SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is the LCI now more or less standard on P320 pistols?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the LCI now more or less standard on P320 pistols? Login/Join 
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
More important, though, is this:

quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
c) Your brain puts the two images together and allows you to put the dot on your target

The brain does indeed allow us to “see” the dot with the eye that’s not looking through the sight, but does the apparent position of the dot remain in the same place?

I don't know because I've never measured it. I've only shot using that technique in 3-gun competition

The Course of Fire for a stage required that you shoot between the slats of a wooden fence. The spacing between the slats was large enough for the barrel/fore end to pass through, but the sighting plane was blocked. All the shooters before me were angling their carbines to align their sights with the opening between the slats to hit targets that were about 50 yards distant...that only added to the aiming issue with the sighting plane now running perpendicular to the drop of the bullet.

When I ran the stage, I stuck my barrel between the slats and held my carbine vertically. I could see the target between the slats, but the lens of my EOTech was blocked but the slat. I was able to place 2 shots in the down zero (-0) zone (8" circle) of each of 3 IDPA targets. I think part of the "trick" to making the technique work is to not "try to aim" but to let your subconscious take over and guide the alignment and press of the trigger...so, "See without Looking"

I know nothing about the displacement of the aiming point when the sight is occluded, but I know I can make it work within 50 yards under time pressure.

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14188 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Now that my interest in the question has been piqued, I’ll have to conduct some more experiments. I believe there’s an unused EOTECH in the agency storeroom and we have a couple of ROMEO2 sights that I can try at some point. I’ve also got a couple of sessions coming up in which I can try the technique with a rifle; hopefully I’ll remember to fit that in. As I mentioned, there seemed to be a lot of variation in the reticle shift based on head position and target range.

This isn’t the best thread for this discussion, but for anyone reading it here and who plans to use the occluded eye sighting method in a serious situation if necessary, I can only recommend that they check for any reticle shift with their sight(s) and also practice with the technique.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47413 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not necessary to open the front cover on the M68 rifle sight (Aimpoint CompM4) etc to see the dot assuming the correct aiming procedure -- both eyes open. Gotta admit I've not used this type sight on a pistol but it should be the same. Dirt on the front lens -- or the cover closed -- should not make any difference so the loaded chamber indicator is a non issue in this respect.

-- Chuck

"Never send a man where you can send a bullet."

Posts: 3034 | Location: Chesterfield, Virginia | Registered: June 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Now that my interest in the question has been piqued, I’ll have to conduct some more experiments.

My memory is failing me now as to the name of the sight, but it was the first time I'd heard of a red dot being used in combat.

It was during the Vietnam war, maybe the Son Tay Raid, where the sight was used on the M-16. It didn't have a lens at all, just a rear objective and the front was a projecting cut off cone.

I found it...the Armson Single Point OEG

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14188 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm liking the carry-handle mount backed up with electrical tape!

Posts: 8647 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
XM177E2. Slightly longer barrel than the E1 to allow fitting the (X)M203 grenade launcher. Original 30-round magazines had a habit of the follower hanging up mid-feed.

AKA "CAR15" for some reason.

-- Chuck

"Never send a man where you can send a bullet."

Posts: 3034 | Location: Chesterfield, Virginia | Registered: June 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post