SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger you need to make one more semi auto
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger you need to make one more semi auto Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Best answer for 357 Mag. 1911 is the 10mm.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1532 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

I will go look for another person to contact , to help get me in..

If by "in" you mean registered for the Ruger forum, there's no signing up at the moment. (or for a while now) Upgrades are in the works however.

Just curious, which Ruger forum?

www.rugerforum.com
is the forum that I signed up for 15 years ago

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:

That would be the rugerforum.com one, been a member there for a long time....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
Desert Eagles were made in .357. Had one for a while, functioned well, loved the accuracy. However with that small hole in the same barrel blank it was a heavy SOB.

The earlier Mark 1 Desert Eagles were lighter than the current models they have now.

They can still be converted to .41 and .44 later.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
FWIW, someone at some point necked down the 10mm (rather than the .40S&W) for a .355" or .357" bullet.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Dillon gets the credit but it was apparently first wildcatted in Australia.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
FWIW, someone at some point necked down the 10mm (rather than the .40S&W) for a .355" or .357" bullet.

9x25mm Dillon is 10mm necked down for a .356" 9mm bullet.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I always kinda wished that the 9x23 Winchester had gotten further than it did, too. The 357SIG is good, but only so long and with only so much neck.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I will go look for another person to contact , to help get me in..

If by "in" you mean registered for the Ruger forum, there's no signing up at the moment. (or for a while now) Upgrades are in the works however.

www.rugerforum.com
is the forum that I signed up for 15 years ago

Thank you both for the info. I belong to rugerforum.net and have for a long time. I don't participate much but I recently purchase a Mk IV 22/45 Tactical along with a Vortex Venom red dot. I will try your forum and see what it is like. Thanks again!

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Just like SIG should make the 10mm P220 and the staggered-column (double stack) 45 ACP P220 that people here clamored about for years and then were such commercial successes after they were actually produced—? Roll Eyes

Wink

This. When it comes time to actually open the wallet, few do.

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:

.com has ben around since 1999.
.net is much much newer.

Someone wanted to be more important than they were, so they left.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

.net is much much newer.

Ahhh. I get it.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigNull:
I just wish they had an SR1911 38 Super

that would be a relatively easy conversion,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
My Dad has a Colt 1911 in .38 Special that he had a gunsmith make for him in the '60s when we lived in Hawaii. I guess it used to be a thing. I don't remember him ever shooting it though.

That doesn't really have anything to do with the subject of this thread but it made me think of it. So, there ya go.

do you know which smith did the work?

(some bring a big premium)

Colt also made a factory 1911 in 38 special,
called the Colt NM Midrange

5 shot bullseye pistol

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

.net is much much newer.

I tried registering over there(.com) and I can't figure out how to do it. Am I missing something?

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

.net is much much newer.

I tried registering over there(.com) and I can't figure out how to do it. Am I missing something?

From CAS, on the previous page of this thread:
“If by "in" you mean registered for the Ruger forum, there's no signing up at the moment. (or for a while now) Upgrades are in the works however.“

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

do you know which smith did the work?

(some bring a big premium)

Colt also made a factory 1911 in 38 special,
called the Colt NM Midrange

5 shot bullseye pistol

I haven't seen the pistol in a long time but I think it was a Colt National Match 38 Special. I don't know what work my Dad had done to it or the gunsmith's name but I'll ask him next time I call him.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

9x25mm Dillon is 10mm necked down for a .356" 9mm bullet.

Awesome cartridge, I got a 9x25 barre about 10 years ago and still have around 1500 rounds of ammo for that cartridge. Barrel is for a Glock 29.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by sigNull:
I just wish they had an SR1911 38 Super

that would be a relatively easy conversion,

Maybe, and maybe not.

You can try putting a .38super upper [barrel and slide] on the .45 frame, however the feed ramps built into the frame have slightly different angles. As such, you may not get reliable feeding with the .45 feed ramp angle and a .38super non-ramped barrel.

The easiest way to do a conversion that works well from .45 to .38super is to have the frame milled for ramped barrels, and then change to a ramped barrel for both .45 and .38super.

Also, the ejector for the .38 is thicker [sideways = thicker, not taller], to accommodate the narrower shell.

To make sure it works well, you can probably get away with the .38super ejector for both, but you will THEN have to mill a wider ejector slot in the .45 slide.

It can be done, and, if you have the tools/know-how, you can do it. I just don't know anyone with the milling equipment for the barrel ramp cut in the frame, so that is a gunsmith issue.

I figure- Complete Upper [RIA parts] costs somewhere around $300-350 at low end for ramped barrel, slide and parts. It could be as high as $750 for a Caspian Slide, Wilson Barrel, EGW bushing/firing pin/extractor/FPstop plate, and then sights can run $50-230 for the set also.

And then there is the milling of the .45 slide [i did it with a file for one slide, but another I had it done].

And then there is the milling of the frame- probably at least $75 in labor, and possibly more.

And then there is the new .45 ramped barrel.

I figure you would be able to convert it to a reasonably reliable gun for about $600, or to a VERY reliable gun for around $1100.

Compare that to the price of a new gun in .38super or 10mm.

Or, you COULD get lucky with a barrel and slide [remember- base of .38super is narrower, so it requires a slide with proper breech face cut to get extractor lined up].

I have a couple of .38super barrels I could sell you for around $50 each and you could see? I didn't have any luck, and never 'fit' them, so I didn't cut them/file them. Maybe your frame/slide are different and you will be better off?

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post