SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P-226 Pro Cut Slide
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P-226 Pro Cut Slide Login/Join 
posted
I wanted to update my older P-226 and Sigs' new Pro Cut Slide with optical mounting plate looked like the real deal.
Ordering it was a snap and about a week later it arrived.
Machining was flawless and my original barrel and recoil spring fit perfectly.
Color was a dark gray and it didn't match my older 226 frame well at all.
Cosmetics...I didn't really care.

But the problem started when I tried unscrewing the opitcs plate to mount my RMR Trijicon sight.

The hex head bolts wouldn't budge. I ended up ruining 3 little wrenches trying to get them off.
The bolts themselves got scuffed a bit too.

Sigs Custmer Support agent was great and told me they were loctited in...he thought they might use red loctite and suggested I take it to a gunsmith who should use heat to help break them free and removed them.

I did...about about 20 minutes I was told he couldn't get them to budge and leave it for a few hours so he could work on it a little more.

When I asked abiout damaging the screws further, and if it would be better to just send it back to Sig, he agreed.

Called Sig back, had not trouble getting a prepaid RMA and repair order and now have a shipping mission to deal with.

Sig CS said they'd replace the bolts with new ones and return the slide without any loctite.

Figuring if I see it back in 2-3 weeks I'll be lucky.

Do I need the aggravation?

No

Do I need the Procut slide and RMR Mount capability?

No

But to keep my 226 current and use my RMR, it's worth the time, effort and expense.

If you're thinking about getting one for your 226...be warned the color may not match well...if you care.
And it may be extremely hard to get the optical mounting plate off cleanly without scuffing up the bolts and ruining a wrench.

I'm told the product is so new, replacement bolts are not even available now.

Kicker is, my P210 and German X5L1 are my precision 9mm Pistols and the 226 in the past has served as my .357 sig shtf pistol and with the .22 conversion kit....an affordable and accurate Rimfire Trainer.

PS: If you're looking for a .22, keep an eye out for a possible upcoming Sig 322....according to a little birdie.

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quick Update:
At Sigs Customer Support recommendation, the slide was shipped back on their dime to remove the optic plate and replace the screws.
They turned it around the same day...and it's on the way back.
I'm told there's a note to the factory about how they are loctiteing it together. I hope they're using something other than the RED product I was told they were using.

They said just screw the RMR into the slide and its' ready to go.

BUT

It took 3 calls to get a consensus that the original plate screws are made for holding the plate only and what are the actual mounting screws needed to attach the RMR.
I got several different specs for them and was pushed off to Trijii for mounting info.

But Trijii says the screw specs come from Sig not them.
They advised it's not just a matter of screwing the RMR in, it requires a "Mounting/Sealing Plate" to properly cover and waterproof the battery compartment of the RMR.
No Biggie: Their plate costs $9 bucks.
What about the screws and the proper specs?
I have several inbound and I hope they work.
I hope to have everything done by next week for testing/zeroing.

Hard Reality: It's a nice project and the final result should be a nicely modded 226 with an RMR sight.

But my precision 9MMs are a German Mastershop X5L1 and a P-210 Target.

I'll be very surprised if the 226 outshoots either in my hands.

Pix to follow.

Anyone know for SURE what mounting bolts, twist/length work on the new Sig ProCut 226 slides?

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig should be able to tell you the spec's on the needed screws. Length not sure. I have some spare screws for my machined slide 229 that I can measure and post the length. That should be in the ball park.

Posts: 196 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mounting screws are a flat head style with a hex drive. Overall length is .482 inches.These are for mounting my RMR on a slide machined by ATEi. Hope the info helps.

Posts: 196 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post