SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Slide serrations ( poll )
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slide serrations ( poll ) Login/Join 
posted
Talked with a pistol distributor today , in Idaho.

I asked about three guns and all three times he talked about "with or with out slide serrations "

He orders directly from a manufacturer , and the manu will make the 1911's with or with out .

The distributor has people that won't buy with serrations,and other don't care, and others only want them in specific locations on the slide.

I have never given this a second thought , my gun choice is what I like and offer .

Question:
How or when are the slide serrations an issue for you ?

Choices:
with or with out , either is fine
I like serrations all over the place
no serrations , any where and thats final
back only , not front
front only, not back
guns and peanut butter spreaders, they have to be perfect for me to purchase
it depends, I will explain with a post below
it never occured to me to give this any thought

Question:
Do you intend to offer a link in your post , should the option arise ?

Choices:
no never , I refuse under any circumstance
I will be glad to.
If I have the abaility , yes
it's too hard
what is a link ?
I always do

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54681 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a 1911 without some sort of serrations on the side of the slide. (Heck, I can't recall seeing any traditional semiuto pistol design with a reciprocating slide that didn't have some form of side serrations...)

I'm sure a full custom 1911 maker would make one for you with absolutely no serrations on the slide, but I don't see that being a common request at all.

The bottom line is that a handgun needs some form of serrations on the side of the slide. Period. Especially if it's going to be used to defensive purposes. Trying to rack a slide, in order to to chamber a new round after a reload, or to lock the slide back, or to clear a malfunction, would a very tough prospect with no side serrations. And it would become nearly impossible if your hands were sweaty/muddy/bloody/etc.

As to whether these should be just rear serrations as normal, or with additional front serrations as is becoming more popular these days, that's up to you. Personally, I don't see the real need for front serrations specifically. They kinda sorta help out with "press checks" for some people, but there are plenty of ways to easily and safely accomplish those without front serrations. They're a solution in search of a problem, in my opinion, but many people apparently like the way they look, if nothing else. (You also don't normally see pistols with just front serrations either. It's generally rear only, or front and rear.)

Are you sure he wasn't referring specifically to serrations just on the top of the slide? These are totally optional, and left up to personal preference. Top serrations were kind of emblematic of a custom 1911 at one point. Nowadays, some 1911s have them, but many do not. These consist of a flat ridge of serrations along the top of the slide between the front and rear sight. This was a popular additional for bullseye shooting competition guns back in the day, to reduce glare from the top of the slide on guns with shiny finishes. Nowadays it's mostly a cosmetic/aesthetic thing. But there are folks out there that still demand top serrations on their 1911s, and think they "don't look right" without them.

My bet would be that the guy you were talking to was specifically referring to serrations on the top of the 1911 slide, like so:

Posts: 32538 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
serration noun

ser·​ra·​tion | \ sə-ˈrā-shən , se- \
Definition of serration
1 : the condition of being serrate
2 : a formation resembling the toothed edge of a saw
3 : one of the teeth in a serrate margin

The definition doesn't match the physical description or it's purpose, so I prefer to use the term gripping ridges.

As RogueJSK points out, I'm not aware of a single manufacturer of production handguns that produces a model without any gripping ridges...and for the reasons he mentions.

Having said that, I prefer gripping ridges at the aft portion of the slide only. I prefer a "clean" or "sterile" slide, without all the additional logos or bill board warnings.

I find extra gripping ridges, as well as additional markings/ engravings are places that hold dirt/ dead skin/ skin oil and just tend to be difficult to clean, and in some cases can be places where light rust will start.

I don't like the aesthetics of the slide top anti-glare ridges, but when shooting in bright light they do tend to cut down on glare so I prefer them on guns with shiny finishes.

Pointless poll so I won't bother voting.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
For utility, I like front and back.
Ascetically and not being so hard on holsters, I prefer rear only. Other than race guns and weapons of war Wink I could probably get by with none. Front only on a custom 1911 just to be different and kill resale value. Big Grin

Guns where there's not a lot to grab, gimme some gription on the top as well. Those I rack with the "V" of my hand rather than my finger tips.

