SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIGSauer "Duty Holsters"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIGSauer "Duty Holsters" Login/Join 
Picture of SIGguy229
posted
Just looked at the recent offering of "duty holsters" from SIG...made by Alien Gear. I gave them a look--and Safariland they are most definitely not. They look very bulky and sloppy. Anyone have one? How do they function?

Posts: 1723 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I did not realize Sig was partnering with Aliengear to sell branded holsters. That explains why our Sheriff's department has been looking at the Aliengears. They evaluated a couple and have said good things about them. The retention devices function differently from what I'm used to with the Safariland ALS/SLS...not necessarily better or worse, just different. They do seem to function ok, but IMO they haven't been using them long enough to really test their durability. When I asked what's wrong with the current 6360s and why they would consider switching, I was told the Aliengears are cheaper.

From what I saw of them, I'd be pissed if you took my Safariland and replaced it with one of those things. I didn't get to actually use one myself, but I got a close look at a couple and got the impression that the overall build quality was not on par with the Safariland offerings. I've been picked up and thrown around by the gun in my Safariland duty holster in training, and I have full confidence in that piece of equipment. Normally I'm all for having options, but when it starts tempting administrators to cut corners to save a buck on something as important as a duty holster, it doesn't make me happy.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Ken Hackathorn calls this type of holster "buckets".

Posts: 107597 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Wow. I thought the Safarilands were huge.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually get a Safariland ALS Holster for any pistol I buy. Not crazy about their design or bulk but they are durable and they just work. I would pass on the Sig holsters until they have the track record of Safariland.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Aliengear has been spending a lot of money with influencers to try to take a bite out of Safariland business. Money must be good because a couple of guys talk non stop about it on their social media channels. It’s gotten almost as annoying as Mantis.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually have one or more ALS holsters for my duty style guns. Beretta 92, Glocks, HK's, 1911 even. They are gun buckets but they also protect the gun, retain the gun, cover the trigger (no wml types here, I was trying the sell that one), give very fast draws. In fact I find them to be about the fastest draw of any holster I use. The ALS hits my thumb perfectly and there is ZERO drag on the draw ever. I can't say that about any leather or kydex holster I have ever owned.

I set up both my belts with the QLS forks so I can use any number of guns with my belt setup.

One thing I discovered is that if you remove the bulky QLS stuff and just attach a simple Safariland belt slide, it isn't that bulky. In fact side by side with a leather OWB holster the difference is minimal with a significant uptick in retention, ease and speed, and certainly durability.

I love Safariland. (Except for their shitty bottom of the bucket website, yikes it is awful)

Edited: I pulled out my ALS 6378 for my HK P30. It has a simple belt slide. It is probably quarter inch thicker than a leather belt but snugs up very nicely to the body so it feels like less. YMMV I also find the faux leather lined ones feel less "bucket-ish". I like both though.

Posts: 7485 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Every few years, another company attempts to woo departmental beancounters by undercutting Safariland with a duty holster product that is cheaper (both in cost, and in quality). Just in the last decade or so, Blackhawk tried it, 5.11/Bladetech tried it, and now Sig/Aliengear is trying it.

So far, nobody has been able to make much of a splash. Safariland retains their near-monopoly of the market.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
Safariland needs some competition.

Their quality has suffered. I hate the 73xx series of injection molded holsters. Once they put out the bulletin saying that you should replace the 7360 I after being involved in a fight while wearing it, I was kinda done.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the 7-series are a big step down in quality. Luckily, they still offer the superior 6-series.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
...Money must be good...

^ This for sure, just like the $250 floor mat package every new car comes with; a huge cash cow

Last go; everyone in my company issued an M17 also had to sign for the Blackhawk holster; a big multi-configurable kit that could do drop-leg, OWB or attach to MOLLE; nice I guess, but really bulky, (Most guys bought something much slimmer on their own). Anyway, IIRC the value of what we were signing for was almost $300 (Damn, were not talking aerospace or weapon grade, its mass produced plastic and nylon). That was definitely one item they took back before demob.

Posts: 503 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I did not realize Sig was partnering with Aliengear to sell branded holsters. That explains why our Sheriff's department has been looking at the Aliengears. They evaluated a couple and have said good things about them. The retention devices function differently from what I'm used to with the Safariland ALS/SLS...not necessarily better or worse, just different. They do seem to function ok, but IMO they haven't been using them long enough to really test their durability. When I asked what's wrong with the current 6360s and why they would consider switching, I was told the Aliengears are cheaper.

From what I saw of them, I'd be pissed if you took my Safariland and replaced it with one of those things. I didn't get to actually use one myself, but I got a close look at a couple and got the impression that the overall build quality was not on par with the Safariland offerings. I've been picked up and thrown around by the gun in my Safariland duty holster in training, and I have full confidence in that piece of equipment. Normally I'm all for having options, but when it starts tempting administrators to cut corners to save a buck on something as important as a duty holster, it doesn't make me happy.

Sig has sold the linwe in the shop for some time. Marketing must have decided to put it out to the public.

As far as "duty", I doubt anyone is going to leave Safariland, which is specified for most agencies to move to them. Maybe some shooting competetive events might go with them,

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any chance this holster was chosen in response to the unintentional discharge complaints we've heard, especially from LE? I thought it might enable Sig to respond, "We recommend this holster, we even sell it." Were I a suit at Sig, I'd research or maybe even have designed a holster fully compatible with the gun to eliminate the mechanical factor and leave only the stupid factor.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like pedropcola I use the belt slide adapter. It will conceal under a vest or jacket pretty well but not so much with a t-shirt.
The paddle adapter sucks.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Yeah, the 7-series are a big step down in quality. Luckily, they still offer the superior 6-series.

Hate the 7 series personally.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
One thing I discovered is that if you remove the bulky QLS stuff and just attach a simple Safariland belt slide, it isn't that bulky.

I really like the idea of the QLS adapter. I tried using it so I could carry my duty gun in my duty holster for some off-duty security details that didn't require a full uniform and belt, and it was really convenient. Unfortunately, I have very bony hips, and the Durango isn't wide enough to accommodate me and the holster (stupid Chrysler built giant side bolsters into a seat designed for a squad car, and by extension guys wearing duty belts Roll Eyes), and that QLS attachment was leaving bruises when I wore it on duty. I'm back to the fixed belt attachment, which while narrower and more comfortable, is still digging a hole in the seat...

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post