SIGforum
Springfield Prodigy (2011 clone)

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/6470034494

September 11, 2022, 04:01 AM
Chowser
Springfield Prodigy (2011 clone)
PSA for those of you that bought the gun: PSA has the 17 and 26 rd mags in stock for $50.
Some discount (5%) pops in if you add to cart.

Not minority enough!
September 11, 2022, 08:40 AM
rlbuzz
I've been hearing rumors that Springfield Armory isn't actually manufacturing the Prodigy DS and that it is being built for Springfield by Alpha Foxtrot.
Can anyone either deny or confirm this?
September 11, 2022, 09:14 AM
1KPerDay
https://youtu.be/mzvFW_-Juok

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.
September 11, 2022, 02:40 PM
2PAK
I'll stick with Staccato for a 2011.
September 11, 2022, 03:46 PM
.38supersig
The Prodigy offers a heck of a value if you are in the market for a 2011 (I am) in 9mm (I am not).

I'd stick with SVI for a 2011.

September 13, 2022, 02:18 PM
monoblok
Iron Curtain states can rejoice (sort of); Springfield offers blocked 10 round magazines in all three sizes. We just ordered a bunch of Prodigies and a handful of each of the dumbed down magazines. Kinda weird I know, but no stranger than 10 round 5.56x45 PMAGs made to look like their proper 30 round siblings. Pretending is such an important thing to one's psyche...I guess... Roll Eyes

-MG
September 13, 2022, 02:31 PM
Ryanp225
Very cool pistol but I don't need another super expensive vise. I can barely afford ammo for shooting matches this summer without having to outfit another platform.
I wish I could though. That pistol is slick.

quote:
Iron Curtain states can rejoice (sort of); Springfield offers blocked 10 round magazines in all three sizes.

Let's hope they are like the S&W ban mags and are the same tube with a blocker spring inside. One order from Wolff and all is well since it's illegal to sell them it's still legal to own them .
September 13, 2022, 03:15 PM
CQB60
It’s a value from its price point, especially accessories and can certainly cut into the Sticatto margins and bottom line. I’m certain there is some concern in sticatto HQ. However as much I like the gun, I don’t see myself buying one. I’m done with big / heavy pistol's that would only Serve as a nightstand alternative for me. Can’t wait to see further conversations from folks who’ve opted for one.

September 13, 2022, 09:19 PM
mike56
Think Staccato will be concerned enough to lower the price point?
September 13, 2022, 11:15 PM
deadmanmike
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
Iron Curtain states can rejoice (sort of); Springfield offers blocked 10 round magazines in all three sizes. We just ordered a bunch of Prodigies and a handful of each of the dumbed down magazines. Kinda weird I know, but no stranger than 10 round 5.56x45 PMAGs made to look like their proper 30 round siblings. Pretending is such an important thing to one's psyche...I guess... Roll Eyes

I haven't seen SKUs for any of these, can you send them my way?

=============
Certified Sig P-Series Armorer
Certified AR-15/M16/M4 Armorer
Certified 1911 Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Sig P320 Armorer
Certified Glock Advanced Armorer
Certified MPX Armorer
Certified MCX Armorer
September 14, 2022, 07:05 AM
DanH
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:

Sales would have to go down for that to happen. Right now, they’re selling everything they’re making very quickly.
September 14, 2022, 08:36 AM
DaBigBR
quote:

Doubtful. They already lowered the price point a bit a couple years ago. The optics ready guns went from $2499 to $2299 (C2) and $2399 (P).

They sell everything they make and short of going to a lower quality finish and MIM internals, there isn't going to be much they can do to cut costs.

I think Dan Wesson is a good parallel in the 1911 world. A Springfield 1911 costs 75% (or less) of what a Dan Wesson does, but the Dan Wesson has tool steel internals and is built in much smaller quantities with much greater attention to detail. They still sell every gun they build, too.
September 14, 2022, 12:45 PM
CQB60
No. I suspect their marketing team will attempt to differentiate the differences and value through material qualities and current operators..
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:

Sales would have to go down for that to happen. Right now, they’re selling everything they’re making very quickly.

September 14, 2022, 02:21 PM
Benderx4
In the past I've owned both a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 and a TRP as well. The features, fit, and finish were demonstrably different considering the two price points. I'm curious where the Prodigy series will fall on that "quality spectrum"?
September 14, 2022, 04:11 PM
DaBigBR
Hilton Yam's 24 minute technical breakdown of the guns is pretty good:

https://youtu.be/mzvFW_-Juok

(Posting on my phone, so I can't embed)

Hilton has significant experience with the 1911 and 2011 platforms and previously worked for Staccato as a contractor setting up their training programs.

