SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Best epoxy for applying silicon carbide to polymer items?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best epoxy for applying silicon carbide to polymer items? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I’d like to apply some silicon carbide to some items and eventually guns.

Which epoxy type material works best? Probably a 60 grit carbide.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am confused completely by the project. But if you want to just imbed carbide grip in a substrate for all practical purposes any two part epoxy will do and give the same result. I use West System which is primarily a boat building product but there are a zillion other choices that will give the same result. West System Gflex is easily available in small quantities as a suggestion. Now when you get to a steel, aluminum or polymer substrate (gun =steel? or al or polymer) then additional considerations may apply in terms of what works best and more specifically application techniques. But if we are just discussing 'grip' type applications strength really won't matter. Clean, sand and apply. Etch if its got any shear possibilities. I know a lot about epoxies if you can fill in some details.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Nothing fancy, just basically permanent sand paper grip “tape” on some polymer items rather than stipple. Things like AR-15 grips, P320 grip modules. Lots of how to’s but not as many describing what was used.

Small quantity experiment. I may try some for traction pads on the mower or something but that’s a bigger project.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never tried it myself, but here's somebody that just used Gorilla Glue two-part epoxy.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW...?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Continued posts with the gun show the silica still intact.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lots of how to’s but not as many describing what was used

I have no exact experience but industrial suppliers make things that bond well with plastics. ScotchWeld DP is one I have used. But they are pretty expensive. The internet shows several consumer products labeled for plastics like a JB Weld Plasticbonder product. But they seem to have colors if that matters. But in reality I think it matters not a hoot. You might have to waste a test sample but I would bet almost anything will be fine.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
I’d like to apply some silicone carbide to some items and eventually guns.
<snip>

Presumably you mean silicon carbide.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
You might have to waste a test sample but I would bet almost anything will be fine.

Who doesn't have an A2 pistol grip they can't quite bring themselves to throw away that they can sacrifice for something like this?

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used a simple two part epoxy from the local home improvement place. And since I live near the beach, I just collect and cleaned some sand. I also used a old sponge to add additional texture by pressing it lightly against the applied epoxy and sand. Came out great.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
I've used JB Weld "Clearweld" clear epoxy for grips and grip modules. I first started with CZ75 plastic grips with some additional plastic to get the grips to be more ergonomic for my hands, de-greased with alcohol and then coated with the 2 part epoxy and then continually "dusted" with 80 grit silicon carbide in a plastic box. You can reuse the silicon carbide that doesn't stick. Once dry they hold up pretty well, but a little "shedding" at first. I've also done it on SP2022 grips.
I've moved to LOK bogies palm swells on the CZ but only because it's easier. Not for performance.

Posts: 1789 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
It doesn't really matter which brand. Apply only a very thin layer.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks all!

Silicon, I stand corrected. Thank you.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I am confused completely by the project. But if you want to just imbed carbide grip in a substrate for all practical purposes any two part epoxy will do and give the same result. I use West System which is primarily a boat building product but there are a zillion other choices that will give the same result. West System Gflex is easily available in small quantities as a suggestion. Now when you get to a steel, aluminum or polymer substrate (gun =steel? or al or polymer) then additional considerations may apply in terms of what works best and more specifically application techniques. But if we are just discussing 'grip' type applications strength really won't matter. Clean, sand and apply. Etch if its got any shear possibilities. I know a lot about epoxies if you can fill in some details.

^^^ 100%

Personally, I just use skateboard tape. You have to cut it in order to make it bend, But if you wanna to epoxy grit, west systems is good stuff (speaking as a knifemaker who uses epoxy regularly).

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
The Home Depot/Lowes lock tight two part epoxy works just fine. I have a couple of 320 grip modules that I used silicone carbide 60 grit on. Grip tape lasts only a few matches, epoxied silicone carbide is forever.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrw:
The Home Depot/Lowes lock tight two part epoxy works just fine. I have a couple of 320 grip modules that I used silicone carbide 60 grit on. Grip tape lasts only a few matches, epoxied silicone carbide is forever.

I’ve only had grip tape need to be replaced every couple of years 3 to 5. Even with competitive shooting, it wasn’t anything I noticed.

But now I see you’re in Florida, and I imagine the adhesive doesn’t do well in the heat. It’s cold wet and rainy here so sticks fine.

Like I said… The epoxy guy above knows what he’s talking about.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrw:

Presumably you mean silicon carbide.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post