SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What happened to sig quality?
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What happened to sig quality? Login/Join 
Banned
posted
Not only does the 320 have issues about going off by itself video's on YouTube some even in a holster but even my State police dropped it for poor quality. They went from p220 to glock. Guess the older ones are the best

posted Hide Post
What happened with the P320 is still up for debate. In my mind its potential failings are not about build quality, but about design choices regarding the trigger configuration that SIG made early and decided to go with. IF SIG is paying a price now, it's all due to those decisions that they chose to follow, and apparently with holster manufacturers (namely Safariland, I'd say) that somehow can't create designs that can guarantee that the P320 trigger as designed and made won't be inadvertently engaged at some point.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Report This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of threads already on these topics, there is no problem with current Sig quality.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Report This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I love it when people post about what's going on where they are, without being willing to share where they are. This thread has the bonus of being based on conjecture though... Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Report This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Police and military procurement decisions unfortunately have a lot more to do with politics and price than quality. Police duty requirements also differ somewhat from what might be the best choice for an individual.

The beauty of being a private citizen is that you DO get to make your own decisions about what you carry. Try it for yourself, decide what you like, and carry what you want. Don't limit yourself because of some corporate decision made for other people.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Report This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
Not a quality issue, they are producing a product that works while keeping the cost down so they can sell it. Look at the classic Sigs, the ones that put their name on the "Hell and back reliability".
Just hold an original P220, and then a new one. There is just something about the classics, I would say "refined", but there may be a better word for it. The new stuff still works, they can not produce the "refined" feel and keep it affordable.
This is just my opinion, I'm sure there are some that will disagree but that is my take on it.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Report This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rizzle:
Not a quality issue, they are producing a product that works while keeping the cost down so they can sell it. Look at the classic Sigs, the ones that put their name on the "Hell and back reliability".
Just hold an original P220, and then a new one. There is just something about the classics, I would say "refined", but there may be a better word for it. The new stuff still works, they can not produce the "refined" feel and keep it affordable.
This is just my opinion, I'm sure there are some that will disagree but that is my take on it.

this 100%

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3318 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nepatriot:
Not only does the 320 have issues about going off by itself video's on YouTube some even in a holster but even my State police dropped it for poor quality. They went from p220 to glock. Guess the older ones are the best

What state Police Dropped the 320?

Posts: 442 | Location: people republic of Crapachusettes | Registered: September 05, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned dozens of Sigs over the years, spanning different eras of manufacturing. The classic stamped Sigs are some of my favorites. I also think stainless slide p series Sigs are excellent pistols. I don't have any experience with the 320 or 365 to date, but every single other SIG pistol I have owned has been absolutely gtg.

Posts: 713 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Report This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
If your state police are dropping P220 for Glock I’d bet it’s a 9mm Glock? Cheaper to buy, cheaper to feed, lighter to carry around all day, and easier for cops to shoot well. Doubt it was based on the quality of the P220.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2445 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Must be talking about CT State Police.
They just swapped their over 10yr old 220's for Glock model 45's.

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing to keep in mind is that the quality of teaching at Engineering schools has dropped a lot. Because the students get more classroom hours on Diversity and inclusion crap than actual Science. The end result is that the designs I see coming out of Ford, GM, and Chrysler is beyond poor, I am seeing product designs that cannot actually be manufactured. At present I think Ford is by far the worst and I can guarantee you that I will never ever purchased an electric vehicle made by Ford. Because the "engineering" is so damned poor at Ford that I don't think they are capable of actually making a golf cart that actually is reliable.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:
Must be talking about CT State Police.
They just swapped their over 10yr old 220's for Glock model 45's.

So in all likelihood this 'may' have NOTHING to do with 'quality' if they trading in 10 YO pistols after all. Firearm mfrs. offer sweetheart deals to convert an LE agency to their brand all the time. They'll practically give the new pistols away, and get a distributor involved to they buy back the old pistols, while offering new holsters at a ridiculous price as part of the deal. Of course this assumes we are actually talking about CT, but who knows...

Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Report This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I think QC issues are the nature of the beast when a company goes from a “fairly small” fairly targeted to professional users entity to a huge company trying to have a product for everybody as well as innovate in the process.

Glock might sell eleventy billion pistols but they are basically the same pistol as they were selling in 1984 so not a lot of gotchas or unknowns at play.

SIG throws a lot of new stuff at the wall to see what sticks so lots of unknowns at play.

Neither is ultimately a bad thing holistically and both methodologies have merit especially in the firearms market.

I do personally think SIG QC has dropped since the days before Ron Cohen though and I would like them to focus more on refining a simpler product catalog then adding Rose colored accents or gold plated barrels or tiny variations to everything.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
P320 and the issues reported, of which, other than the early drop issue which was solved, haven't all been shown to be user inflicted?

But as was said earlier, Glock probably gave them a sweetheart deal, and the current staff at the agency may be Glockophiles, 10 years ago the brass may have been Sig people, since if CT, Sig is hq nearby.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
P320 and the issues reported, of which, other than the early drop issue which was solved, haven't all been shown to be user inflicted?

While I agree it seems every instance is a user induced issue, it does seem that the overall design makes it less forgiving to missteps and that might not be the best thing for a large user base many of which are non gun people.

I am surprised that SIG never released their tabbed “dingus” trigger and I am surprised they don’t make it an option now. I realize some of that might be some kind of fear of tacitly admitting some kind of error but I almost think it would make for a nice option and I am sure some kind of marketing could be done to differentiate it as the “hard use” model or some such.

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Report This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:
They just swapped their over 10yr old 220's

That means most of them are ready for their first cleaning. Big Grin

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Report This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:

While I agree it seems every instance is a user induced issue, it does seem that the overall design makes it less forgiving to missteps and that might not be the best thing for a large user base many of which are non gun people.

I am surprised that SIG never released their tabbed “dingus” trigger and I am surprised they don’t make it an option now. I realize some of that might be some kind of fear of tacitly admitting some kind of error but I almost think it would make for a nice option and I am sure some kind of marketing could be done to differentiate it as the “hard use” model or some such.

It would be easier (and smarter!) for SIG to simply offer the Manual Safety version of the P320 for LE, as well as the commercial market for those that prefer one. They already have the product/design, which they are currently producing and selling to the .mil in the M17 & M18 anyway.

Live Free or Die!

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I thought the same about the safety but that would require a fair bit of re-training vs adding just a tiny bit of extra “Murphy space” with the dingus without needing any retraining.

It’s all academic really and I tend to fall on the end of the spectrum where admin gun handling is far more likely then gunfighting (thank Christ and may it ever be so for me) so I am willing to give up a super nice trigger pull for some added safety headroom. I know, I know TRAINING!!! But I am not an operator nor am I infallible so I like a little more weight to my trigger on defensive firearms. A little bit of age and experience has taught me that infallible thing. Frown. Razz

That’s all personal pref for me and not a sermon for thee in anyway.

posted Hide Post
Ron Cohen

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 546 | Registered: December 14, 2005Report This Post