SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sight pusher vs. brass punch + vise
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sight pusher vs. brass punch + vise Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I purchased a Glock specific MGW. I was worth the money over time. Even installed sights for friends and co-workers. I just ordered a sight-tool.com unversal pusher to use on a sig p320. The only reason I don't like hammer/punch method is because I can't make corrections at the range if thongs aren't lined up properly.

Posts: 11 | Registered: May 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think both are fine, but the proliferation of guns with sights that seem to be hydraulic pressed in anymore make the punch method either not feasible or a risk of damage on some guns. I own one of the Glock specific ones, but I also have Wheeler's universal sight pusher. Reviews on the wheeler are pretty mixed, but I have used it on several guns including the tough to move M&P sights, and been satisfied.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First, I prefer hammer/punch. Second I have used sight pushers (borrowed) as well. Installed sights on my own classic Sigs, P320's and Glocks.

Some guidelines that may help:

1) If you are short on mechanical abilities and/or patience, use sight pushers.

2) If you are paranoid about damaging the slide, use sight pushers.

3) If you don't have a solid workbench and a large vise, use sight pushers.

4) The obvious benefit of hammer/punch is it works on nearly everything.

Some info for those interested in hammer/punch method. It's not difficult to learn. Personally, I find installations enjoyable and relaxing...as long as I exercise patience. Equipment is not an issue, since I have everything. What you need:

1) Patience. Installation can't be rushed. Don't try and fit it into a busy day. If you're having a major problem at some phase, stop and analyze it. Research it, Google it or whatever. Leave it until tomorrow if you're really aggravated. THINK about it before you screw something up. It requires common sense, not a PhD in mechanical engineering.

2) You must have a substantial bench vise and rock solid bench. Pad the vise. Should be something thin like masking tape. If you use something thick like duct tape, you may get some spring/movement in the slide. Any play or spring in the vise/bench will make life difficult.

3) Sights are different and may require different techniques. Some are designed to require fitting. Do your research. If you don't fit these properly you're likely to damage the sights/slide...regardless of which method you're using. My Heinie and Warren Tacticals required fitting, my Defoors did not.

4) You need more than one punch. It's not just a matter of whanging away with a brass punch. I have a nylon punch as well as brass. Also aluminum punches from Dawson modified to fit the narrow Sig front sight dovetail. I put masking tape over the tip of my brass and aluminum punches. I have a medium size ballpeen hammer that gives me a good feel. I wouldn;t use a full size hammer for this work.

5) Shape of the rear sight sometimes requires creativity. The rear Defoor sights I recently installed on my two G19's have sloped sides all the way down to the dovetail. No flat surface anywhere to make it easy. Used the end of a 1" square piece of hardwood (about 8" long) to start the sight after initially pushing the sight into the dovetail by hand. Once the bottom of the sight was within the dovetail, I could then gingerly use the taped brass punch.

6) With hammer/punch you can't adjust the windage at the range. Not a big deal. About 75% of my installs needed no adjustments. At home, on those that did, I just looked at the spacing in the dovetal, eyeballed and moved it. On these, they have only been off by 1-2".

7) I don't use Loctite, except for Glock fronts. If you eventually get any sight movement, you can uninstall, degrease and reinstall with Loctite. I've only had one rear that needed it. Especially on rears, I find it easier to lube the dovetail first.

8) Educate yourself. Lots of videos available. Dawson Precision has some very good ones using hammer/punch.
https://dawsonprecision.com/video-archive/

This isn't intended to be comprehensive. I just wanted to give a feel for hammer/punch for those considering it.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post