SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P229 Slide discoloration origin?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229 Slide discoloration origin? Login/Join 
posted
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could ID what exactly happened/was done to the slide on this P229 (select?)
It doesn’t seem to be OEM but I wouldn’t know any better.
https://imgur.com/a/zRfD8pT

Posts: 2 | Registered: April 01, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
Looks to me that the metal is just " dry". Give it a good wipedown with quality gun oil. Let it soak in a bit then wipe off the excess. I've had many like it.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Absolutely dry. Wipe it down with an oil/CLP etc. of your choice.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Really can't tell much by a single picture. Could be anything. Dry, lighting manipulation, distress finish, etc. I'm going with lighting manipulation, since the grip color is not normal Select color.

Q

Posts: 26404 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
A recently acquired LNIB that looked the same. Wiped it down with a silicone cloth and looks great now.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Just looks dry to me. Should be good to go with a little lube and a wipedown.

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the answers. I didn't mention, it's a used gun I've been eyeing for a while. My only qualm was the the slide color. Ended up buying it! thanks again.

Posts: 2 | Registered: April 01, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Did you take that photo? Or, is it seller's? Many sellers' pics tend to have the overexposed look.

Oh, and don't expect the slide and the frame to match in "color", as the gun comes from factory. Aluminum (anodized) and stainless (Nitron) will always look slightly different, unless the entire gun has received a paint job, like Cerakote.

Q

Posts: 26404 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll echo what others have said. It looks like someone used a cleaner which stripped all the oil off. I quick wipedown with you oil of choice should restore the color.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post