I personally give considerable weight to his thoughts.
September 14, 2022, 05:49 PM
DanH
After watching that video, the two things that stick out is if I buy the 5” I’m buying a Dawson Precision Tool-Less guide rod instead of Springfield’s 2 piece. The other is I’m a little bummed that magazines aren’t cheaper. Their sticker price is $59.99 although I’ve seen cheaper at other places.
September 14, 2022, 07:12 PM
bac1023
quote:

No
September 14, 2022, 10:35 PM
monoblok
Visited the kind folks at Rainier Arms today and had a chance to handle a couple of Staccatos, including the P in 9mm. I was surprised at how light the Staccato was; it's been a few days since I handled the Prodigy DS but I don't recall the same impression when I first held the Springfield. Granted it wasn't a true apples to apples comparison since the 5" DS is about .6" longer in slide and barrel, but the Staccato's mass reminded me more of a heavier polymer striker pistol than a typical 1911 (maybe an alloy frame 1911 perhaps). No surprise that the P had a nicer trigger both in pull and reset, but the two are closer to one another than they are further apart. I can't say much about fit and finish differences since I didn't look at the DS that closely when it was in our shop. But the P was pretty nice. I'm not regretting my EDC X9 purchase, but I think I would've been equally happy with either one.

Despite the build and material differences as cited in the excellent Hilton Yam video, it still seems like Springfield did a pretty good job of mimicking a 2011...at least in appearance. However I have noticed more than a few postings on the web and even on YT that were critical about the initial reliability of the DS. But to that I say: it's still at its core a 1911. Some of them will run great right out of the box. Others will not, which I would think is not that surprising considering that it's a first-time design type from the manufacturer.

Then again, maybe that's one of the things that the extra money to Staccato will get you.

-MG
September 14, 2022, 10:38 PM
monoblok
quote:
Originally posted by deadmanmike:
quote:

I haven't seen SKUs for any of these, can you send them my way?

When I return to work tomorrow I'll see what I can do.

-MG
September 14, 2022, 11:49 PM
DaBigBR
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
After watching that video, the two things that stick out is if I buy the 5” I’m buying a Dawson Precision Tool-Less guide rod instead of Springfield’s 2 piece. The other is I’m a little bummed that magazines aren’t cheaper. Their sticker price is $59.99 although I’ve seen cheaper at other places.

Dealer cost is low enough on them that there is some room to sell them below MSRP and still keep the lights on, however demand will drive the market for a while. There might be some in the classifieds...

Triarc Systems offers their mags, which are the same OEM as Staccato at $50 for general purchase and $40 for LE sales (when available). The downside to the Triarcs is their polymer baseplates are not very good and I have had them shoot off of several mags. A metal baseplate adds about $15 and makes up a lot of the difference between their mag and Staccato's.

quote:
Visited the kind folks at Rainier Arms today and had a chance to handle a couple of Staccatos, including the P in 9mm. I was surprised at how light the Staccato was; it's been a few days since I handled the Prodigy DS but I don't recall the same impression when I first held the Springfield. Granted it wasn't a true apples to apples comparison since the 5" DS is about .6" longer in slide and barrel, but the Staccato's mass reminded me more of a heavier polymer striker pistol than a typical 1911 (maybe an alloy frame 1911 perhaps). No surprise that the P had a nicer trigger both in pull and reset, but the two are closer to one another than they are further apart. I can't say much about fit and finish differences since I didn't look at the DS that closely when it was in our shop. But the P was pretty nice. I'm not regretting my EDC X9 purchase, but I think I would've been equally happy with either one.

Despite the build and material differences as cited in the excellent Hilton Yam video, it still seems like Springfield did a pretty good job of mimicking a 2011...at least in appearance. However I have noticed more than a few postings on the web and even on YT that were critical about the initial reliability of the DS. But to that I say: it's still at its core a 1911. Some of them will run great right out of the box. Others will not, which I would think is not that surprising considering that it's a first-time design type from the manufacturer.

Then again, maybe that's one of the things that the extra money to Staccato will get you.

Was their Staccato P steel framed or aluminum? They make both and the aluminum is noticeably lighter.