SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Back To The Beginning. A Range Trip With My P239 .40
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back To The Beginning. A Range Trip With My P239 .40 Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
I have to take some firearms courses this week and I got to thinking about my first serious carry gun and what I took my first carry permit test with and figured what better time to go back to the beginning to see if that little P239 and I still work well together.

I am happy to say the gun and to a much lesser extent, the shooter, performed well. This P239 .40 was my first serious carry piece like 20 some years ago.....how did that happen????? Frown

Much like most of you I surmise, I have chased fads, I've changed guns and I've learned alot in that time. That said shooting this gun was like coming back to on old friend and picking up like no time at all had been lost.

I still very much like the .40 caliber and enjoyed shooting this today immensely and I wouldn't feel one bit under armed with it today.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7880 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Very nice, I always liked the 239. I have some “old friends” that need to come out of the safe as well Smile Good shooting!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7072 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I've got one as well, I know how you feel. Every time I think of thinning the herd my 239 comes up, then I remember how well I shoot it and it goes back in the safe. Yes my P365 holds more rounds in a smaller, lighter package, but it's only a 9mm and it just doesn't feel as good as the 239.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11886 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am amazed how soft mine shoots for a small 40.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16389 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
A 239 40 cal is an amazing pistol.

Posts: 6592 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My dad has had a P239 in .40 since 1996
I've probably shot it as much as he has. Took my CHL class with it & have carried it a few times before I bought my P11 & P320.

My wife shot it once & put it down with a 'nope'. A bit too snappy for her.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15994 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
My dad has had a P239 in .40 since 1996
I've probably shot it as much as he has. Took my CHL class with it & have carried it a few times before I bought my P11 & P320.

My wife shot it once & put it down with a 'nope'. A bit too snappy for her.

The P239 .40 really needs a grip upgrade when purchased. It makes a huge difference. Then being able to shoot .357sig or 9mm out of it w/ some barrel swapping elevates it above the 225 for me.
So very accurate from a short barrel w/ sig reliability, it's a shame it was dropped from from the SIG menu.

Posts: 7486 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Even after recomending the P239 to a lady Bank Teller, I still called it a Duckling. I am ashamed. It is a sweet little Sig and I would be proud to own one in 9mm.

Posts: 17984 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Ironic... last week I flew down to Florida and took a two day defensive hand gun course a friend and I instigated taught by two LEO instructors....
The first day I shot my Legion P226 with a Romeo sight and then the second day I decided I really should do some serious practice with my carry gun. This is a Sig P239. The second day was all about moving and shooting.... some of it with a partner. There was a scenario where I had a bad guy (full silhouette target) at an angle about 30ft away and I put two holes in the 'twinkie' as the instructors called it. (3"x 5" spot center mass)

Even though I carry the pistol with 357sig ammo I used 9mm in this class... except for one scenario where I did switch over.

dsiets is right, I have no use for the factory grips. All mine have crimson trace combat grips on them.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Nice pistol and dig the grips. Cool
Mine has a 357sig barrel in it now but on occasion I will put in the 40.
Always amazed on the perfectly round holes in paper (all 40's seemingly so). Smile

Posts: 23213 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very nice cslinger! I think I shared somewhere else on here lately that I love the idea of the P239...the length of pull is just too short for my big hands. Doesn't stop me from ogling them, though...last one I saw was well used and they wanted $900 for it Eek!

Not a P239, but in the same spirit of your post, I recently put my OG Beretta 92 through a postal match stage at 25 yards. It was the first gun I ever bought back in 2006, I carried it for a while, and eventually it got shoved to the back of the safe in favor of newer (and smaller) carry options. Getting it out and shooting it the other day was exactly like you described...getting acquainted with an old friend. I've resolved to not let it go so long before the next time!

Posts: 9223 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
PS: Cslinger, RichardC suggested, and I wholeheartedly agree...you should come join us in shooting the postal matches over in the competition and training section. Based on your posts I think it would be right up your alley, and you'd fit right in!

Posts: 9223 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When the SAS in .40 came out, I got one. My issue gun was a Glock 35, so. Lots of ammo available. And, I liked the DAK trigger. No safety. No decock. Just a flat 8 shot revolver.

then I picked up a 357 SIG barrel and mags. Great combo.

Then traded a buddy out of his P239 DAK 9mm.

One of those has been my off duty carry gun 95% of the time since I got it. And now, pretty much full time since I retired.

The 9mm gets a lot more shooting now, just cheaper.

Posts: 892 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
PS: Cslinger, RichardC suggested, and I wholeheartedly agree...you should come join us in shooting the postal matches over in the competition and training section. Based on your posts I think it would be right up your alley, and you'd fit right in!

Ok I posted over there. Give me the cliff notes in that thread. I haven’t read the whole thing.

Dig the bone stock looking 92. I usually like “nicer shoes” on my Beretta’s but there is something purposeful to that gun.

As to the rest of the thread I’ve always loved the P239 even though it is the ONE SIG I tend to ride the slide lock on. I tend to revert to thumb over thumb with it.

I’ve spent so much time with my plastic/purely defensive stuff over the last few years I really need to get my guns like the 239 out more often. Not that I don’t enjoy the tactical Tupperware Glocks and HKs but there is something about steel and or alloy or a good revolver. Hell I’ve been tinkering with MRDS’s as of late and running that little old school SIG was refreshing. Sigh not enough time and money or points on the graph when they both meet. Smile. 1st world issues to be sure.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7880 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
cslinger— those 239s with the nickel slide usually had very good triggers. Almost like they had a very good trigger job.
I’m having a brain fart at the moment, but what was the name they called the nickel/nitron version like you have? It’s hell getting older.

Posts: 11155 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Sig 239 is an outstanding handgun. Mine is a 357 Sig and it's accurate and reliable. I like metal guns which feel good in my hand at the moment after I pull the trigger.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1606 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
I’m having a brain fart at the moment, but what was the name they called the nickel/nitron version like you have?

Two tone

Posts: 10061 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Thanks Excam_Man. Things just didn’t click.

Posts: 11155 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got it's sister except mine has green chain links, bought it over three years ago because evidently nobody wanted a two tone .40 P239 on Gbroker, other than +1 mag floor plate have changed nothing

Posts: 103 | Registered: October 21, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
My first .40 was this P239. Still shoots as straight as the first day.

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 881 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post