SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New P320 - odd sounding pop during rapid fire sequence
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New P320 - odd sounding pop during rapid fire sequence Login/Join 
Bad Apple
of the AAP
Picture of 9mm_shooter
posted
While in a rapid fire sequence with my new P320, I noticed a hollow sounding pop sound. It failed to eject, but was out of battery when inspected. Smoke was coming out of the ejection port and from the magwell when ejected the magazine. I ejected the round, and inspected for a barrel obstruction or damage to the barrel, slide, ejector and extractor.

I then inspected the case. The suspect case is the one on the left.

I thought it could be that I managed to fire it while out of battery, but measured the case heads, and they all seem to be the same. Granted, this was just range ammo from Federal, so even if it was an OOB, I doubt it would be enough to damage the gun. I wonder if I could've gotten away with such a lucky outcome if it was with a hot 357 sig.

After careful inspection, I kept shooting it and all went smoothly.

Posts: 7793 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: June 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Based on what you’ve told us, my suspicion is that it was a grossly underpowered round. That’s supported by the odd discharge noise, the failure to eject, and the fact that the chamber pressure was evidently not great enough to expand and seal the case to the chamber wall to prevent gas from flowing back around the case and causing the soot deposit on the case. The smoke from the ejection port and magazine well also indicates that the case wasn’t sealed in the chamber properly.

Good that it didn’t leave the bullet in the barrel, but I also imagine that its velocity was low. Did you see where that shot hit in comparison with the rest?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad Apple
of the AAP
Picture of 9mm_shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Based on what you’ve told us, my suspicion is that it was a grossly underpowered round. That’s supported by the odd discharge noise, the failure to eject, and the fact that the chamber pressure was evidently not great enough to expand and seal the case to the chamber wall to prevent gas from flowing back around the case and causing the soot deposit on the case. The smoke from the ejection port and magazine well also indicates that the case wasn’t sealed in the chamber properly.

Good that it didn’t leave the bullet in the barrel, but I also imagine that its velocity was low. Did you see where that shot hit in comparison with the rest?

Thank you, you are probably right. No, unfortunately, I didn't see it hit paper.

Posts: 7793 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: June 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My vote is for a squib, too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't see the picture, but the description sounds like a squib round. The fact that it didn't eject, the pop sound, and the smoke from the firearm are all typical of a squib.

If the pistol has had the "upgrade," it shouldn't be able to fire out of battery.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like squib to me too.

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
There was a faulty primer or little/no powder in the case. You're lucky the bullet made it out of the barrel.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had the same thing happen with my PPQ using Fiocchi. Happened in 3 rounds out of 11 that I shot before I put the case away. Fiocchi replaced it.

You were good to notice it in rapid fire and cease.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am somewhere that I can see the picture now. The blackening on the case is indicative of a low power round; the brass case did not expand to seal in teh chamber and experienced blow back in the chamber. Low pressure, the bullet just pushed out, and the back pressure past the case to blacken it, and produce the smoke in the mag well, as reported. Typical of a low pressure round.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad Apple
of the AAP
Picture of 9mm_shooter
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your input. It's greatly appreciated.

posted Hide Post
quote:
this was just range ammo from Federal,

Stuff like this keeps turning up. I think Covid/Floyd panic increases in production has led to a reduction in quality.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Man it sure sounds like a squib. I shutter with that sound..

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post