SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sub compact 45 carry guns
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sub compact 45 carry guns Login/Join 
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted
My lovely wife recently tried to assist me in finding a new 45 carry gun, to wear in a non permissive environment at my new position. The Magistrates office I transferred to is in a liberal Mecca. While NC Statutes arm Magistrates, very few carry. And the office is in a Jail complex run be a democrat Sheriff - who is NOT pro 2A.

Uniform of the day is coat and tie, rather than office tactical as at my previous position. My 45 carry guns were all a bit thick and heavy to carry on the 10 hour shifts, without buying pants a size too big.

So, she contacted my friend who owns a shop and asked for his assistance. He must have a good sense of humor as he sold her a shield 45 for me. I have known him for over 25 years and he knows I despise striker fired plastic guns. But, he sold it to her at cost and encouraged me to try it or he would gladly take it back.

I have shot over 300 rounds through it breaking it in. It malfunctioned once, prior to yesterday, when I went to charge it with a mag of Winchester 230 grain RA45T. The first round up, nose diving and needed to drop the mag to clear it. No other malfunctions - till yesterday. Some co workers at the range wanted to try it. One brought some 230 WWB to run through it. He gave me 6 rounds he had left over and the shield 45 FTRB on the second round in the mag. I whacked the bottom of the mag and it went into battery and fired the rest of the rounds.

So, I am carrying my S&W CS45 today while working at the range and having to waste ammo running it through the shield 45 to see if I had an ammo problem, a gun problem or a mag problem. The gun was produced in August of 21 and the mags and followers are the latest revision. I cleaned and lubed it last night, to eliminate the possibility that dirt/grime was a factor.

There are so few options on the sub compact 45 market to choose from. The little 9mm sub compacts are all the rage and nobody seems to care that some of us prefer a larger caliber pistol. Hopefully a manufacturer will realize that there is a market for a small TDA 45 carry gun. Perhaps not a huge market segment, but it is there.

Until I can finish shaking out this plastic fantastic, I will carry my tried and true CS45. I should have just stuck with it to begin with. Anyways, until something else comes along, I don't have a choice. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting article and information.

I looked at a couple of positions in the NC Magistrates office but I never followed through. I always wondered what the environment would be like.

I know the Magistrates office I used to use in Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania VA was in an old house and most of the Magistrates were former Police Officers and they carried.

I believe (hopefully our Virginia members will correct me) the ones I know of relocated inside of an office building or the jail.

Well, I know Spotsy moved and Stafford's is inside the Jail complex because i interviewed there.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I am also a .45 fan, and regularly carry a P245, which is pretty similar in form factor to your CS45. The only other smaller option I can think of in .45 besides the shield is the Springfield XDS/XDE. I'm not an XD fan (not a hater, either...they just don't do anything for me), but my buddy's XDS has been reliable, FWIW. It's been discontinued, but they did offer the XDE in .45, and that had a hammer:

https://www.springfield-armory...tack-45-acp-handgun/

I think they were only recently discontinued, so if you look hard, you might be able to find a NOS or used one of those. Honestly, given your requirements, though, you may have the best option already in your CS45.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 92fstech,

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A used P250 Subcompact .45 is another option for a subcompact, hammer-fired .45.

However, it's basically the same size as your CS45 and weighs 1 oz more, plus the capacity is the same. So you're not really gaining anything, other than potentially greater modern holster/sight compatibility.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/sig-sauer-p250/

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by photohause:
https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/sig-sauer-p250/

None of those P250 pistols are in stock. (And they never will be.)

The P250 has been discontinued for nearly 5 years.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know you hate striker fired guns, but if you want a really sub compact gun that shoots well and carries equally as well, look at the Glock 39 in 45 GAP. It has the G26 frame with G30 slide. 6+1 with standard mag or 7+1 with the Pierce extension. Recoil wise, it is more than 9mm but less than 40S&W. I love mine and it is a sweet compact shooter. I reload so ammo is no problem, plus I have over 3k of Speer factory ammo.

2 mags 10 yds at a good pace.

Posts: 1097 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine carries an HK MK23 in a shoulder rig. No problems and that is a really big gun. Perhaps you should consider different carry methods insead of a different gun.

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACP1:
A friend of mine carries an HK MK23 in a shoulder rig.

Couldn't find a Desert Eagle?

Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I think your CS45 is a great option for the requirements you described.

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I'm bringing this up, but not necessarily recommending it. The Colt defender. 3" barrel 1911. There are other 1911s in the same size class.

That being said, short barrel 1911s have always had reliability issues. I can't say I know they've been worked out, and by which brand.

Also, as a general concept, the ballistic performance of .45 ACP out of 3"-ish barrels is pretty suspect. .45 is designed around 5" barrels. It's generally a slow round to begin with. Shooting out of a 3" barrel give up a lot of velocity it didn't have to begin with. In the 3" barrel length range, 9mm may just work better.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poppy6x
posted Hide Post
Disappointed in hearing about your experience with Shield. Although I don’t carry it, mine has been reliable thru some 500 rounds. For me, the Shields across the board have less felt recoil than comparable guns.

I also have officer size 3” Kimber and a Ruger and they have proved reliable. You might also consider some of CCO platforms, like the Sig C3.

