

Posts: 141 | Location: Fort Myers, FL , USA | Registered: March 02, 2004Report This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Have you noticed the front sight moving on the 365? My 365X front sight is. Had it centered back once and it moved again.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5752 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nepatriot:
Not only does the 320 have issues about going off by itself video's on YouTube some even in a holster but even my State police dropped it for poor quality. They went from p220 to glock. Guess the older ones are the best

LOL to the Glock guy. Eek

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
I guess I am just an old troglodyte, but, as far as I am concerned, polymer Sigs are never going to meet the quality of the old P series guns. You want polymer, get a Glock.

I guess you've never shot a SiG Pro.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Report This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I was one of those who scoffed at a “plastic SIG” back when the Pro came about. Once I shot one boy did my tune change. Nicest DA of all the SIGs I had experience with and boy that gun shot great. I probably should have bought one at some point.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Report This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
It would be easier (and smarter!) for SIG to simply offer the Manual Safety version of the P320 for LE, as well as the commercial market for those that prefer one. They already have the product/design, which they are currently producing and selling to the .mil in the M17 & M18 anyway.

I believe they do. The problem is departments aren't buying them.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Report This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I’ve been buying SIGs since they were still stamped with the made in W Germany. There were several models that I chose to stay away from starting with the Granite 1911. I waited a bit until the teething problems on the P365 were worked out before I jumped in.

My P320s and P365s have been flawless and have yet to go off by themselves. I have a P938 SAS that has been flawless. Not one malfunction with 1000s of rounds down range. My newest SIG is a MK25 P226 and the quality is every bit as good as my older SIG models. The worst quality SIG I owned was a P226ST which functioned flawlessly but had tooling marks visible on the outside that drove me nuts. So nuts that I had Brad at CCR remove them all and lay down a bead blast finish, which he hit out of the park. Now that gun rivals the tooling and finish work on my Ed Brown 1911s.

Like every product line, quality control tends to ebb and flow. They all aren’t going to be perfect including Glocks. Anyone that thinks otherwise hasn’t experienced a Gen 4 Glock that ejected brass to the face. I had a G19 that put brass to the forehead or face at least 6-7 times per magazine. Glock kept sending me new parts to try and the issue was basically mitigated to about 1 round to the face per 100 rounds fired with an Apex extractor. My son still owns that gun because he likes the trigger and shoots it well. BTW, that was the second crappy gun I owned from Glock. I had a G36 that was used for CCW. One day at the range I decided I was going to shoot/rotate my carry ammo. I pulled the gun from its holster, fired one round and the gun jammed so bad it took a gunsmith and a mallet to get it apart. That gun could have cost me my life.

Any mechanical device can fail but I have yet to see a gun go off all by itself.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Report This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
Like every product line, quality control tends to ebb and flow. They all aren’t going to be perfect including Glocks. Anyone that thinks otherwise hasn’t experienced a Gen 4 Glock that ejected brass to the face. I had a G19 that put brass to the forehead or face at least 6-7 times per magazine. Glock kept sending me new parts to try and the issue was basically mitigated to about 1 round to the face per 100 rounds fired with an Apex extractor. My son still owns that gun because he likes the trigger and shoots it well. BTW, that was the second crappy gun I owned from Glock. I had a G36 that was used for CCW. One day at the range I decided I was going to shoot/rotate my carry ammo. I pulled the gun from its holster, fired one round and the gun jammed so bad it took a gunsmith and a mallet to get it apart. That gun could have cost me my life.

Any mechanical device can fail but I have yet to see a gun go off all by itself.

There's also the early Glock 22 and 23 that experienced regular KaBooms from .40 cal ammo that no other gun had a problem with. Glock also had several NDs with people jamming their guns back into an obstructed holster as well.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Report This Post