SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New to me 1911- need advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to me 1911- need advice Login/Join 
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
It’s your gun and not something with significant collectors value. Do whatever you like with it. I’d ditch those gripe though. They’re hideous.

If you decide it’s a shooter, some easier to see sights wouldn’t be a major issue. Slide is stainless, so they could just bead blast it to clean it up. Frame is aluminum, so prettying it up is a bit more difficult if you want the scratches gone. CCR did a 642 for me when all the coating wore through to shiny aluminum and did a fantastic job. You’ll never get that money back when you sell the gun, if you ever do, but it’s your gun and your money and if it makes you bapppy do it.

Me? I’d put some light colored wood grips on it and call it a day. It’s a neat old gun for sure.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Wait. Disregard the above. I just saw where you wrote that’s a late 60s gun. It’s not going to be stainless. Is that nickel or my eyes and monitor messing with me?

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not nickel. Slide is blued/black polished on sides and bead blasted on top.

Posts: 339 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The finish is in pretty good shape for it's age and if you bought it to shoot, I'd leave the finisb alone. Clean it and go shoot it and then decide what to do. The sites are horrible on those, and changing them would be a big improvement but take away from the carry aspect. If you want something with bells and whistles, go buy a new Colt that already has them. On the commanders the slide is steel and frame anodized aluminum. If I remember correctly. The Combat commanders were an all steel gun.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post