SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Hadn’t found a Smith revolver in awhile
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hadn’t found a Smith revolver in awhile Login/Join 
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted
Hadn’t being the key work in that sentence
586-3 6” Silhouette model
Couple small finish blemishes, grips are mint, no box
Locks up like the proverbial bank vault, every silhouette model I’ve found has very good timing and lockup if it hasn’t been shot much, they left the factory right it seems

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2917 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Oh so nice a revolver. I had the 8 3/8" model 586 and a few 686s, one exactly like your 586. They make for a very nice wadcutter gun as well. Mated my 686 to a Millett rear target sight. Only ever owned 2 L frames with that 50/50 red ramp thing, a 4" 586 night stand gun and a 6" round butt I snagged on GB.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's up with the funky looking front sight?

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
Looks like the front sight blade can be fine tuned for elevation?

Beautiful Smith! I'd love to have a 4".

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Its a patridge blade for more precise shooting. The thumb wheel and set screws set it elevation for 4 different yardages. If you depress down the rear of the blade, its wheel turns to another sight position. When the term metallic sights is used, it generally means black sights of target blade and black rear, serrated ramp or a peep style in the case of rifles. The OPs 586 wears a patridge blade which is adjustable to preset elevations.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The guns square butt stocks are perfect. My 8 3/8" model was dressed with full target hammer and trigger. 35 years have passed sinse I bought that. Hornady drew a 180 grain truncated cone bullet for silhouette shooting. With the right powder and charge it was extremely accurate at the longer ranges.

posted Hide Post
Very cool. Nothing like having an older S&W revolver.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Its a patridge blade for more precise shooting. The thumb wheel and set screws set it elevation for 4 different yardages. If you depress down the rear of the blade, its wheel turns to another sight position. When the term metallic sights is used, it generally means black sights of target blade and black rear, serrated ramp or a peep style in the case of rifles. The OPs 586 wears a patridge blade which is adjustable to preset elevations.

yup,

it's the Silhouette model,
silhouettes are shot at 4 distances, so you can set your elevation for each back of targets,
(chicken, turkey, deer, ram IIRC)

I have that pistol but as a 686,
trigger has been massaged a bit,

shoots much much better than I

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
While that four position front sight was used on the Silhouette models (8 3/8" 586/686 and 10 5/8" 29's) the use of that sight on the 6" and 4" 586/686 was more for use in shooting PPC.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1450 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Oh that’s nice.

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pizza Bob:
While that four position front sight was used on the Silhouette models (8 3/8" 586/686 and 10 5/8" 29's) the use of that sight on the 6" and 4" 586/686 was more for use in shooting PPC.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
Yes it is a dandy for PPC. Also, that beautiful 10 5/8" Model 29s front sight has a much finer blade. That is perfect on the most distant targets. I should have owned one.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
So nice! Congrats and hang on to that one! The 586 and 686 Series of S&Ws were the epitome of revolvers for duty, HD, or target shooting. I've still got my 3" Plus Model 686, but regret selling a Bill Davis special 5" gun I used in PPC competition.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3211 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JMag
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Too bad many younger shooters don’t appreciate the wheel gun more. All good...more for those of us who do.

JMag
"The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." ? Winston Churchill

Posts: 798 | Location: Southeastern U.S. | Registered: March 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Wow, nice. Looks expensive.

And yes, I would rather have a beautiful Smith&Wesson than a Colt python any day....

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
My collection seems to have grown in the last few years…

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Mod. 317 pre-lock today . Double action .22 LR revolvers are hard to find around here .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yup,

it's the Silhouette model,
silhouettes are shot at 4 distances, so you can set your elevation for each back of targets,
(chicken, turkey, deer, ram IIRC)

I have that pistol but as a 686,
trigger has been massaged a bit,

shoots much much better than I[/QUOTE]

Chicken, javalina, turkey, ram. In that order. From 50 to 200 yards with center fire handgun.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
That's a nice looking revolver and in great condition.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post