As for striker fired options you might look at a Glock 36 single stack or the G30sf double stack. They’re snappy but reliable.

Sigs, HKs, S&Ws, Rugers, Wilsons, Nighthawks, Colts

Posts: 234 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
If you like and are familiar with 1911s you might consider the Sig Ultra .45 as a possible option. I carried mine with no issues for some time. Now that I'm in my mid 70's it just was on the heavy side for EDC so I got a Sig P938 in 9mm.
I agree with BBMW about the Colt Defender being unreliable so I sold the one I had.

Here is my Sig:

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I agree with BBMW about the Colt Defender being unreliable so I sold the one I had.

First I've ever heard of the Colt Defender being unreliable.

My 2nd 1911 was a used Colt Defender in .45 ACP. I ran everything I had through it, which incl. four or five different FMJ and seven (?) different JHPs. It fed every last one of them reliably.

And I shoot the thing damn near as well as I do my full-size Remington R1 Enhanced.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
UPDATE! I found the last brand new shield 45 mag in the city this AM. Wink That gave me three 7-round mags and one 6-round to test reliability - again. I also scrounged up 20 Sig Premium 230 JHP, 20 Speer Gold Dots 230 and 100 rounds of Federal 230 ball.

I thoroughly cleaned the shield 45 last night. Lubed it with TW25b. I did half of the shooting weak handed and strong hand only. The other half with a two hand hold, shooting fast. I also let an older retired guy I work with, who doesn't have any time behind small 45s run two mags through it. The good news is ZERO malfunctions. It ate everything. Including from the suspect mag.

The concensus is that I had a round with an excessive OAL. Thats from three other instructors with vast LE/MIL training amd experience - two of them armorers. So, confidence is restored. Smile

Thanks to everyone for all the info, leads and suggestions! It is ALL much appreciated!

Yes, I am aware of the decreased velocity from short 45 barrels. In my sub 4 inch 45 carry guns I run 185 grain Speer Gold Dots. One reason is that neither the CS45 nor the shield 45 like my old duty round RA45T. It is evidently too hot and causes feed issues with both guns. The 185 grain Gold Dots work reliably and have good ballistics out of short barrels.

I retired from Investigations after 20 years and took an appointment as a Magistrate. It was not something I ever considered doing prior, but I have 6 years behind me and 3 more to full retirement.

I appreciate all the suggestions for alternative small 45s! I do have experience with most of the models mentioned. At this point, I will continue to shake out the shield 45. I have only had it since November, so I need to give it a chance to work. I will say it is accurate. Especially inside of 10 yards. Wherever the front sight goes, the round impacts. Very easy to use close in. And no slouch at 25 yards either.

I still prefer the CS45, but that is just me. My late partner used a Colt Defender in 45. I was surprised to read about reliability issues with that model. IIRC, he reported never having a malfunction in many thousands of rounds. A fact that surprised him too. But, he kept it clean and lubed and had decades of shooting 45s in the Navy under his belt.

Thanks again all! I will come back and advise if I encounter any further issues with the pistol. And, I always have the excellent, albeit slightly thicker and heavier CS45 to fall back on. Regards 18DAI

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usncorpsman:
plus I have over 3k of Speer factory ammo.
Barely enough for a John Wick movie Big Grin

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second the Springfield XDE .45.

rambo

Posts: 243 | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you had success with the Shield.

Off topic: With you new position, will you be changing username? LOL

I carry my S&W 457 all the time; I am retired and don't have to wear a suit.........

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
LOL! Smile NO! Not changing user name. Or my stance on striker fired plastic. Wink

A 457? Now you're talking! I own two of those. One, an early production example with roll marks and forged parts which I had customized a few years back. Novak low mount rear sight and a Trijicon SA28 front sight. TercGen curved backstrap Delrin grip. GREAT 45! Mine was used in plainclothes and while working at the range. Very high round count, but still reliable and accurate.

Over the summer I picked up a very late production LE special order 457. Chock full of MIM with cheesy laser etched markings, but with no plastic parts. Novak low mount sights, metal mag catch and guide rod. Nice accurate pistol which sees its share of carry and shooting when I work at the range or on my own time.

I am currently waiting for my FFL to find me a clean low mileage 457. I am going to send it to a fellow "guzzitaco" over on the Blue Forum. He cuts the slides and customizes the 457 as well as other 3rd Gen guns. Makes them what they could have been, had S&W not gone out of business in 2001. Wink

The shield 45 is ONLY carried on duty in the Magistrates office. I have no other use for it. It was only along at the range because another employee asked to try it out. On my own time or off duty, I ONLY carry metal framed hammer fired 45s. The 457 is a favorite of mine. A VERY underated 45 carry gun. Regards 18DAI

posted Hide Post
Honestly, given your know affinity for steel S&Ws, I'd stay stick with what you know/love. I hope that 457 works out for you. The only small .45s I'm tracking beside the shield, are 1911s, the Springfield OSP, it looks like SIG dosen't even have their small 220s anymore.

One of the last handguns I sold, back when I worked a gun counter, was a 457. It's purchaser used to love to stop by and tell me how well it was running and how well it shot.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post