Link

Posts: 21115 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Front only on a custom 1911 just to be different and kill resale value. Big Grin

Interestingly, the Colt 1900, which was the earliest model in the line that would eventually be developed into the 1911, had front serrations only. Big Grin

These front serrations continued on early models of the Colt 1902, the next model in the family line, but were switched over to the more familiar and more traditional rear serrations partway through Colt 1902 production.

Posts: 32538 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spoke with the fella for 15- 18 minutes, am sure he was talking about the side serations, it's on $2,000.00 - $2.500.00 1911 pistols.

Posts: 54681 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now , what's up with the lines on top buisness ?

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Now , what's up with the lines on top buisness ?

They prevent glare and aid in sight acquisition in bright light/sunlight.

As to slide serrations I generally don't get too wrapped up either way but given my druthers I like a clean slide up front.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7686 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Front only on a custom 1911 just to be different and kill resale value. Big Grin

Interestingly, the Colt 1900, which was the earliest model in the line that would eventually be developed into the 1911, had front serrations only. Big Grin

These front serrations continued on early models of the Colt 1902, the next model in the family line, but were switched over to the more familiar and more traditional rear serrations partway through Colt 1902 production.

SEE! I KNEW I wasn't an internet tacticool poser for preferring front serrations for press checks! I just didn't realize my heritage until now. Smile

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
(Heck, I can't recall seeing any traditional semiuto pistol design with a reciprocating slide that didn't have some form of side serrations...)

ruger p89's and P90's had no serrations. It was a design feature which was intended to make them strange in every way.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by car541:
quote:
(Heck, I can't recall seeing any traditional semiuto pistol design with a reciprocating slide that didn't have some form of side serrations...)

ruger p89's and P90's had no serrations. It was a design feature which was intended to make them strange in every way.

Well I'll be darned...I had completely forgotten about that until your post reminded me of that fact. I guess the designers felt the combination of the stepped slide design coupled with the slide Safety/ Decocker, as well as the groove they rode in provided enough traction to omit the gripping ridges.

Your post kicked something loose in the back of my memory and while, technically, the Bren Ten has aft gripping ridges, they cover so little surface area of the slide as to be practically non-existent.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
How about this one? Razz

Q

Posts: 26443 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
How about this one? Razz

Big Grin

Almost looks like the designers ran pic rails down the length of the slide.

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
When front and rear serrations are just not enough.

Posts: 7424 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Ok, we're getting into 'cheese grater' territory now...anyone want some parmesan? Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
ruger p89's and

's had no serrations. It was a design feature which was intended to make them strange in every way.

will check my P90 , when I get home Big Grin

It's been tucked away for a while.
because I am Capt. oblivious Smile

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Thinking more about no rear serrations, I rarely use them, about all they do is keep the callus on the side of my thumb in check. Wink

Posts: 21115 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Those Ruger's had no serrations because there's no place to put them. Smile

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
How about some chaotic serrations? Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26443 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, I didn't like forward serrations at all, especially anything aggressive, or sharp. They were like rasps on leather holsters. They didn't look great either, and they ruined the concept of a smooth, snag-free pistol.

Serrations also encouraged putting the fingers near the muzzle of the firearm, with obvious drawbacks. Of course, most of us had no problem doing a press check on a 1911 with our finger a half inch below the muzzle, safety off, round in the chamber, either...

At one point, about twenty five years ago or so, front serrations became vogue, and they were getting slapped on everything. I had a 1911 I was dolling up, and planned to be trendy and get them cut. I never did, and it's still sitting in my safe, unserrated (and unfinished). The trendiness lost it's jazz.

Come back to today, the trend is here once more. I've found, however, that with the P320 and even newer pistols like the G48, I'm doing a press check with my hand over the slide, gripping the forward serrations, and I'm doing that more for dry fire because it's easy. My hand stays clear of the ejection port when I trap the slide from above in the web of my thumb, with the forward serrations and press with my other hand, and I'm still well clear of the muzzle. Kydex doesn't care much if I have forward serrations.

I'm thinking well-designed, well-placed additional serrations are a good thing.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post