SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Problem with sao legion 226
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with sao legion 226 Login/Join 
posted
I took my Legion 226 to the range for the first time yesterday. It was working fine and then after about 100 rounds of Wolf it started failing to lock back on the last round. I did not have another magazine with me to try. So what could possibly be the problem:
1. Break in
2. Magazine
3. Pistol was too dry ( did not lube it before taking it to the range
4 Weak ammo ( it works all my other pistols fine)
Anyone else experience this problem?

Posts: 139 | Registered: August 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's always a good thing to point out. But, I don't think this is the case, here. He was doing just fine, then it started to happen after 100 rounds.

It's weird that OP only brought one mag to shooting. Who brings only one mag to the range and shoots hundreds of rounds? So, I'll guess that he bought the gun used. So, mag would be the problem. Well used mag with weakened spring.

Also, not lubricating a SIG and just shooting it dry is not a good thing. Crud starts to accumulate as shooting goes on, and with no lube, it's a recipe for malhunctions.

Q

Posts: 26387 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd start there too. You may have changed your grip by the time the slide stopped locking back due to fatigue or similar.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Start simple; start with the grip as noted just above.

With my old DA/SA 226, I’ve never had my shooting thumb near the slide stop. But I have a sporadic problem with my SAO if I ride the thumb safety. More recently, I stopped riding the safety lever for several reasons, including clearance from the slide stop.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, lube that weapon.

I'm guessing this was one of the newer guns that shipped with only one magazine?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

That's always a good thing to point out. But, I don't think this is the case, here. He was doing just fine, then it started to happen after 100 rounds.

Fatigue or complacency maybe. I know it’s only 100 rounds to blame fatigue but he did only have one mag to load. Razz

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try different ammo, mags, and sessions. After 500 rounds call SIG Customer Service. Good Luck

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try some decent ammo on a lubricated clean gun. Its a given that dirty powder puff ammo causes issues with lock back.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Appreciate all the suggestions. Thank you.
It is a new gun an with new magazines. I suspect I should have lubed it. I am told Sigs are wet guns and like lube. I will try some different mags and lube it well next time I go to the range.
I assure you it is not my grip. After the next visit I will know a lot more about why the gun was not locking back.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:

Yes, lube that weapon.

I'm guessing this was one of the newer guns that shipped with only one magazine?
I thought all the Legions came with 3 magazines.

Posts: 111 | Location: Alabama | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARH19456:
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:

Yes, lube that weapon.

I thought all the Legions came with 3 magazines.

Nope came with three mags and I had purchased three more. I was in a hurry and stuffed the pistol in my range bag not expecting any trouble from it.

Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
Make sure the magazines are cleaned of sticky gooey preservative, inside and out.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
There are several things that can cause lock back failures, but in the situation described, I’d bet a bunch of nickels that it was due to lack of lubrication. As new the gun may have had some light preservative oil on the parts, but nothing designed for extended firing. As the friction of parts increases, slide velocity slows down, and at some point the slide doesn’t move far enough to the rear after the last shot for the slide catch lever to engage the intercept notch.

SIG magazines will usually continue to feed even with very weak springs, but that’s not something that would happen with a new mag. At one time factory mags came gunked up with heavy preservative grease, but I haven’t seen that in years.

Weak grip or failure to “lock” one’s wrist (however that’s accomplished) can theoretically cause a lockback failure, but it’s extremely rare with SIG Classic line pistols even when people try to induce it (as I have).

Apply some good lube to the gun and try it again.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Sig Legion P226 and use Wilson's Ultimate lube on it. It's fairly new and I've only shot a few hundred rounds through it however with the Wilson's lube 0 failures.

Posts: 140 | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post