SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Revolver Speedloaders
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolver Speedloaders Login/Join 
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted
I'm going to be getting a Smith & Wesson 629. What is the best speedloader to get?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Posts: 1922 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HKS has been around a long time and work fine. They are very easy to fill and drop the rounds in under gravity. Safariland is a little trickier to fill but push the rounds into the chambers with springs. As long as the rim of the loader clears the cylinder latch, you'll be fine with either.

Posts: 8957 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
My take on speed loaders:

HKS and 5 Star - fine for general range use. Requires two motions to load cartridges - insert/twist. Relies on gravity to chamber the rounds, so the muzzle must be pointing down. BTW - 5-Star release knob rotates the opposite direction from the HKS loaders

Safariland Comp I & II - Better for carry applications where concealability and speed are a concern. Just requires firm insertion to release the cartridges - no separate twist motion. Release button bears against the extractor star to release. Still relies on gravity to chamber the rounds. The Comp I has no top knob and must be grasped by the sides. The Comp II has a top knob making it easier to remove the loader from the carry pouch.

Safariland Comp III and Jet Loader - Competition style speed loaders. Single motion (insertion) to release rounds. Loader is spring-loaded and pushes the rounds into the chamber - does not rely on gravity. Large top knob for easy grasp and removal from pouch (not suitable for CC).

Dade & SpeedBeez (Centerfire) - both of these have a coil spring, around the circumference of the body of the loader, that retains the rounds in the loader. The top knob pushes the cartridge rims past the spring into the chambers. Prone to losing cartridges if dropped - not real positive retention.

Variant SL - I've never seen these used, but from what I've heard these were excellent. Unfortunately, it appears that the lone importer for these is no longer bringing them into the country.

The loader you choose may be dependent on application (comp v. carry v. range) or availability of a particular loader for a particular cartridge/firearm combination, so optimum applications may not always be achievable.

As an alternative, companies like TKCustom can machine the revolver cylinder to accept moon clips without losing the ability to still use speed loaders or load rounds singly.

EDITED TO ADD: Someone is making Variant SL copies. I have not seen one of these either, nor do I know if they are on a par, "qualitywise" with the originals.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1450 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I attended an excellent revolver “seminar” for lack of a better term- the revolver roundup at gunsite put on by a team of old school guys who were cops when the revolver was king. They were split about 50/50 on which they preferred HKs or safariland
The safariland is easier to load with no twist motion ( when using HKS you need to control cylinder motion to make sure you get the twist release to work) but the HKS has better cartridge retention if dropped. HKS probably a better choice for carrying loose in a pocket for example.
HKS are a bit cheaper and more commonly available and offer some that are not options for safariland in regards to gun models or calibers.

I have and use both and don’t really have a decided preference overall, though for bigger guns and reloading from a belt pouch I favor the safariland slightly. For out of the pocket with a snub I like HKS

Posts: 3292 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HKS or Safariland, either or. And check with TUFF Products for speed strips. Not as quick as speed loaders, but easy to carry. MTM Molded Products makes 6 and 12 round flat plastic ammo cases that are pocket friendly for revolver reloads.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Whatever brand you settle on be aware that many grips interfere with the reloader, ie hogue grips catch and block the HKS reloader for my model60.

I have thought long and hard about having my revolvers set up for moonclips, but eventually talked myself out of them because I rarely carry the revolver for CCW. If I did, I might have it done. Moonclips are faster than any other device.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Some good info here
https://youtu.be/oXUwI_d8JlA?si=mfI_8pxt5l3fKJqA

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3211 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
It may be some trial and error to see what works best for you. Typically I've used Safariland Comp I's. I like the simplicity of loading without having to twist a knob. That said, I've encountered some difficulty on release with my 629 and the heave hard cast flat nosed loads that I carry when concerned about bears. They have a slightly longer overall length where the release on the extractor star isn't as strong due the rounds making contact with the chamber mouth.

My local holster maker carries 5 Star and I recently picked up a few for my 66 and 7 shot 686. They do have a twist to release rather than just a simple push. They also seem to be a little lighter and a little lower profile than the Safarilands.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I prefer the safariland to the HKS but have plenty of both. I have a moonclip cut 642 and carry with a moonclip for ease of ejection of the spent cases but have a safariland reload. I haven’t found a way that I like to carry moonclips concealed.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote here for the HKS. I have some of the original metal ones that I have had since OL' Shep was a pup that have never failed. The method of having to turn the knob to release the rounds rather than push the button to release seems more secure. More than once I saw guys drop the push button ones and play pick up the bullets.

Posts: 146 | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Also consider the ammunition you will be using. Although they are fine as the "in-gun" load, semi-wadcutter-shaped bullets, with a pronounced shoulder, will hang up going into the chambers. For speedloader use you want a jacketed soft or hollow point bullet.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Safariland Comp 1 would my choice. Hks are ok, but Safariland are much better in my opinion.

Posts: 1559 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go with the Safariland. Way faster and not as complicated as you might think.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having carried a revolver as a duty gun HKS all day every day. I tried Safariland offerings but they were not as fast or reliable as HKS. The push type once got a bit of sand in it and totally locked up. Another time I dropped one while reloading and the rounds went everywhere. The HKS went through more abuse and always functioned.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone familiar with this product?
https://www.kaztac.com/product...oader-system-5-round
I stumbled upon it and considering ordering a couple when they are back in stock.

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amc:
Anyone familiar with this product?
https://www.kaztac.com/product...oader-system-5-round
I stumbled upon it and considering ordering a couple when they are back in stock.

Total junk don’t bother. We tested them at a revolver seminar last month and they didn’t work well at all

Posts: 3292 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Safariland Comp II. Comp I if concealment counts, but for a 629 that's not likely.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
You're unlikely to carry any .44 Magnum concealed, but if you do, "speed strips" conceal much more easily than speedloaders. I can tell you .38 caliber speed strips fit nicely, hidden from view but with the little "tail" still sticking out so you can easily grab it, in blue jeans watch pockets.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I have 5 Star speed loaders for my 6,7, and 8 round revolvers and an HKS speed loader for my J-frame. They all work like they are supposed to but I do prefer the 5 Star speed loaders.

I guess I should add that I really prefer the moon clips for my 686+ and 327 PC over any speed loaders.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ogie,

Posts: 6620 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this for concealed carry?

Posts: 447 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post